C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cfi to carb or supercharger whats needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cfi to carb or supercharger whats needed

Well i have a 82 cfi ive been working on and is giving me a very hard time i might be considering changing over to carb or even supercharging it what would be process and whats needed also whats the pros and cons thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lancer013
Well i have a 82 cfi ive been working on and is giving me a very hard time i might be considering changing over to carb or even supercharging it what would be process and whats needed also whats the pros and cons thanks in advance
The 82 guys should be able to help you figure out your current setup and get it going smoothly if that's what you want. I see threads on it occasionally, you may want to go check them out.

Going to a carb would eliminate all of the electronics and fuel injection components making things simpler, but again not knowing the 82's well, wait for some first hand experience.

As far as supercharging, that is almost worthy of a separate thread as it is its own can of worms. One, you will not be able to go this route with the stock 82 system, you'd almost have to go carb or an aftermarket EFI system. Also, what type of supercharger are we talking, centrifugal or roots? The centrifugal will need engine accessory and bay layout considerations, and a roots needs a large cowl for the smaller options or a hole cut with a big X-71 sticking out of it.

...Instead of me making assumptions, it can help to provide us your mechanical experience and sometimes age? This will help with how detailed a technical response needs to be and assess how realistic your goals are. Also, just as important, your budget.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:34 AM
lancer013
Instructor

I was thinkin weiland 6-71 or 144 something roots ill probably get a bigger hood i was thinking of goin supercharged rought because im asuuming i would have to just get intake setup and hei dist and regulator with reutrn no one in hawaii works on cfi
Old 08-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lancer013
I was thinkin weiland 6-71 or 144 something roots ill probably get a bigger hood i was thinking of goin supercharged rought because im asuuming i would have to just get intake setup and hei dist and regulator with reutrn no one in hawaii works on cfi
If your looking for power your better off buying a set of heads, cam, intake and exhaust.

The 82 L83 motor with cast pistons and 9:1 compression is risky at best with a Weiand 144. Maybe with very minimal boost, perfect timing, and kept cool you'd get away with it, but any of those goes wrong and you're into detonation and shattered pistons. (The 144 fits underhood with a 4-5" cowl)

The 6-71 will stick through the hood and makes no sense to put on a cast piston 9:1 stock bottom end motor.

So no, your assumption is wrong. A supercharger is much more involved and wants a purpose built bottom end with low compression. On the other hand with 9:1 compression, throw a set of 64cc heads to bump it to 10:1, put a decent cam, exhaust, intake & carb, you've got a healthy (and much more reliable) naturally aspirated street motor.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 08-06-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:25 AM
lancer013
Instructor

Will look into it of goin just carb i was thinking 142 or 144 also just for the whine

Get notified of new replies

To Cfi to carb or supercharger whats needed

Quick Reply: Cfi to carb or supercharger whats needed