C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Control Arm Choices for Coilovers and Maximum Caster

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Aftermarket Control Arm Choices for Coilovers and Maximum Caster

I have a 69 iron head big block vert. This winter I want to replace my stock front control arms/coil springs with new aftermarket arms and coil-overs. I don't autocross or race but I'm wanting coil-overs for height adjustability and new upper arms in particular to maximize caster. I have power steering and the steering feels very light, with not enough feel, particular in turns. I've had an alignment and was only able to get a little over 2.3 degrees caster with the stock arms. My control arm bushings and ball joints are all original and due for replacing in any case.

There are a lot of options out there, particularly for the upper arms. I'm hoping to hear some pros/cons from people who have installed them.

I really like the looks of Global West's arms. Their lower arms look pretty beefy and are made for coil-overs. I talked to one of their techs who says I can get about 5 degree caster with -0.5 degrees camber or over 6 degrees caster with -2 degrees camber. How would that ride on the street? I know next to nothing about alignments, but -2 degrees camber seems a little much for street driving. Is 5 degrees caster enough though?

Anyone here using global west arms? What caster were you able to get?

Ridetech's are too much $ for my needs so I'll eliminate them for now.

Van Steel's coil-over kit is a little more expensive than Global West and to my untrained eye doesn't seem as strong, but their published alignment specs look better. I have seen a lot of posts here from people who are happy with this kit. Is there anyone that can compare/contrast Van Steel to Global West?

Another option is to get SPC's uppers. The price is right and I could get rid of the alignments shims. What sort of alignment specs has anyone gotten out of them?

SpeedDirect has a nice looking coilover kit, but it is more expensive than Van Steel's. I haven't seen any alignment specs. Could anybody running this setup comment on them? What's the max caster you were able to get?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I went the alternative route. QA1 dual adjustable coil over front shocks long slotted upper a arm. VB P front bar

I have 6.6 caster and -.43 camber. Zero toe

I presently have 650 # front springs
Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I'm using the Speed Direct coil overs with VBP upper box tube A-Arms.

I don't have my alignment sheet with me but it was around 5 Degrees caster.

Overall it works really good and drives very straight at 80MPH.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 PM
danc24
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkull
I went the alternative route. QA1 dual adjustable coil over front shocks long slotted upper a arm. VB P front bar

I have 6.6 caster and -.43 camber. Zero toe

I presently have 650 # front springs
Thanks gkull. I went back and found one of your posts at https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tock-arms.html. I don't know how I missed it before. Another forum member posted in the same thread that 3 degrees caster was all he could get with the global west arms without messing camber up too bad. I think that eliminates the global west arms for me.

I had looked at just slotting the upper shafts, but thought I had read the most you could get would be 3 - 4 degrees caster. How much bigger did you end up making the holes?
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I'm endorsing the SPC uppers. No shims req'd which in particular solves a lot of fitment problems with an LS motor. Can't say anything about a big block. Greasable fittings a definite plus although the fittings are a bit hard to get to in our cars.

Unfortunately I can't give you a number on caster but I was able to dial in enough that the inner fender well became the limit. I bought these with the tall ball joints and had no problems getting to 2.75 camber for my race tires. Pretty much no bump steer with some VBP spacers as part of my mod's.

A downside is there is no bump stop which troubled me. Mark Savitske claimed that the shocks did all that work anyway and since I don't do any off roading he's probably right. He was pretty friendly and if you speak directly with him he might be able to give you an actual number on caster.
The following users liked this post:
Illegal Vette (06-04-2017)
Old 08-08-2016, 05:23 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I am about to pull the trigger on the Global West uppers and lowers. Doing Ridetech in rear but am staying with 15 inch wheels so don't need the front. Everybody seems to rave about the Global Delrin bushings. Probably will go with the extended travel lowers. Probably will use Ridetech Coilovers. Global stuff looks very beefy and strong but heavy lol. Another option to check out is Jimmy Meyer racing. Nice stuff also and have an adjustable upper arm also I believe.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 PM
reefrashralph
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got mine from speedderect spendy but i got what i wanted
Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Just picked up a set of Van Steel's lower arms on ebay. They have the delrin bushings also.
Now on the hunt for the uppers.
Already have QA1's latest coil overs for the front.

Getting close to Fall frame off.

Yeehaw!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Just picked up a set of Van Steel's lower arms on ebay. They have the delrin bushings also.
Now on the hunt for the uppers.
Already have QA1's latest coil overs for the front.

Getting close to Fall frame off.

Yeehaw!
Good for you Dennis! Will be back in town at end of October for some heavy lifting.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'm really doing a "Grand Touring" type car....

Vansteel has been doing it the longest...has an impeccable reputation and the guys were great to deal with.

I went w/ front and rear coilovers from them.

DSCN3920_zps92fb8c93 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I also have the GW, very happy with them. My inner fender with 27" tyres (255/50r17) are the limiting factor for my caster which is about 5.5 degrees. I have a bit less than 1.5 degrees neg camber, but could reduce that if I wanted to.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

I am just in process of fitting the Global West upper and lower arms on my 71.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ourney-45.html

Had 3+ Degrees of caster with stock but expect more now and better suspension travel for shock when lowered.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:58 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Disappointed with the GW upper arms. 3.5 * caster is the most I can get w/o jacking up the camber. 1.5* camber will wear the tires badly
Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 AM
danc24
Instructor

I really liked the look of Global West's arms, very stout, but sounds like it is questionable that I would be able to get the caster/camber combo I want with it.

For those with Van Steel's arms, are the delrin bushings self-lubricating or do they have a grease fitting?

Another option I forgot is TRZ Motorsports. Looks very similar to Van Steels but maybe a little cheaper. Anyone out there using TRZ? If so, what's your alignment specs?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by SH-60B
Disappointed with the GW upper arms. 3.5 * caster is the most I can get w/o jacking up the camber. 1.5* camber will wear the tires badly
1.5 degrees neg camber is definitely more focussed on performance than tyre wear, but I'm surprised at what you say. I still have shims in the front, i think i could get it down around -1 (which is pretty tame Imo) without difficulty and without losing caster, and could probably get it down to -0.5 if I put a bit of preload on my spreader bar, and I'd never run less camber than that on modern tyres. What camber are you running? If you try to keep the factory positive camber then you will definitely have issues, both with trying to get decent caster and with handling performance.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Good for you Dennis! Will be back in town at end of October for some heavy lifting.
Cool Bill.

Will the vette be coming back inside the trailer?
I can always fly up and drive it back for you......

If not done by October, you know you can count on me for my help.

Enjoy the rest of the golf season, buddy.

Dennis
Old 08-09-2016, 11:12 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Richard454
I'm really doing a "Grand Touring" type car....

Vansteel has been doing it the longest...has an impeccable reputation and the guys were great to deal with.

I went w/ front and rear coilovers from them.

DSCN3920_zps92fb8c93 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
I sort of backed into Van Steel but have had nothing but great service and deals from Dan over there.

I had already started assembling my parts pile for coil overs on the rear when they came out with their new coil over offset trailing arms.
These arms have the johnnie joint in the front to replace the bushing set up.
They sell it as a complete setup with the coil over springs and shocks.
I told Dan that I had those parts already.
He sold me a bare set of their new style arms. Threw in the shock braces for the frame and the heavier bolt for the bottom connection.
Most companies would not go to that length.
I put them right up there with Willcox when it comes to taking care of customers.
AND he gave me 10% off AFTER he heard I was a CF member.

Cannot wait until Fall to get going on the frame and suspension.

Bman (Dennis)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Control Arm Choices for Coilovers and Maximum Caster

Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
1.5 degrees neg camber is definitely more focussed on performance than tyre wear, but I'm surprised at what you say. I still have shims in the front, i think i could get it down around -1 (which is pretty tame Imo) without difficulty and without losing caster, and could probably get it down to -0.5 if I put a bit of preload on my spreader bar, and I'd never run less camber than that on modern tyres. What camber are you running? If you try to keep the factory positive camber then you will definitely have issues, both with trying to get decent caster and with handling performance.
Camber is 0.1* and 0.3* positive

Caster is 3.3* and 3.7*

The tech (25 years with Corvettes) insisted any more camber than that will wear the tires badly on the street. He asked if I was road racing he could go ahead with negative camber 1.5 like you have. I am not racing. This is at Victor Autobody in Middletown CT

Last edited by SH-60B; 08-10-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

You definitely don't want positive camber. With modern tyres you're giving up both handling and tyre wear, the pos camber will scrub the outside of the tyres. Even for moderate street use I'd never run less than -0.5 degrees, other wise it will roll over the tyre any time you try to corner moderately hard, scrubbing the outer edge of the tyre and reducing cornering performance.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

I have to agree, if your running modern rubber, having a positive camber is not normal.

Possibly the shop is trying to deliver what was current at the time for your Vette,

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Control Arm Choices for Coilovers and Maximum Caster