Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car

Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 AM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeC427 View Post
Car has a killer stance. Nice work on the suspention set up.
Thanks. Yes it came out nice. Rears are coilovers, so that was easy. Got lucky taking one turn out of the stock front springs.

Seems to be reasonable ground clearance under the pan.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 AM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Here's the exhaust side of the car.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
Heck yea!!!

That's gotta put a smile on your face!!!

We want a video!!!

Richard
Here ya go:

Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Denpo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Exhauts are surprisingly not that loud, OTOH the wastegates noise is quiet something. Love it.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Denpo View Post
Exhauts are surprisingly not that loud, OTOH the wastegates noise is quiet something. Love it.
Oops. I donít have any wastegates
Old 06-05-2019, 05:25 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Just took about a 10 mile drive and I'm not liking the coolant temp. It went as high as 210, no steaming. Gets higher when I go faster and a little lower when I stop.

I'm going to check that all the air is out of the system and if that's the case, I'm thinking that I may have made the supply and return hoses too small a diameter. Also I'm going to lower the target AFR from 14.7 to somewhere around 14 and see what difference that makes.

The cold side of the radiator was at 160 and the hot side was at 220. That's a 60 degree difference. Is that more or less than normal?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Received 831 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post

The cold side of the radiator was at 160 and the hot side was at 220. That's a 60 degree difference. Is that more or less than normal?
Nice video- but I didn't see you scaring any women or children!!!

The differential through the radiator -at optimum coolant flow - rule of thumb is about 10ļ from inlet to outlet.

So I'm thinking you have some air to get out.

Richard
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Wow! I'm glad I found this thread. I love ridiculous Arduino projects, and I'm beginning to appreciate the CANBus. Below is the first prototype of a 3D printed dash, with OLED display, and a (remote) GPS speedometer.

Great work, and congrats on getting it back on the road!

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:02 AM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bikespace View Post
Wow! I'm glad I found this thread. I love ridiculous Arduino projects, and I'm beginning to appreciate the CANBus. Below is the first prototype of a 3D printed dash, with OLED display, and a (remote) GPS speedometer.

Great work, and congrats on getting it back on the road!

Thanks.

Looks like you're on the way to something nice. Good to see Arduino doing more than blinking an LED. Let me know if you start a build thread. BTW, PLA doesn't stand up well to dashboard temps. Hope you're printing in ABS.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Apparently, I was low on coolant and I also added an expansion tank. It stayed under 206 degrees this time with stock thermostat.

Drove the Vette to its first Cruise Night. Behaved well, no issues.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:32 AM
patg84
CF Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol man with all this electronics knowledge I'd be curious to see your resume.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:09 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by patg84 View Post
lol man with all this electronics knowledge I'd be curious to see your resume.
Thanks, luckily I don't have to update it too often nowadays. Hope it stays that way.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

Default Things I would do differently

Now that I've driven the car some, I can see that I could have done better on some designs.

I think the rear shock are too short, not enough range. I was trying to build the shocks in an area where it wouldn't interfere with the body, so I went for a short shock. Maybe over the winter, I'll redo the rear shocks and mounts.

The rear spring is to stiff. Since it's a solid axle, the rear springs no longer have to support the weight of the rear end and all of the rear end supports. Now there is very little weight on the spring. Didn't think of that when I ordered the springs. I'll change that when I redo the rear shock mounts.

When I'm driving in 4th gear with the converter locked up, it stays engaged too long when I get off the gas or hit the brake. I'm going to change the lockup logic to look at the TPS and/or the brake pressure sensor to unlock the converter sooner. That's just a software change in the transmission controller.

When I changed over from the belt driven power steering pump to the A/C compressor, I also added a spring loaded idler in the serpentine belt setup. But I screwed up and put the idler in the wrong place. Now, I'm getting a little slip at the alternator under heavy load. Haven't decided how to fix that.

For the time being I have an air filter right at the turbo inlet which is picking up warm air from the radiator. I planned to build a cold air pipe but it will be a tight squeeze. Really wish I did that while the body was off.

The Ford 8.8 rear with 9" internals came with 4.10 gears and posi. I've got no complaints since the entire rear cost me $100. But I'm thinking that I'll be doing more highway driving with this car than I originally planned, so I'm considering a lower gear ratio. I think I can still be in the 10s at the track with 3.31 or 3.55.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:05 AM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

I was very disappointed by the Vette's wavy gravy feel, it was all over the road. After all that work, the car was not fun to drive. So I did a wheel alignment at my friends BMW shop. First the solid axle rear. I trued up the 4link to aim straight. Then for the front, 1/32 toe in, .25% neg camber, 5.1 Caster.

Before the alignment, the car would wander and was scary when I mashed the gas. After the alignment, it's not quite a BMW, but it's much, much nicer now.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

I was very disappointed ...
I was too- when I first clicked on the thread - I thought it was going to be a dyno pull!!!

Glad to see you're out driving it!!!

BTW- I have some BMW parts if you need them!!!

Richard
Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 PM
DblTrbl
CF Senior Member

I was too- when I first clicked on the thread - I thought it was going to be a dyno pull!!!

Richard
The shop has an all wheel dyno, used to 800hp - 1000hp to the wheels BMWs, like the ones on the lift. I need to calibrate all my sensors and build a cold air intake and then I'll start playing with their dyno.

BTW- I have some BMW parts if you need them!!!
Richard
LOL Sadly, I have too many as well. When the Vette settles down, I'm going to clean house. Need any M20s? transmissions? 2 1/2 complete E30s?

for your next project instead of a single 12 Cyl, twin M20s.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

LOL Sadly, I have too many as well. When the Vette settles down, I'm going to clean house. Need any M20s? transmissions? 2 1/2 complete E30s?

for your next project instead of a single 12 Cyl, twin M20s.
NOPE!!!!

I am trying to clean house too- errr uhh I keep telling myself...Only (3) V12....and a pallet full of Buick/Rover 215ci V8 parts for my E21...A couple E38s...couple Vettes...

Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo C3 76 Corvette Project, LSx, 4l80E, 4 link, real street driver and strip car

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: