C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer only goes to 32 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 PM
joe_kowalczyk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer only goes to 32 MPH

Hello,

I changed my speedometer in my 1973, new lower cables, speedometer worked great prior to installation. It's a brand new one from one of the Corvette after market suppliers. I put a drill on the cable and it wood record the speed with no problem. After three days of back breaking work, I took the car for a ride. The speedometer only goes to 32 MPH and then bounces a little bit, will not go above 32 MPH, so I took the cables apart, hooked the drill to the cable and still will only register to 32 MPH, also noticed the TRIP will not reset it appears to be bound up, only has 7 blocks on the odometer and interesting it has 11.7 on the Trip. Any suggestions, this took over 24 hours of labor for two guys, also changed all the light bulbs, and Radio, had the complete dash apart, fixed the duck work and put back together. I really do not want to take all this apart again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Joe
Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 AM
joe_kowalczyk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Solved

after doing lots of analysis, found that the back of the needle was bent down and it hits the screw that holds the dial to the mechanism on the side at about 125 MPH, which on the front side of the needle is about 32 MPH. will have to take the speedometer out and strengthen the tail on the needle out, looks like a new winter project is scheduled. In the mean time, I will use my Garmin to tell me the correct MPH. I thought about drilling a small whole in the glass over the speedometer and putting in a tiny wire and pulling the tail of the needle up. Oh well such is life and now everyone knows the culprit on why it only goes to 32 MPH.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Good on you. Cheap and easy fix

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer only goes to 32 MPH

Quick Reply: Speedometer only goes to 32 MPH