C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower motor help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM
David in NC
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default blower motor help please

I have read many forum posts on this subject but still need help please.

I have a 69 AC car. Blower fan weak, only runs on high speed setting.

From what I have read, that should mean the blower motor resistor or connections. I have removed my resistor and both it and the connections look good.

1. If the metal, springs and connections on the resistor look intact, does that mean it is ok, or should I still replace? (see picture)

2. Also, there are 2 cut wires connected to something that looks like a capacitor attached to the top of my blower motor, can anyone tell me what this is, where the wires should be attached and if this may be my problem? (see picture)

3. I have read that upgrading the ground wire can help. Can someone show me a labeled pic or diagram of which is the ground wire coming from my blower motor?

4. I have also read to clean debris from plenum. Is this the hollow box under my resistor? If so, mine looks good.

And my inline fuse towards the passenger side also looks good (I assume the correct one for blower fan but from what I have read the fan would not run on high unless fuses good).

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 PM
69CRUZR
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Blower fan weak

Here are two Forum threads that helped me understand how to improve the A/C air flow in my '69:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c-blower.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tor-fan-2.html

The second thread discussion has some PICs of the ground wire connection for a modified ground wire. I upgraded the blower ground wire to a 10 gauge wire (didn't do the Y lead as described in the thread). It did improve the blower performance. I also cleaned out the passenger side inlet air door & found that the plastic A/C/Heater duct that marries up to the passenger side air vent was partially broken such that there was a "hole" in the air duct. That I patched with duct tape to provide a better seal to the vent. Both changes improved getting cool air into the cabin to address my wife's complaints about "no cool air". The rest of these thread discussions cover modifying the blower fan with a C4 motor fan. For now, these two actions are meeting my needs. This '69 is driven weekly in the Charlotte area of NC so it does see some warm temps. Hope these threads help.
The following users liked this post:
David in NC (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

they are cheap, replace it and move on
Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Check this thread. Wilcox gives some good advice for checking the function of your blower relay.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tor-again.html

To test the resistors just put a meter in ohms and check for resistance on those springs (those are the resistors). Unless they are clearly broken they should work.
The capcitor in the photo is just to remove ac wine from the radio during use. It could be removed or not. If it's original it's likely that it doesn't work any more and can be removed from the circuit.
The following users liked this post:
David in NC (08-26-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 12:21 PM
David in NC
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did it. Thanks again to those who helped me figure out the wiring and troubleshoot.

By just cleaning my resistor and contacts, tightening the loose ground connection and adding a second thicker gauge wire ground, my fan is now blowing on all speeds and is pretty darn good. The AC may not be terribly cold, but my C3 blower is fixed and should be adequate as I dreaded trying to access it to upgrade it to a C4 motor and/or fan cage. Done for now. Next an r134 retrofit and recharge and hopefully decent AC.

Get notified of new replies

To blower motor help please

Quick Reply: blower motor help please