Aluminum radiators and related topics - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Aluminum radiators and related topics

Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 AM   #41
Darth Z
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZvette72 View Post
I personally have not been a supporter of thermostats so that was removed day one giving a consistent unrestricted flow.
I understand your position on this. I have done it on a truck that my dad owned several years ago, and a car that I owned. Neither ever had an issue by doing this. That being said, I have heard and seen alot of people saying that not running a thermostat, is very bad. Some say it doesn't give the radiator time to cool the water enough. I as well as you don't believe this, because the coolant constantly running through the system doesn't give the coolant time to heat up. Others say that it causes the motor too cool and that's also a bad thing. Supposedly, that shortens the life of the motor. With your car, you don't have to worry about the PCM trying to compensate by dumping more fuel. Engines are designed to run at certain temperatures, and some suggest running a 185* T-stat. I just did a Google search as to why it's bad, and the majority of what I did read, is advising against it. I see you have a mighty purty engine under that hood, I would hate to see you lose it or anything. Ofcourse I know, that you have your belief, and I'm probably not going to be the one to change it. We all get set in our ways and beliefs, and noone likes change.
Darth Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #42
OZvette72
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Z View Post
... I have done it on a truck that my dad owned several years ago, and a car that I owned. Neither ever had an issue by doing this. That being said, I have heard and seen alot of people saying that not running a thermostat, is very bad ...
Hi Darth
I appreciate the feed back and concern! ... I guess I omitted that I have always lived in the same warm climate as stated and I believe the purpose of the Thermostat is to get the engine to an operating temperature in cold climate before it opens to the entire cooling system. As I mentioned she gets up to running temp pretty quick by herself and I am more worried that I cook her, which is why I am starting to look into the synthetic coolants.
... I have been wrong before. (my wife can vouch to that)
OZvette72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #43
croaker
CF Senior Member

Champion Radiator on Graveyard cars 72 Charger. Great plug for Champoin
croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #44
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor

Cheaper? Yes Better? No

Perfect 10
Tom DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #45
Metalhead140
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZvette72 View Post
With regard to radiators I have to say I am totally neutral as we imported our car with a De-Witt's already installed. I had no idea that there was such a large variety of choice and quite frankly have not needed to look into it as it does the job. Having said that I can only share my personal view and experiences to date of the De-Witt's High Performance radiator that I have and hope it helps someone/me make decisions in the future. Living in a climate ranging from 104F to 41F, I personally have not been a supporter of thermostats so that was removed day one giving a consistent unrestricted flow. Fitment of the De-Witt's is very clean with it's twin thermatic fans tucked in there like they belong with plenty of ventilation. Fans have been set to come on around the 180F-190F which happens reasonably quickly on a warm day around town. The extreme situation we experienced was a two hour stop start on one of our major highways which had the fans running the whole time but never getting over the 180F-190F setting. Glycol coolant at 50/50 mix keeps her humming along and I have not lost a drop since the last service I did on my cooling system which has been a while now. Looking into the future I am researching the possibility of using these new synthetic cooling products that are on the market so that we may travel with more cabin comfort as we don't have Air Conditioning.
In Alice Springs you'd be glad to have a good radiator! I had an alloy radiator made up by Adrad for my car, as with the cost of shipping it was comparable to good US options, and it works great.
Metalhead140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
Kacyc3
CF Senior Member

I thought I had saw somewhere the details of what makes a radiator cool better than other, anyone have a link like that? Reason i ask is I have a 11:1 406 with uncoated headers and some unnamed alum. 2 core that doesnt allow for the car to get cool enough for the fans to turn off at 185 while on the interstate on a 92* day. I am going to try and see if this radiator can cool with fixing some things like lack of cold air and try some coatings on these headers while i wait for XSPower to be able to make me new headers.
Kacyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 AM   #47
OZvette72
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead140 View Post
In Alice Springs you'd be glad to have a good radiator! I had an alloy radiator made up by Adrad for my car, as with the cost of shipping it was comparable to good US options, and it works great.
Hi Metalhead ... Thanks for the heads up, found top hose is not old school and may be a contributing factor as it looks to be sucking in on the bend.
Will start there anyway as I don't plan to remove the De-Witt's ... everything looks pretty now.
PS ... see the smiley face after Alice Springs, it really means Maroons.
Cheers Mate!!
OZvette72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OZvette72 For This Useful Post:
Metalhead140 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #48
SMF

Well I finally got my Champion radiator installed. I had posted pictures earlier in this thread of the box that it came in delivered by Fedex. So far I'm extremely happy with the product. Also replaced the original water pump and thermostat and then decided that the AC might as well work too. Completely new AC system. Spent a good part of the other day waxing the car and got carried away and even waxed the exhaust tips and mufflers. I do this occasionally and it's ensures an easy job and they stay looking brand new. I've owned this car for 37 years and that is the lacquer paint job that was done before I purchased the car. I even found a local gas station that had ethanol free gasoline so I filled it up
Attached Images

SMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #49
croaker
CF Senior Member

Nice tips!
croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to croaker For This Useful Post:
SMF (07-06-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #50
7t9l82
CF Senior Member

Oh you bought a champion radiator? So did I and im very happy, my car runs nice and cool. Now prepare for the negative feed back. Lol. Paging Tom Dewitt!
7t9l82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #51
76CRVT

Has anyone tried one of these from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B00JVC0TE0 https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B00JVC0TE0
+

I'm just trying to get my 76 up and running and can't spend big money on a high end radiator right now. My plan it to get the car running and drive it this summer and maybe next and once my truck is paid off next year I will have the funds to do upgrades and probably a frame off.
76CRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #52
7t9l82
CF Senior Member

That looks like a champion radiator, I'd have no problem using it. So sick of this dewitts rah rah group calling people stupid I would never buy one.many other companies out there build radiators.be cool etc.all get the job done, mine is now 6 yrs old.
7t9l82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #53
Ydnar44

I think everyone draws there own line in the Sand when it comes to buying Chinese or Asian stuff. I have a champion radiator in my 80, but I would never buy a Japanese made vehicle, especially a Mitsubishi, they built the Zero that took out pearl harbor, Grandfather, Father, uncle's, all fought them we will fight them again. So... every one draws there own line, oh and not a Volkswagen either, same back story.

Last edited by Ydnar44; 07-10-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Mispoke
Ydnar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #54
SMF

Hey 76CRVT, here is a link to the Champion radiator that I bought on Amazon. It's just slightly more money than the one you asked about. I'm not sure what kind is in your Amazon link.

Amazon Amazon
SMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #55
Tom DeWitt
Premium Supporting Vendor

This thread was sapossed to provide a place to discuss cooling issues with moderator supervision to control redundancy and controversy. What it has turned into is a DeWitts Alternative report page. I am open to sharing my twenty years of Corvette cooling experience with anyone that has questions.
Tom DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #56
cooper9811
CF Senior Member

Just my opinion - Alternatives are fair game when talking cooling options. I wasn't aware DeWitts was the only good choice (and yes, I think DeWitts is a good choice, but not for everyone based on budget or other preferences).
cooper9811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #57
The13Bats
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper9811 View Post
Just my opinion - Alternatives are fair game when talking cooling options. I wasn't aware DeWitts was the only good choice (and yes, I think DeWitts is a good choice, but not for everyone based on budget or other preferences).

When i wrote this orginal radiator post that was to my flattering made sticky my intent was not to sell or even suggest any brand on a person, there is way too much of that on this forum in other threads,

I wanted to get some good down to earth radiator info all in one place, so no, i dont want it to become either another advertising thread for a cetain brand nor a thread to bash a brand,

What i desire is what i feel any non biased person desires from a forum, just good tech and feedback, i see no reason for opinions to be modarated to death, this imho at the risk of sounding prideful is a great thread, ( thanks guys! )
It doesnt mean every post will be liked by all, so be it, people will have different opinions which is a good thing,

Now back to our normally scheduled program already in progress....

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-17-2017 at 05:20 AM.
The13Bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #58
jim2527
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacyc3 View Post
I thought I had saw somewhere the details of what makes a radiator cool better than other, anyone have a link like that? Reason i ask is I have a 11:1 406 with uncoated headers and some unnamed alum. 2 core that doesnt allow for the car to get cool enough for the fans to turn off at 185 while on the interstate on a 92* day. I am going to try and see if this radiator can cool with fixing some things like lack of cold air and try some coatings on these headers while i wait for XSPower to be able to make me new headers.
I saw something like that....not sure where though. If your not cooling on the highway one would think its an airflow issue through the radiator?
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #59
Kacyc3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
I saw something like that....not sure where though. If your not cooling on the highway one would think its an airflow issue through the radiator?
Its not overheating just not a cool as others say their cars are running. How much does core size effect cooling? 2 x1.25 vs 4 x 5/8"
Kacyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #60
The13Bats
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacyc3 View Post
Its not overheating just not a cool as others say their cars are running. How much does core size effect cooling? 2 x1.25 vs 4 x 5/8"
A few things to consider,

Is the temp gauge correct, ive never been a big believer that old c3 factory gauges were always spot on, is it too hot or just hotter?

My 66 custom was very cold blooded, 180 stat stock radiator, i could almost always drive the 10 miles to my club or home at the end of the night and it never got hot enough to kick on the electric fan, the fan never came on while moving,

In general if a car stays cool at idle and creeps up at speed if all other things, like timing, seals, spoilers etc are good it might just be too small of a radiator for the job,
More rpm means more power and more heat to cool than at idle,

On c3s as far as i know there are two stock core sizes, height and width but the way they are made how many rows of tubes, how many fins per sq inch etc that what makes the difference,

I do not know how many radiators are made for example my custom made dewitts us super overkill and would likely cool any street driven car tossed at it, people on this forum report cooling tall hp with other brands too.

Perhaps mr dewitt will give a run down on the specs so i dont post misinformation.

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-24-2017 at 03:03 AM.
The13Bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Aluminum radiators and related topics
  •