C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum radiators and related topics

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:49 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Z
... I have done it on a truck that my dad owned several years ago, and a car that I owned. Neither ever had an issue by doing this. That being said, I have heard and seen alot of people saying that not running a thermostat, is very bad ...
Hi Darth
I appreciate the feed back and concern! ... I guess I omitted that I have always lived in the same warm climate as stated and I believe the purpose of the Thermostat is to get the engine to an operating temperature in cold climate before it opens to the entire cooling system. As I mentioned she gets up to running temp pretty quick by herself and I am more worried that I cook her, which is why I am starting to look into the synthetic coolants.
... I have been wrong before. (my wife can vouch to that)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Champion Radiator on Graveyard cars 72 Charger. Great plug for Champoin
Old 06-06-2017, 02:06 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Cheaper? Yes Better? No

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 11-28-2017 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
adamdinat (02-05-2020)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by OZvette72
With regard to radiators I have to say I am totally neutral as we imported our car with a De-Witt's already installed. I had no idea that there was such a large variety of choice and quite frankly have not needed to look into it as it does the job. Having said that I can only share my personal view and experiences to date of the De-Witt's High Performance radiator that I have and hope it helps someone/me make decisions in the future. Living in a climate ranging from 104F to 41F, I personally have not been a supporter of thermostats so that was removed day one giving a consistent unrestricted flow. Fitment of the De-Witt's is very clean with it's twin thermatic fans tucked in there like they belong with plenty of ventilation. Fans have been set to come on around the 180F-190F which happens reasonably quickly on a warm day around town. The extreme situation we experienced was a two hour stop start on one of our major highways which had the fans running the whole time but never getting over the 180F-190F setting. Glycol coolant at 50/50 mix keeps her humming along and I have not lost a drop since the last service I did on my cooling system which has been a while now. Looking into the future I am researching the possibility of using these new synthetic cooling products that are on the market so that we may travel with more cabin comfort as we don't have Air Conditioning.
In Alice Springs you'd be glad to have a good radiator! I had an alloy radiator made up by Adrad for my car, as with the cost of shipping it was comparable to good US options, and it works great.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I thought I had saw somewhere the details of what makes a radiator cool better than other, anyone have a link like that? Reason i ask is I have a 11:1 406 with uncoated headers and some unnamed alum. 2 core that doesnt allow for the car to get cool enough for the fans to turn off at 185 while on the interstate on a 92* day. I am going to try and see if this radiator can cool with fixing some things like lack of cold air and try some coatings on these headers while i wait for XSPower to be able to make me new headers.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
In Alice Springs you'd be glad to have a good radiator! I had an alloy radiator made up by Adrad for my car, as with the cost of shipping it was comparable to good US options, and it works great.
Hi Metalhead ... Thanks for the heads up, found top hose is not old school and may be a contributing factor as it looks to be sucking in on the bend.
Will start there anyway as I don't plan to remove the De-Witt's ... everything looks pretty now.
PS ... see the smiley face after Alice Springs, it really means Maroons.
Cheers Mate!!
Metalhead140 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:50 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice tips!
SMF (07-06-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Oh you bought a champion radiator? So did I and im very happy, my car runs nice and cool. Now prepare for the negative feed back. Lol. Paging Tom Dewitt!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 PM
76CRVT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried one of these from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B00JVC0TE0 https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B00JVC0TE0
+

I'm just trying to get my 76 up and running and can't spend big money on a high end radiator right now. My plan it to get the car running and drive it this summer and maybe next and once my truck is paid off next year I will have the funds to do upgrades and probably a frame off.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:07 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That looks like a champion radiator, I'd have no problem using it. So sick of this dewitts rah rah group calling people stupid I would never buy one.many other companies out there build radiators.be cool etc.all get the job done, mine is now 6 yrs old.
Lestat52 (03-07-2022)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Ydnar44
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think everyone draws there own line in the Sand when it comes to buying Chinese or Asian stuff. I have a champion radiator in my 80, but I would never buy a Japanese made vehicle, especially a Mitsubishi, they built the Zero that took out pearl harbor, Grandfather, Father, uncle's, all fought them we will fight them again. So... every one draws there own line, oh and not a Volkswagen either, same back story.

Last edited by Ydnar44; 07-10-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Mispoke
Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

This thread was sapossed to provide a place to discuss cooling issues with moderator supervision to control redundancy and controversy. What it has turned into is a DeWitts Alternative report page. I am open to sharing my twenty years of Corvette cooling experience with anyone that has questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@Dewitt:
mtydings (07-29-2022), Tuna Joe (12-06-2022)
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Just my opinion - Alternatives are fair game when talking cooling options. I wasn't aware DeWitts was the only good choice (and yes, I think DeWitts is a good choice, but not for everyone based on budget or other preferences).
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper9811
Just my opinion - Alternatives are fair game when talking cooling options. I wasn't aware DeWitts was the only good choice (and yes, I think DeWitts is a good choice, but not for everyone based on budget or other preferences).

When i wrote this orginal radiator post that was to my flattering made sticky my intent was not to sell or even suggest any brand on a person, there is way too much of that on this forum in other threads,

I wanted to get some good down to earth radiator info all in one place, so no, i dont want it to become either another advertising thread for a cetain brand nor a thread to bash a brand,

What i desire is what i feel any non biased person desires from a forum, just good tech and feedback, i see no reason for opinions to be modarated to death, this imho at the risk of sounding prideful is a great thread, ( thanks guys! )
It doesnt mean every post will be liked by all, so be it, people will have different opinions which is a good thing,

Now back to our normally scheduled program already in progress....

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-17-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:49 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
I thought I had saw somewhere the details of what makes a radiator cool better than other, anyone have a link like that? Reason i ask is I have a 11:1 406 with uncoated headers and some unnamed alum. 2 core that doesnt allow for the car to get cool enough for the fans to turn off at 185 while on the interstate on a 92* day. I am going to try and see if this radiator can cool with fixing some things like lack of cold air and try some coatings on these headers while i wait for XSPower to be able to make me new headers.
I saw something like that....not sure where though. If your not cooling on the highway one would think its an airflow issue through the radiator?
Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim2527
I saw something like that....not sure where though. If your not cooling on the highway one would think its an airflow issue through the radiator?
Its not overheating just not a cool as others say their cars are running. How much does core size effect cooling? 2 x1.25 vs 4 x 5/8"
Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Its not overheating just not a cool as others say their cars are running. How much does core size effect cooling? 2 x1.25 vs 4 x 5/8"
A few things to consider,

Is the temp gauge correct, ive never been a big believer that old c3 factory gauges were always spot on, is it too hot or just hotter?

My 66 custom was very cold blooded, 180 stat stock radiator, i could almost always drive the 10 miles to my club or home at the end of the night and it never got hot enough to kick on the electric fan, the fan never came on while moving,

In general if a car stays cool at idle and creeps up at speed if all other things, like timing, seals, spoilers etc are good it might just be too small of a radiator for the job,
More rpm means more power and more heat to cool than at idle,

On c3s as far as i know there are two stock core sizes, height and width but the way they are made how many rows of tubes, how many fins per sq inch etc that what makes the difference,

I do not know how many radiators are made for example my custom made dewitts us super overkill and would likely cool any street driven car tossed at it, people on this forum report cooling tall hp with other brands too.

Perhaps mr dewitt will give a run down on the specs so i dont post misinformation.

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-24-2017 at 02:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum radiators and related topics

Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by The13Bats
A few things to consider,

Is the temp gauge correct, ive never been a big believer that old c3 factory gauges were always spot on, is it too hot or just hotter?

My 66 custom was very cold blooded, 180 stat stock radiator, i could almost always drive the 10 miles to my club or home at the end of the night and it never got hot enough to kick on the electric fan, the fan never came on while moving,

In general if a car stays cool at idle and creeps up at speed if all other things, like timing, seals, spoilers etc are good it might just be too small of a radiator for the job,
More rpm means more power and more heat to cool than at idle,

On c3s as far as i know there are two stock core sizes, height and width but the way they are made how many rows of tubes, how many fins per sq inch etc that what makes the difference,

I do not know how many radiators are made for example my custom made dewitts us super overkill and would likely cool any street driven car tossed at it, people on this forum report cooling tall hp with other brands too.

Perhaps mr dewitt will give a run down on the specs so i dont post misinformation.
Stock gauges are sitting on a shelf along with the sending units, i have installed Digital dash and the sending unit is next to the t stat and running done the interstate it almost matches what the ecm is seeing from the sending unit in the head. So either both are wrong or right.

Cruising down the interstate with out AC I think it should be closer to 180 seeing as how it has a 160 t stat. Really tired of trying to make this cool better, maybe Dewitts is the only way to cool this engine like i want.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Stock gauges are sitting on a shelf along with the sending units, i have installed Digital dash and the sending unit is next to the t stat and running done the interstate it almost matches what the ecm is seeing from the sending unit in the head. So either both are wrong or right.

Cruising down the interstate with out AC I think it should be closer to 180 seeing as how it has a 160 t stat. Really tired of trying to make this cool better, maybe Dewitts is the only way to cool this engine like i want.
Dewitts is a work of art,
i would hope it or any larger aftermarket aluminum radiator , becool, champion, etc would get you where you desire, if in fact this is a case of too little radiator, but i would be very sure it is just that before buying a radiator
Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

When I was looking for a radiator for my LS swap (LS3 525 HP Crate engine) I talked to 3 different Makers, My concerns was on the fan they supplied. After looking at All of them I decided to get a rad with out any fans and build my own shroud that covered all of the core and had some space between the fans and the core. I also did not want to use the thru core mounting.

Quick Reply: Aluminum radiators and related topics