C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Another vote for Zerex G-05. I have been using it for probably at least 10 years between my small block and big block. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
Aggitated Monkey (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...W0uIzrr1VNZ76A
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...POnX-unIvgPmFQ
For those who want more than anecdotal evidence.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:17 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Engine compartment heat may be way too much for hood paint on a very hot day, IF you have uncoated headers and poor airflow through the engine compartment.

If the coolant is "boiling in the heads", then the pressure inside the cooling system had increased to the point that the pressure cap would be relieving itself. If it did not, there was no internal boiling.

My take is that your engine compartment just got to higher than 300*F (but not the coolant).
Headers were ceramic coated, and temp was 250 on the temp gauge. Coolant was boiling and thumping in the heads, puked lots of antifreeze into the overflow, same phenomenon that I saw for years in the California desert from my hot rodding buddies, heat soak, boiling, puking coolant....
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Other info,

99% of shark owners love the 50/50 pre mixed as recommended by top end radiator manufactures like Dewitts...
Aggitated Monkey (08-25-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If engine had a thermostat and pump and radiator were sized appropriately and compatible with each other, there should not have been any boiling in the heads. Might there be some kind of mismatch between cooling port holes on heads/block/gaskets that might limit cooling flow? Is there a suitable mix of water & antifreeze to elevate boiling point as much as possible? Could the pressure cap be defective and not allowing pressure to build up to rated pressure before dumping?

If you have a hi-flo water pump on the engine, it could be cavitating and allowing steam to form in the coolant. That would surely mess with the system.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Other info,

99% of shark owners love the 50/50 pre mixed as recommended by top end radiator manufactures like Dewitts...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...D2fWrVhlOJdTIg Scroll to the end of the page.

It does not surprise me that Norosion found their product to be superior to Evans. I have not experienced the increased temps, increased fan running, increased octane requirements and loss of power the Norosion study claims.

DeWitts' will not tell my why Evans voids their warranty. However, Evans has it's own warranty covering water pump, thermostat, hoses and radiator for as long as you own the vehicle.

I don't mind being in the top 1% of Corvette owners.....

Last edited by lurch59; 08-26-2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: addition for clarity
1974CorvetteJimCr (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:44 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If engine had a thermostat and pump and radiator were sized appropriately and compatible with each other, there should not have been any boiling in the heads. Might there be some kind of mismatch between cooling port holes on heads/block/gaskets that might limit cooling flow? Is there a suitable mix of water & antifreeze to elevate boiling point as much as possible? Could the pressure cap be defective and not allowing pressure to build up to rated pressure before dumping?

If you have a hi-flo water pump on the engine, it could be cavitating and allowing steam to form in the coolant. That would surely mess with the system.
Well, I like the way you think. The engine was completely stock and never disassembled as far as I know, so engineering was stock. You make a good point about radiator cap holding pressure, many folks don't check this and consequently are not keeping their pressure within spec to limit boiling. So, it could have been a defective radiator cap, but growing up in hot Southern California I saw so much coolant puking from my buddies hot rods on hot days I just decided to go with a coolant that doesn't rely on pressure to increase boiling temps. And, I am lazy and got tired of flushing and refilling regimens.
1974CorvetteJimCr (08-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Antifreeze?