C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i look at the toe adjusters in the 1982 trailing arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:16 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default i look at the toe adjusters in the 1982 trailing arms

to figure on what the alignment shop needs to do....to crack the nut

the po had it rebushed in 2006 and the car is a california car

i don't see the bolt head, can i check to see if it's frozen or not? by pulling the cotter pin and throwing a wrench on it?

and do i need to by the shims or most shops will have them?

need pictures

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-28-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
"need pictures"
Here are the typical shims/cotter pin, and the t-arm pivot bolts/washers/ nut/cotter pin.
Regards,
Alan

The trailing arm, drilled t-arm bolt, heavy flat washer, slotted nut, cotter pin.
Upper tip of outer shims, long cotter pin.

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-28-2016 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slickfx3 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

i still don't get how the bolt comes out on the other side , if i had to remove the T/A, not that i am going to

btw aren't you suppose to bend that cotter pin?

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

getting the shop to actually do the work required is the problem, their idea of good enough will likely leave you with no trust angle or toe adjustments in rear. They'll set front caster, camber, toe, & and rear camber and hand you a bill. After several attempts at paying shops to do mine, I bought turn plates, lasers, camber/caster setting tools from Longacre Racing and did my own... I consider it perfect. Took me a full day after leveling car, finding chassis C/L, projecting to floor with plumb bob, creating horizontal offsets from said line, checking trust angles, setting toe front rear, caster, camber front, camber rear, rechecking toe, blah blah blah. Used lasers for front to rear checks. No more pulling, darting in rutted pavement or wasted cash to lazy azz clowns.
jim
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

There is plenty of room to get the bolt out toward the middle of the car. Not so if inserted from the outside with the body off, can't get it out once the body is on the frame.
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S,
Yes, one leg of the cotter pin was original bent.
And after repairs the new cotter pin should be bent.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimvette999
getting the shop to actually do the work required is the problem, their idea of good enough will likely leave you with no trust angle or toe adjustments in rear. They'll set front caster, camber, toe, & and rear camber and hand you a bill. After several attempts at paying shops to do mine, I bought turn plates, lasers, camber/caster setting tools from Longacre Racing and did my own... I consider it perfect. Took me a full day after leveling car, finding chassis C/L, projecting to floor with plumb bob, creating horizontal offsets from said line, checking trust angles, setting toe front rear, caster, camber front, camber rear, rechecking toe, blah blah blah. Used lasers for front to rear checks. No more pulling, darting in rutted pavement or wasted cash to lazy azz clowns.
jim
well...idk about my abilities...with some luck ,perhaps the rear toe is perfect now
Old 08-28-2016, 02:47 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
i still don't get how the bolt comes out on the other side , if i had to remove the T/A, not that i am going to

btw aren't you suppose to bend that cotter pin?
IN THEORY, you don't need to remove the bolt completely, if all you're going to do is adjust the toe. You only need to loosen the nut and bolt, assuming it's not "rust welded" to the sleeve in the t/a bushing, so you take some tension off the shims, and shift them around as necessary.
slickfx3 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here's a picture you can't get with the body on... but it'll give you a good idea about how much room is in there.

slickfx3 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:40 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

how do they measure the toe? tire off?... nobody does that right?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

how do they measure the toe? tire off?... nobody does that right?
With all due respect, you CAN'T be serious, are you? Look at it this way, if the wheels/tires are off, how would you get the car on/off the alignment rack? MANY wheel alignment adapters/sensors "clamp" to the rim. Without the wheels on the car, where would these tools attach? More importantly, setting caster/camber, and toe, either front or rear, requires the suspension to be "loaded". How would that condition occur, if the wheels weren't on the car?

The problem here, is quite simple....C-3s are at a minimum, 34 years old. 34 years of dirt, water, and corrosion, have made these bolts difficult to loosen/remove, hence these questions on "how to do it". I highly doubt that GM had 34+ years of usage in mind, when they designed this deal. So, if you're serious about getting your C-3s rear end aligned PROPERLY, your best bet is to obtain a new pair of the bolt/shims package that "Alan71" showed in his picture (above), install them in your car, then go to the alignment shop. For the non-purists, stainless replacement parts are available.

Having NEW parts in place, that can be easily adjusted by the alignment guy, will go a LONG way to getting a good alignment done to your car.
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

the PO had the bushings changed and hopefully the nut is not frozen etc

how can they get to the nut and bolt, if the tire is on the car? is it possible?

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-29-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

the PO had the bushings changed and hopefully the nut is not frozen etc

how can they get to the nut and bolt, if the tire is on the car? is it possible?
Yes!! Although the design isn't perfect, GM wasn't THAT dumb! After all, their dealer techs had to be able to align the cars.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:36 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I wrote this up awhile back when I did mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-bubba-s.html

Took it to a shop afterwards and one wheel was spot on, the other needed adjustment. Hope it helps.

No matter what you do, take your own shims and the back ones are different. The original shop charged me for two sets, when one set will do both sides.

Last edited by Lobzila; 08-30-2016 at 03:47 AM.
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lobzila
I wrote this up awhile back when I did mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-bubba-s.html

Took it to a shop afterwards and one wheel was spot on, the other needed adjustment. Hope it helps.

No matter what you do, take your own shims and the back ones are different. The original shop charged me for two sets, when one set will do both sides.
do the cars come without shims? mine has a bunch in it already, can't they just move things around?

sssh everything with this c3 thing is a major undertaking

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-30-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Don't use those phoney stock shims that Alan posted

Use SS washers from placeslike vbp
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Having NEW parts in place, that can be easily adjusted by the alignment guy, will go a LONG way to getting a good alignment done to your car.

My alignment shop had no problem with doing the rear toe but did charge me extra because it was time consuming getting the toe dialed in.
slickfx3 (08-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To i look at the toe adjusters in the 1982 trailing arms

Old 08-30-2016, 12:14 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by resdoggie

My alignment shop had no problem with doing the rear toe but did charge me extra because it was time consuming getting the toe dialed in.
why should they charge for shims? otherwise they can't achieve the "alignment"

what is a fair price? i heard 150 without the toe

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-30-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

why should they charge for shims? otherwise they can't achieve the "alignment"

what is a fair price? i heard 150 without the toe
You might be confusing the shims he's talking about. On the FRONT end, a C-3 uses the generic shims that cars have been using for decades. It's the REAR where the shims are A) different; and B) Corvette specific, and C) usually not something an everyday alignment shop has on hand.

I t appears that you aren't familiar with the rear suspension of a C-3. There's a U-shaped "pocket", as defined by a brace on the frame, that the nose of the trailing arm fits into. There are two holes in this brace, one on each side, that the "through bolt" for the trailing arm bushing pivot goes through. By "stacking" the shims between the sides of the pocket, and the nose of the trailing arm, you A) secure the trailing arm's lateral movement; and B) set the angle of the nose of the trailing arm, which, in turn, sets the toe-in.

If you're NOT going to set the rear toe, assuming it's out of spec, WHY BOTHER DOING AN ALIGNMENT? Secondly, if all you're going to do, essentially, is align the front end, then $150 is about $80-90 too much.....

Originally Posted by gkull
Don't use those phoney stock shims that Alan posted

Use SS washers from places like VB&P
I think you mean "SS shims".................

Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You might be confusing the shims he's talking about. On the FRONT end, a C-3 uses the generic shims that cars have been using for decades. It's the REAR where the shims are A) different; and B) Corvette specific, and C) usually not something an everyday alignment shop has on hand.

I t appears that you aren't familiar with the rear suspension of a C-3. There's a U-shaped "pocket", as defined by a brace on the frame, that the nose of the trailing arm fits into. There are two holes in this brace, one on each side, that the "through bolt" for the trailing arm bushing pivot goes through. By "stacking" the shims between the sides of the pocket, and the nose of the trailing arm, you A) secure the trailing arm's lateral movement; and B) set the angle of the nose of the trailing arm, which, in turn, sets the toe-in.

If you're NOT going to set the rear toe, assuming it's out of spec, WHY BOTHER DOING AN ALIGNMENT? Secondly, if all you're going to do, essentially, is align the front end, then $150 is about $80-90 too much.....

I think you mean "SS shims".................

well idk if they can complete a rear toe alignment, and would only know if they try one way or another

there are already shims in the pocket

question? do stock vettes come with shims in place?

Quick Reply: i look at the toe adjusters in the 1982 trailing arms