C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeroids lost power assist, even with new pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Steeroids lost power assist, even with new pump

I installed Steeroids on my '80 about 10 years ago and installed a re-manufactured power steering pump at the same time. I then replaced the vacuum brake booster with Hydroboost 7 years ago.

Steering and brakes worked great until recently when power steering assist started to drop with increasing degree and frequency. The Steeroids troubleshooting guide implied power steering pump problems, so I just replaced the pump with a Borgeson high volume pump and fluid cooler just in case the Steeroids-Hydroboost combination would push the limits of a marginal pump.

The new PS pump didn't help. In fact, I have NO ps assist as of today.

The trouble shooting guide said to check for crimped lines, but they look fine, the same as when they were installed 10 years ago. Fluid was flowing from both pressure and return lines, and the brakes feel great.

I'll contact SpeedDirect for help, but I thought I'd check here first/in addition. I couldn't find any other mention of no power assist with Steeroids with Advance Search either.

Has anyone else lost power assist with Steeroids?
I'm open to suggestions for what to check and how, of course.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

VERY ODD man, I did my own rack install like Steeroids sells about a dozen years ago, been fine....BUT trick is I have had a serp drive and chassis mounted power steering/hydroboost reserve tank since then....

I just put a T in the return line....never a problem.....

but something showing up all at once on a functional car....I have to say rack....but check pressures on the rack by loosening the feed pipe and get a rag over it, and get a buddy to start the car....see if you have flow......

Old 09-04-2016, 12:50 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd talk to SpeedDirect and ask if it could be an actual rack and pinion problem.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You first need to know what pressure is reaching the power rack.
Once you know that, you can determine if it's a pressure issue or you simply have a crap rack. Also, the rack is a common one and can be had at any local parts store. Don't hold me to it, but I think the rack is from a Chevy Celebrity or Citation. Speed Direct should be able to tell you.

Good luck!

[Q1UOTE=MN80Vette;1592974032]I installed Steeroids on my '80 about 10 years ago and installed a re-manufactured power steering pump at the same time. I then replaced the vacuum brake booster with Hydroboost 7 years ago.

Steering and brakes worked great until recently when power steering assist started to drop with increasing degree and frequency. The Steeroids troubleshooting guide implied power steering pump problems, so I just replaced the pump with a Borgeson high volume pump and fluid cooler just in case the Steeroids-Hydroboost combination would push the limits of a marginal pump.

The new PS pump didn't help. In fact, I have NO ps assist as of today.

The trouble shooting guide said to check for crimped lines, but they look fine, the same as when they were installed 10 years ago. Fluid was flowing from both pressure and return lines, and the brakes feel great.

I'll contact SpeedDirect for help, but I thought I'd check here first/in addition. I couldn't find any other mention of no power assist with Steeroids with Advance Search either.

Has anyone else lost power assist with Steeroids?
I'm open to suggestions for what to check and how, of course.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-16-2016, 09:10 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

how did this turn out?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:27 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
how did this turn out?
It didn't turn out like I hoped. I was out of town for a week and just got back to it yesterday. Speed Direct troubleshooting guide says to watch the fluid level as the wheel is turned. The fluid level should drop slightly. No visible change.

I then loosened the return line connector on the rack & pinion to see if any fluid came out when the wheel was turned. No significant fluid came out. There was certainly fluid going into the inlet! (Yeeeah, that made a mess.)

The conclusion is rack & pinion failure, and 2 years after the warranty expired, of course.

Last edited by MN80Vette; 09-17-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids lost power assist, even with new pump

Quick Reply: Steeroids lost power assist, even with new pump