C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB stalling after extended highway run

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Default BB stalling after extended highway run

Stock 70 LS5.

Thought I had this problem solved. Car starts up fine, idles great, all is well when cold. If I drive only on back roads, speeds less than 50, the car will run fine for hours with only a hint of a tendency to stall at a light or stumble taking off. This doesn't happen when it's cold or partially warmed up. However, if I drive on the highway for more than 1/2 hour, the idle will deteriorate while waiting at a light on the off ramp, sometimes stalling.

I noticed the temps tend to rise a bit while highway driving, need to install the air dam and seal on top of the radiator support. This may help but I suspect it won't solve the problem entirely.

Pretty sure the correct gasket/spacer is installed between carb and manifold.

Seems like a heat related problem. Modern fuel causing the carb to percolate? Could there be an issue with the fuel pump? Doesn't seem to fit... I have two carbs, seems to happen with either.

Anyone else with a BB have similar issues?

This is a fairly stock LS5 with a mild cam. Stock exhaust with heat riser. Exhaust pass through intake manifold not blocked.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:41 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

What kind of distributor?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
What kind of distributor?
Stock with points and condenser.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:42 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

ttt
Nobody has had this problem or similar?
Wondering if this may be related to modern fuel, related to vapor lock? The car can be restarted though sometimes difficult, may need to be nursed, rev the engine until it clears.

Maybe I need more insulation under the carb or possibly a heat shield?

Wrap the fuel lines where they pass near the exhaust manifolds?

I may consider installing pointless ignition, one which preserves the stock appearance. Not sure that would change anything.

Running out of ideas.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:09 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

How hot is the coil after a hiway run compared to a local run at slow speed? Maybe the coil is at the end of it's useful life.....
The following 2 users liked this post by OMF:
ajrothm (09-14-2016), BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My BB runs flawless, i have a MSD distributor and MSD 6AL ignition.
Idle drops a bit when really hot but no issues besides that.
Qjet and 468cui with a Straub cam.
The following users liked this post:
BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:18 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

could be vapor lock or percolation . when it won't start, remover Air Cleaner cover and see if fuel is boiling into bores.. or if not, see if the accelerator pump squirts fuel.. I assume your fuel lines and filter are in good condition?
BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe a plugged fuel tank vent...
BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM
rickimvette
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for coil and gas cap

Originally Posted by sstocker31
How hot is the coil after a hiway run compared to a local run at slow speed? Maybe the coil is at the end of it's useful life.....

Last edited by rickimvette; 09-11-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more to say
BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:22 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not sure if the 70 uses a vented cap or not but I'm giving a +2 for a venting problem or fuel starving (fuel level can affect idle before it's noticeable while driving), when was your last fuel filter change?
BBCorv70 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 02:23 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by clwi
My BB runs flawless, i have a MSD distributor and MSD 6AL ignition.
Idle drops a bit when really hot but no issues besides that.
Qjet and 468cui with a Straub cam.
Good to know. Does your gas have ethanol added? It's 10% ethanol where I'm located. Possible this is an ignition problem though seems a bit unlikely, running points and condenser.

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
could be vapor lock or percolation . when it won't start, remover Air Cleaner cover and see if fuel is boiling into bores.. or if not, see if the accelerator pump squirts fuel.. I assume your fuel lines and filter are in good condition?
I may try an experiment next weekend, see if I can get the symptoms to show again, peer into the carb when it's happening, see if I can spot fuel dribbling.

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Coil was replaced a few years ago, same thought, didn't change anything.

Originally Posted by Jeffs82c3
Maybe a plugged fuel tank vent...
I've owned this car for over 30 years. It was a semi daily driver in the 80's, don't recall having this problem. Did a frame off in the 90's, car wasn't operation for many years. Parts which were replaced may provide a clue. The gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, and carb were replaced. It's possible there's a problem with the tank though I'm running a 'vented' fuel cap. Thinking about driving with the cap loose once I burn off a bit of fuel, full tank right now.

When it begins to misbehave, I'm not sure whether it's running too rich or too lean. Too rich may suggest percolation? Too lean may imply restriction somewhere or vapor lock? I have to feather the gas pedal when taking off from a light when it's hot, else risk a stall. Clue? Last time I had it out, when exiting the highway I had to wait at a light. It nearly stalled when I tried to take off, had to keep working the gas pedal to try to clear, took a while to settle out. This is becoming very annoying...

I'm open to the possibility of an ignition problem as well though it doesn't appear to be a problem with the coil. Thought about breaker-less ignition for convenience if not improvement in performance.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

did you put the molded "s" fuel line hose from fuel line to fuel pump on the car, or just use a piece of fuel line??? the fuel line will get warm and kink, slowing down fuel to pump & carb. ask me how I know.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Its the gas, did the coil, all hard lines same deal as yours
even left the gas cap off

thinking of one of two solutions:

- install a cool can no other way to get around it short of EFI and thats one thing Idont want in an older car.

-install a solenoid,that when it happens will bump the idle up some. A/c cars use it I believe.

If I use some VP or the like it never happens. 190 deg and the rides over far as Im concerned. Anything under and it will idle all day long with a cam that should be according the internet loading up constantly.

Last edited by cv67; 09-14-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
boseone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat riser?

Did you checked heat riser on exhaust manifold? I had the same symptoms on my 59´oldsmobile, heat riser was rusted in closed postition...
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

did the stock 70 LS5 have a fuel return line either from the gas filter or the pump and if so is it still there?
have you attempted to adjust the idle mixture screws when fully warmed up, if an automatic transmission in Drive or Reverse with the wheels chocked?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

We had this exact problem on my dad's freshly restored 66' 327/350hp vert... Chased my tail for months... turned out that the reproduction coil for the TI system was the issue. It was a good quality one from Lectric Limited, however, after 30 mins of driving it would want to die, miss, sputter etc...

They sent us another one, and it did the exact same thing.

I rolled the dice and bought one from another vendor, it instantly worked great and no more issues..

So definitely try swapping the coil with a KNOWN GOOD ONE....
Old 09-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

My 70 L-46 behaved like this for a time, and I did lots of things trying to sort it out. In the end, I'm nearly certain that what I had was a combination of not enough initial timing and a vacuum leak. I had the timing set at 4* advanced initial, and that wasn't nearly enough (I have 10* initial now without vacuum), and I had a series of small vacuum leaks from an improperly torqued intake manifold and a couple of older vacuum hoses. The problem was always worse after the car got very warm, such as after coming off the highway.

Does this help you? I don't know, but this was the cause of my problems.

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 09-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To BB stalling after extended highway run

Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Because the problem only happens when the engine is hot I'm betting it's a gas issue. You are probably boiling the fuel in the metal fuel line between the carburetor and the fuel pump. This is a pretty common problem with classic cars. The gas we have these days is nothing like the gas we had 40 years ago.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
ttt
Nobody has had this problem or similar?
Wondering if this may be related to modern fuel, related to vapor lock? The car can be restarted though sometimes difficult, may need to be nursed, rev the engine until it clears.

Maybe I need more insulation under the carb or possibly a heat shield?

Wrap the fuel lines where they pass near the exhaust manifolds?

I may consider installing pointless ignition, one which preserves the stock appearance. Not sure that would change anything.

Running out of ideas.
This is an interesting problem....I just reread the entire thread.
When you rev the engine to clear it, is it rich and there black smoke out of the exhaust, or is it starving for fuel and just missing due to being lean? Answer this and it will give us a better direction for advise.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are using common fuel with ethanol in it, I suggest that you look for some fuel source without it. Ethanol has a lower boiling point than gasoline and has caused these types of problems.

Putting a front air dam on the car will push a LOT more cool air through your radiator and may also solve or help to solve your problem.

If you have 'no ethanol' fuel and have installed the air dam, you might want to install a metal heat shield under the carburetor (along with the gaskets). That can help the carb stay cooler.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-16-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: BB stalling after extended highway run