C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shows and BS horse power Dreams

Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default Car shows and BS horse power Dreams

So... I go to Super Car Sunday here in Southern California...

Wife wanted to go, and so I figures why not...

Got there and started to walk around and look,,, some cool cars,,, and below are some pics,,,

So, anyway.. the story.. got to this red one (pictures below) cool paddy wagon car.. Give him several compliments on the work and look... then he went and did it... "And it 650hp!!" NOW he has my attention,,, so I take a look at the engine,, Edelbrock performer heads.. 6 pac carbs on a low low rise manifold and small header tubs... Im thinking ,,, yea, right... but I'll give a little benefit of doubt.. I ask what size.. "It's a 350" ... ok,,, I could not do it... I could not hold back.. I looked at him and said it...

BS.. that engine no way puts out 650 hp,,I just built a ***** to the all 427 and I am right there,,You would be lucky to see 300hp... and then he says he has $15K in the motor... like BS!!! AAAAAAWWWWwww....... I can not take it anymore... and just walk off..

If you talk your ride to a car show .... Just know that more likely than not, that their will be a car guy there that actually knows his/her chit.. And you just look like a fool.
Rant off...

The F1 car... Street legal:-) now how cool it that... He said he and his wife were going down the 405 to SanDegio and 6 highway patrol cars circled him on all sides for about 30 minutes... but never pulled him over...

Last edited by pauldana; 09-12-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
BS.. that engine no way puts out 650 hp,,I just built a ***** to the all 427 and I am right there,,You would be lucky to see 300hp... and then he says he has $15K in the motor... like BS!!! AAAAAAWWWWwww....... I can not take it anymore... and just walk off..
That's because you are running that really tiny cam! He is running a monster prototype cam that you just wouldn't understand.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Horsepower is a funny thing. I've gotten my hand slapped here at the forum once for potentially overstating the horsepower of my 350.

I'm running a fairly radical solid-roller 350 with 6 inches of idle vacuum, nearly 6/10ths of lift, solid rollers, 200 cc aluminum heads, 10.5:1 compression, and a bunch of goodies. The thing sounds like it's ready to jump out of the car and kill someone. Seriously pissed off engine.

There was a time when I described my engine as "nearly 500 hp". I then backed down to "somewhere in the 450 to 500 hp range". THEN I reduced the description to "comfortably 450 hp". Now I simply describe it as "over 400". I feel strongly that it is a safe statement, it being a sub-4-second 0-60 car with painfully tall gearing.

I'd love to toss the thing on a dyno, but don't feel like paying the money. I don't really need to 'tune' it as I keep making small changes that would negate the money spent on a 'tune' every time.

But I don't disagree with your sentiment...some folks are just retarded with the descriptions of their horsepower. Now if there was a giant Weiand sitting on top of that motor and it ran on alcohol...well...then I guess we'd have something to talk about. Any boast of 650 out of any sort of non-pressurized gasoline-based 350 is just a load of hooey. Ain't happening.

Last edited by keithinspace; 09-12-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 597 Likes on 485 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of gear heads never dyno the car. They always think it's makes much more power then it really does.

The FI car is COOL. I'd drive the hell out of that on nice days.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:29 PM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So... I go to Super Car Sunday here in Southern California...

Wife wanted to go, and so I figures why not...

Got there and started to walk around and look,,, some cool cars,,, and below are some pics,,,

So, anyway.. the story.. got to this red one (pictures below) cool paddy wagon car.. Give him several compliments on the work and look... then he went and did it... "And it 650hp!!" NOW he has my attention,,, so I take a look at the engine,, Edelbrock performer heads.. 6 pac carbs on a low low rise manifold and small header tubs... Im thinking ,,, yea, right... but I'll give a little benefit of doubt.. I ask what size.. "It's a 350" ... ok,,, I could not do it... I could not hold back.. I looked at him and said it...

If you talk your ride to a car show .... Just know that more likely than not, that their will be a car guy there that actually knows his/her chit.. And you just look like a fool.
Rant off...

The F1 car... Street legal:-) now how cool it that... He said he and his wife were going down the 405 to SanDegio and 6 highway patrol cars circled him on all sides for about 30 minutes... but never pulled him over...

nice arm CANDY!!!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 PM
GTOMike06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Alot of engine builders tell customers crazy horsepower number knowing they'll never check it. My old boss built quite a few motors for cars and would tell the people what kind of astronomical power it would make and a couple times they threw it on a dyno and we're very disappointed. But he'd always throw some bs like I was talking about at the flywheel numbers and under ideal conditions when they called him on it.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A good percentage of owners have no clue how much they arent making, I just nod and let them talk thats fine at least they are enjoying the hobby.

Problem is if a builder/tuner/porter tells an honest number and the internet says it should be more the guys business will get trashed. Crate engine retailers are notorious for it. Its wrong but in a sense they almost have to.

The web, phone apps and dynos have taken the place of going down the track makes it hard for the honest guy out there. When asked I respond, " I dont know, doesnt matter." Get weird looks

Anyway sure 300hp will move that around pretty good

More pics of the wife. Lots

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wouldnt it be funny if he had a system plumbed under the intake
Old 09-12-2016, 02:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Jeese they are up to 650HP now from a 350ci ? When I stopped going to car shows every 350ci engine there was putting out a measly 500HPi
Old 09-12-2016, 04:55 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Hey my small block makes exactly 650 horsies

The following users liked this post:
MSGT-R (09-19-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:18 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76Rat
That's because you are running that really tiny cam! He is running a monster prototype cam that you just wouldn't understand.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Bummer... why don't people tell me about these things??

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Horsepower is a funny thing. I've gotten my hand slapped here at the forum once for potentially overstating the horsepower of my 350.

I'm running a fairly radical solid-roller 350 with 6 inches of idle vacuum, nearly 6/10ths of lift, solid rollers, 200 cc aluminum heads, 10.5:1 compression, and a bunch of goodies. The thing sounds like it's ready to jump out of the car and kill someone. Seriously pissed off engine.

There was a time when I described my engine as "nearly 500 hp". I then backed down to "somewhere in the 450 to 500 hp range". THEN I reduced the description to "comfortably 450 hp". Now I simply describe it as "over 400". I feel strongly that it is a safe statement, it being a sub-4-second 0-60 car with painfully tall gearing.

I'd love to toss the thing on a dyno, but don't feel like paying the money. I don't really need to 'tune' it as I keep making small changes that would negate the money spent on a 'tune' every time.

But I don't disagree with your sentiment...some folks are just retarded with the descriptions of their horsepower. Now if there was a giant Weiand sitting on top of that motor and it ran on alcohol...well...then I guess we'd have something to talk about. Any boast of 650 out of any sort of non-pressurized gasoline-based 350 is just a load of hooey. Ain't happening.
Originally Posted by ddawson
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of gear heads never dyno the car. They always think it's makes much more power then it really does.

The FI car is COOL. I'd drive the hell out of that on nice days.
Funny... When i first got on the forum about 12 years ago there was a Dyno thread... and I had just gotten my 350 dyno'ed or I thought... (the rip off place, R&E Racing Lancaster Ca.) did not do my dyno but gave me a copy of someone else's.. to stated like 500hp at the rear wheels... I was stoked.. I posted it here,,, hahahahah.. bis did I get ripped apart... George (Gkall) took me to the carpet with this... Well, needless to say, he was way right, and I took that paper back to them and lade into them, for making me look like a fool..... to say the least...
Now I own my own Dyno:-)

Yea.. wife wants me to build one next... although it would be a hoot to drive it on the freeway.. I'm not sure i want to spend the next 2 years of my life building one..
But still very very cool...

Originally Posted by rays699
nice arm CANDY!!!!!
Yes she is,,, and I love her to death... She wants another baby... so, maybe:-)

Originally Posted by GTOMike06
Alot of engine builders tell customers crazy horsepower number knowing they'll never check it. My old boss built quite a few motors for cars and would tell the people what kind of astronomical power it would make and a couple times they threw it on a dyno and we're very disappointed. But he'd always throw some bs like I was talking about at the flywheel numbers and under ideal conditions when they called him on it.
So so true... numbers sale

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

A good percentage of owners have no clue how much they arent making, I just nod and let them talk thats fine at least they are enjoying the hobby.

Problem is if a builder/tuner/porter tells an honest number and the internet says it should be more the guys business will get trashed. Crate engine retailers are notorious for it. Its wrong but in a sense they almost have to.

The web, phone apps and dynos have taken the place of going down the track makes it hard for the honest guy out there. When asked I respond, " I dont know, doesnt matter." Get weird looks

Anyway sure 300hp will move that around pretty good

More pics of the wife. Lots
hey... this is a car forum not a cheesecake event:-)

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Wouldnt it be funny if he had a system plumbed under the intake
If that engine was running all the NOS in the world, it still would not produce 650hp... EVER

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Jeese they are up to 650HP now from a 350ci ? When I stopped going to car shows every 350ci engine there was putting out a measly 500HPi
hahahahahaha..... so true..
Do they really believe the chit that flows from there mouths? Or do they really believe the people they tell that chit to will believe them??

I got so sick of it with the ricers I bought my own in group Dyno just so when i hear the next Honda guy calming 800hp, ill say... and I have said this... "Really??? hey thats amazing!!! tell you what, I have a Chassis Dyno at home and if you come even within 10% of that number, Ill pay you $500!! but if you don't, you pay me $300 for my Dyno time" have not gotten a taker yet...
Old 09-12-2016, 05:19 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by capevettes
Hey my small block makes exactly 650 horsies

mine too... but without a Supercharger:-)
Old 09-12-2016, 05:30 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

When I speak to these people I ask the question.

whats your 1/4 mile MPH

The second question is when I ask, "why don't you take it to the track and see how fast it really is ?"

People do not want to know the truth about anything. We live our lives in our dreams and don't want anyone to wake us from them.

Every Mod I have done to my car "Is the best thing I ever did" why because I spent money on it and I am so smart and never waste a penny on anything .

Truth is for me is I waste money on my car. Why ? because I can.

So the story is the more you spend the bigger the lie needs to be.

So my car now should have about 1000+ HP

Also by this time next year I will once again have a very low mileage 78 corvette. something like 1000k miles. or maybe 125,200 miles, it will depend on how I feel that day.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:41 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

BS.. that engine no way puts out 650 hp,,I just built a ***** to the all 427 and I am right there,,You would be lucky to see 300hp... and then he says he has $15K in the motor...
Did you not notice the chrome alternator, and the braided hoses? Look at all the chrome around the engine bay....that HAS to add up to at least a couple hundred horsepower right there, no?
Originally Posted by rays699
nice arm CANDY!!!!!
Yes, she`s quite a doll, isn`t she?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Even the supposed pro engine builders exaggerate 'official' HP figures. Take any engine from a 'named' crate engine supplier together with its official dyno sheet and see if you are able to match it on another dyno. Bet you won't - bet you'll be at least 10% down from the published figures. As for late model supercharged vehicles with their manufacturers quoted 650 and 707 HP - a question for you all: how often will your on board 'granny' safety devices like electronic traction control etc allow you to actually put all that advertised HP down to the road surface unrestrained?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:16 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I bet that F1 is a blast and a passenger seat to boot
Old 09-12-2016, 08:15 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Even the supposed pro engine builders exaggerate 'official' HP figures. Take any engine from a 'named' crate engine supplier together with its official dyno sheet and see if you are able to match it on another dyno. Bet you won't - bet you'll be at least 10% down from the published figures. As for late model supercharged vehicles with their manufacturers quoted 650 and 707 HP - a question for you all: how often will your on board 'granny' safety devices like electronic traction control etc allow you to actually put all that advertised HP down to the road surface unrestrained?
I have a '13 556HP CTS-V. To answer your question, I just turn it off.

Get notified of new replies

To Car shows and BS horse power Dreams

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
I bet that F1 is a blast and a passenger seat to boot

That is not a F1 car by any means........... somewhat look a like?????? The suspension even in the early 70's was way above that and they never had aluminum wings like that. even 70's indy cars had higher tech front suspension than that car. I've be a race mech and pit crew for historic motor racing.

Paul what kind of motor did it have?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Is it me, or did they misspell "garage"?

The following 2 users liked this post by wendellp601:
AirBusPilot (09-13-2016), MSGT-R (09-19-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

First thing the guy should count his lucky stars it doesn't have 650 h.p ,because if it did he would kill himself because he's obviously stupid. I'd bet the guy wrote a check for the car. And knows nothing about cars.
But yes car show guys generally know little. They are guys that dreamed about cars some of us actually had in our younger days . They had fantasies about being cool and never were and never will be.it doesn't make us better to put them down, pity them. The guy I love is Herb Mcandless he takes his chrysler 300 and an Imperial to shows,guys come in and b.s with him about horsepower and he just smiles and says wow. If you don't know who Herb is Google it.
Another old friend "general " Lee Edwards is the same way around know it alls ,as is Gene Altizer these guys were there did it got the reputation .they may get a laugh out of it later. But if a guy with a slant six valiant thinks he has 300 horsepower let him have his dream. He's never been there or done anything and he's hurting no one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car shows and BS horse power Dreams