C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 72 L-48 running hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Stock 72 L-48 running hot

I changed my water pump due to a wobbling shaft and now it is running hot. The temp creeps above the normal high temperature of 210 degrees in the summer. It does not boil over or overheat, but it does reach 225 which is 15 degrees warmer than it has ever run before.

I changed the thermostat with no change. Can I have a bad water pump? Normally it is usually the last thing you messed with.

Timing, fan clutch, hoses, radiator seals, air dam lip are all unchanged and in good shape. Coolant levels are topped with fresh mix.

Any suggestions? Should I contact the vendor and try to get another pump?

Thank you.

Hot in Texas...
Old 09-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I would buy a pump from a different supplier and install it......you may have a rebuild with a crummy impeller design.....
Not that bad of a job to confirm yes or no and relatively inexpensive as well.......
I purchased a new unit from O'reiley for less than $40.....after trying and failing to get a Weiand pump that would fit after three attempts.....
It is a 406 with 10.5 to 1 and stays cool with this pump.....180-185....and that was last month here......

Jebby

Quick Reply: Stock 72 L-48 running hot