C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

troubleshooting turn signal bulbs in speedo cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Geeful
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubleshooting turn signal bulbs in speedo cluster

I have searched and found plenty of information on removing the speedo cluster, and as such have removed the front speedo lens and secondary bezel hoping to change the bulbs and move on.
The only thing not working is the left turn signal bulb, and if it makes any difference the cruise control.
Anyway, I pulled the bulb from the left signal out of through the front side with a pair of needle nose and the bulb was fine. I moved the working right bulb to the left socket and nothing. The brass within the socket looks shiny and new. Any more ideas before I have to remove the whole cluster and begin troubleshooting from the rear? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I had same problem....had to remove the cluster, & found that the little elect. strips going to the bulb had a bit of corrosion...cleaned it, as well as all the other places on the strips...& has worked gr8 since! A good time to disconnect the speedo cable & squirt some lube down it....and disconnect the cable at the tranny so you can see when it starts running out of it, that way you know the entire cable is lubed. CAUTION: when you put the cable back together, connect the end that goes to your speedo FIRST, as you will be able to rotate it at the tranny to put that end back on, easier than TRYING to rotate the speedo end if you connect the tranny end first!!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Geeful
Navigator

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I'll try to continue removing the cluster today and see if my problem matches yours.
Were you able to pull cluster out from the front? I have read of some success doing that but will find out for myself I guess.
Any particular lube for squirting in speedo cable? Also anything special for cleaning electrical strips? I have some electrical cleaner I have used on model train wiring connections. Would this be adequate?
Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Geeful
Navigator

OK, so I may be beating a dead horse on this site, but I will share what I found and did with a photo just in case it is a benefit to anyone else looking.
I followed the advice of the above post and cleaned all of the contact points. Pulling each socket cleaning the circuit and then the socket. Then I cleaned the male and female plug ends that power the circuit. Plugged it back in and everything works perfectly. Thanks again!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To troubleshooting turn signal bulbs in speedo cluster

Quick Reply: troubleshooting turn signal bulbs in speedo cluster