C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on springs please

Old 09-23-2016, 12:17 AM
JRHendo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Information on springs please

Hi all,

My 1973 SB has been lowered by a PO. We're doing a rally next year and it will have some unsealed roads. I want to raise the car to at least it's factory height.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the original springs? Free height, compressed height, spring diameter?

If anyone has raised their car at all, I'd love to know what springs to use.

Also, how do you raise the rear? I remember something about changing a bolt, but the rest escapes me.

Regards

John
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi John,
I'll address the rear ride height.
If the rear spring is still the original type steel 9 or 7 leaf spring the ride height INCREASES as the spring to trailing arm bolts are SHORTENED.
The original bolts were about 6-3/4" long and had a very short threaded portion, so had little adjustment.
The original rear ride height was about 28" from the ground to the center of the wheel arch. This dimension is dependent on the wheel and tire size on the car.
Besides the springs I'd also take a look at the exhaust system to insure that it's tucked up against the rear differential as near as is possible.
Original systems had flattened pipes in this area to give a bit more clearance.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Short threaded area on original bolt.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-23-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHendo
Hi all,

My 1973 SB has been lowered by a PO. We're doing a rally next year and it will have some unsealed roads. I want to raise the car to at least it's factory height.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the original springs? Free height, compressed height, spring diameter?

If anyone has raised their car at all, I'd love to know what springs to use.

Also, how do you raise the rear? I remember something about changing a bolt, but the rest escapes me.

Regards

John
If the car has been lowered, it was either by cutting the original spring or buying an F-41 type spring the lowers the car an inch. If that is the case, to raise the front back up you may have to purchase another set of factory replacement springs. Original springs were about 15 1/4. I don't remember the diameter of the metal.

Get notified of new replies

To Information on springs please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Information on springs please