C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Corvette pulling to the right when applying the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Default 1971 Corvette pulling to the right when applying the brakes

So I had to change some of the wheel studs on my 71. One on the right front and a couple on the rear. I did not remove the pads from the calipers or open up the brake system and I did one wheel at a time. Once everything was completed, I had no brake pedal. I bleed the brakes, had my son in the car, and could not get a good pedal. Put the car back in the garage for the night figured I would try again the next day. Came out in the morning and believe it or not, pedal was fine. Took the car for a ride and it now pulls to the right when you hit the brakes. Is there still are in the system? Any help would be appreciated. Previous owner spent some money on the brakes, all stainless steel lines, calipers are new and system is using Dot5 fluid. Any help would be great. Thanks, Bill
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Brakes

I would check out a few things. First check to see if one of the calipers is leaking. Start by looking at the left side calipers and pads both front and back. If the caliper leaks on the pad, it will not have the same energy absorbing capacity and the car will pull to the opposites side. Next, I would check to see if the rubber brake lines are in good working order. If one is clogged, again, the car will pull to the opposite side. I would also check to see if a left side caliper piston is cocked or stuck in the bore. That will cause the car to pull to the left. That caliper may also be hotter than the others. Good luck. Jerry
The following users liked this post:
HT1663WB (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

A wild guess, but check the fluid level in the MC. If it is low, air may have gotten into the system and "bubbled out" over night, and given you a firm pedal in the morning. You may still have air in the system causing a weak caliper on one side.
HT1663WB (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
So I had to change some of the wheel studs on my 71. One on the right front and a couple on the rear. I did not remove the pads from the calipers or open up the brake system and I did one wheel at a time. Once everything was completed, I had no brake pedal. I bleed the brakes, had my son in the car, and could not get a good pedal. Put the car back in the garage for the night figured I would try again the next day. Came out in the morning and believe it or not, pedal was fine. Took the car for a ride and it now pulls to the right when you hit the brakes. Is there still are in the system? Any help would be appreciated. Previous owner spent some money on the brakes, all stainless steel lines, calipers are new and system is using Dot5 fluid. Any help would be great. Thanks, Bill
Bleed LF caliper as the RF is working which pulls wheels right.
HT1663WB (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:48 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Bleed LF caliper as the RF is working which pulls wheels right.

Also check the LF for leakage.
HT1663WB (09-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Corvette pulling to the right when applying the brakes

Quick Reply: 1971 Corvette pulling to the right when applying the brakes