C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For Trailing Arm Bushes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for all the comments and info chaps! All very interesting and, perhaps a little daunting! I'm beginning to wonder if this is a job we're up to! Some more reading and looking at You Tube required I think!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Along that line.....

I believe that when I replaced the TABs on my wife's former '79 C-3, I used a somewhat large diameter drill, to cut the "flared end" of the sleeve. Same result, different route to get there.

Also, thinking back, when you use rubber bushings, the factory shop manual calls out a specific amount of "crush" to be applied to the bushings, before flaring the sleeve. The poly bushings don't call this out, as obviously, they won't crush.....
CORRECT...but the VB&P bushings ( if that is what we are talking about) DO have a measurement that you need to observe...and that is the GAP they want you to achieve by using their shims to achieve this. I believe the gap is .010''.

DUB
Old 10-06-2016, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I stand corrected.

I knew pressing them out was not a method. Potential mass destruction to the end of the TA would occur. Even though.... I was hoping that someone showed it on YouTube....I was dying to see it in a video. because I have no problem in admitting when I am completely incorrect.

Last time I checked..the last time I was able to walk on water was in Ohio when Lake Erie froze at the shoreline.

DUB
Old 10-07-2016, 08:38 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
CORRECT...but the VB&P bushings ( if that is what we are talking about) DO have a measurement that you need to observe...and that is the GAP they want you to achieve by using their shims to achieve this. I believe the gap is .010''.

DUB

Now that you mention it, yeah, you're right.....as I mentioned initially, the last time I did this job, was a little over 20 years ago, so I might have forgotten a detail or two....but you jogged my memory, and I do remember those shims.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Obviously... I just put the two parts back together for the photo.

Not that this matters....but these photos are of a trailing arm bushing inner sleeve parts that I had cut out of a trailing arm with my Porta band as I have mentioned.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:08 AM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Starting this procedure in Jan. I am thinking a sawz-all would work like the bandsaw? Just need to keep it from jumping out onto the arm.

I thought for sure I saw a well documented pictorial on this in this forum at one time
Old 12-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

If poly was such an inferior product, no one would make them anymore.
Wow. Then anything still made is not inferior?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

I have had poly bushings all over the car for years. They work well where compliance is not an issue.
Rotary motion works well. Use silicone grease, and they work:
A arms. Use locktite, or the nuts back out.
Sway bar bushings. Once again grease them with silicone.
On top of the diffy. Works fine
T/As, they bind here as well as radius rods. As Dub pointed out, anything with xyz movement, they bind. I have VB and P smart struts with poly. Every time I am under the car, one side has a jamb nut loose. The lack of compliance causes the rod end to loosen, and the rod end swivels in and out of the rod. NOT good. These are going away this winter.
If I do the T/As again, they will go away as well.
Body mounts I can see advantages, but my rubber is still good. However, I would not hesitate to use them there.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

A sawzall with long blades is the only thing I could use to cut thru the SHIMS and the BOLT.....completely rusted mess.....I have the big advantage of having a 22' long x 3-1/2' wide x 6' deep cemented in PIT to work in!!
I didn't even try to disassemble the TA's...sent 'em to Gary at vtech
Putting everything back together was FUN compared to takin' it all out...what a DREAM to drive after doing all that (along w/ all other rear end & front end component rebuild) along w/ a total alignment....a NEW car drive!!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:11 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Wow. Then anything still made is not inferior?
Nope. Drop down to HF and you can see lots of inferior products.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Nope. Drop down to HF and you can see lots of inferior products.
I don't need to. I have shelves of repop Corvette trash.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by akdale
Starting this procedure in Jan. I am thinking a sawz-all would work like the bandsaw? Just need to keep it from jumping out onto the arm.

I thought for sure I saw a well documented pictorial on this in this forum at one time
It all depends on when and where you plan on using your sawzall???

When I am using my Porta-band....the trailing arm is out of the car (obviously).

I am sure your sawzall will work IF you are trying to cut out the trailing arm bushings from the trailing arm itself. It just may take longer or eat up a blade or two.

I have both tools...a Sawzall and a Portaband. And I will grab the Porta band every time when I have to cut out trailing arm bushings. It is much faster.

As you know...a Sawzall..the blade just goes back and forth...thus it can get HOT. A Portaband....the blade is much longer and it turns...so it can stay cooler and cut better, faster, longer. Because parts of this trailing arm bushing are REALLY HARD steel.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-04-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

when I went to change out the bushings, I just went ahead and did everthing to the rear: new spring, pumpkin gone thru with new lutch pack, bearings etc., trailing arms sent off and completely rebuilt with new SS emergency brakes, new rotors that were checked for run-out etc., everthing painted, new shocks, body cleaned and painted in this are. It was done during the winter and gives me peace of mind knowing that everything is good in this are. then did the same to the front.AND yes the saws-all worked, just buy the best and longest blades you can find!!!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 12-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Time For Trailing Arm Bushes???