C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I pay for a complete 400 sbc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Thought I would try to post the pix as an attachment. Never tried this before as I thought pix needed a URL. Lets see how it works.

Finding good used 400" blocks under $450 is not easy. I looked at whole long block, pan to carb, for $300 (he was asking $400 but wanted to move it that day). That seemed like a nice find but there were no block numbers on the stamped pad. Had to me a re-man motor as over the counter replacement blocks at least had CExxxxx stamped on the pad. Stock 400 blocks don't normally take a lot of overbore - 0.040" if your lucky but I have heard of 0.060" overbore.

Well I may have mentioned before this isn't a max effort build. I've accepted the stock blocks are really only trusted to 500hp. But a stock 400 block will get you there making more torque with less cam and RPM than a 383" motor . Less $$$ too.
Attached Images      
Old 12-28-2017, 10:53 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

So I was looking over Craigslist for sbc heads and came across a 400 entire engine for only $200. Got to contact seller only hours after he posted and it was really in the wrong section so not many block vultures (like me) would see it. I guess the young owner had to get it outa his parents home as he now lives out of town and just visiting for the holidays.

Yep, had to drive over 220 miles to pick it up but now it's mine.. That makes 400 block #3.. Just couldn't pass it up for $200.
So now with three 400 blocks I should have enough shouldn't I? I just gotta stop looking at Craigslist. I know that block is worth $400 bare. And they (standard bore 400 blocks) seem to get harder to find. But can I really have to many? At least now I will never need a 4" bore 350 block.

And I was worried I couldn't find a 400 block when I need to start a build for my '74.. This one looks really mucked up in the lifter valley. But I'm hoping the crank is usable for a buget 400 build on this one. Nothing fancy or expensive but have enough torque to throw my C3 around.

Quick Reply: What should I pay for a complete 400 sbc?