C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 wiper solenoid energized...

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Every time I read another post about the problems with the 68 wiper system I thank the PO who installed a "long" style hood on my 68 convert and removed the pesky wiper door and the associated switches, relays and other stuff.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
My bezel is cracked at the sharp corners. I ran a lead from the upper bezel, where the wiper switch is located, to a common ground point.

I don't exactly recall the sequence, but:
2. Manually opened the wiper door.
3. Ensured that the wipers were not locked up under the wiper door (they may have been; could this cause a problem and drain the battery?)
4. after installing the ground lead to the upper bezel,
5. and ensuring the vacuum hoses were appropriately installed,
6. and ensuring the wiring was appropriately run, then
7. It appears the solenoid was no longer energized by just hooking up the battery.

I then replaced actuator seal and override plunger/switch, and everything worked just super.
No problem, I got that mess straightened out when I put the override switch in the right position and wired up the new motor connector correctly. Had two wires crossed.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:17 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can say this much. if you turn on the wiper switch,then turn it off immeditaly;;youve just started the system. and if thats all you have done,and think all is ok,,its not.the battery will drain,,,,reason being, the wipers did not cycle or in other words,the wiper blades did not come out and wipe the windshield a couple times,then go back down and the wiperdoor must close to end the cycle. so if you inadvertently hit the wiper switch on then off without letting the blades come up and do there thing,and door closes ,,,the electrical stuff will still be on..battery will drain fast. see what im saying
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That maybe what happened, because whenever the battery got enough juice the wipers made one swipe and parked themselves. Haven't had a problem with them since, with the override switch in the clockwise position. Originally I think the battery got drained when the courtesy lights stayed on, because the driver's side under dash light came loose in the bracket when I was adjusting the door alignment. Still need to do something with that bracket because that bracket doesn't hold the bulb fixture very tight, and it has come loose a couple times, but I caught it in time because I know exactly where to look now.
​​​
Old 05-22-2017, 07:27 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same courtesy light issue,,no bulb in it. Left it that way for now. Must cycle wipers,or else drain. Ttyl tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 wiper solenoid energized...