C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'76 rear end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:26 PM
SEVNT6
Safety Car

Received 1,807 Likes on 820 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought mine new & had my first "clunk" like yours in the mid '80s. Once maybe twice a year for the next 15 years or so. Then back around 2000 I changed the rear end oil for the 1st time. Used an old oil pump from a Toyota that a friend had turned into a suck gun. Got all 46oz out through the fill hole. Filled it with 1 bottle of GM special formula rear end gear lube, put in 1 bottle of GM rear end lube additive, then added 1 more bottle of lube......

I've never had one single clunk since......
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
Taking it into the shop today... I will have them look at all these things.
Mike, one thing you haven't mentioned is how many miles are on the differential (car?) and are you aware if anyone has ever been into it before?

I ask this because in the late 70's some of the Corvettes were having problems with ring gear bolts coming loose. Typically a bolt would work loose and as it backed out, it would strike the rib in the rear cover and eventually snap off. The rear would click (as the bolt struck the rib) until the head of the bolt snapped off then get quiet. Until the next bolt would loosen. This would repeat itself until the owner was sufficiently alarmed to investigate and correct the problem, or enough bolts let go that the ring gear would spin on the posi.

It is not unusual to see a rear cover with chips missing from the internal rib. A sure sign that this cover suffered the loose-ring-gear-bolt malady.

This is of course a long shot in your case, but it's a possibility. Stick a magnet down into the differential and see if it comes out with any chunks of metal.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 08-10-2017, 07:32 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Mike, one thing you haven't mentioned is how many miles are on the differential (car?) and are you aware if anyone has ever been into it before?
I'm just about to turn 79k, and I have no idea if its been opened up before, other than my guy who changed the fluid/additive.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Wilsonhvac
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound

i had a very similiar symptom. Was rebuilding entire rear end anyway. Did everything before rebuilding rearend. Found a couple broken posi clutch plates in rearend. After that it hasnt made noise since. I think they were binding and then would pop loose when moving slow.

Quick Reply: '76 rear end clunking