C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Color and Plating on Q-Jet Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Default Correct Color and Plating on Q-Jet Carbs

There is a good thread with good photos over in the C3 General Section about correct plating and appearance of Q-Jet carbs. It's good info for those of you looking for correct, original used carbs, and it gives you a good standard to compare against so you can identify the dreaded "commercial rebuilds" from their appearance.

Lars

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rb-colour.html
Old 10-22-2016, 10:11 AM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ? 4 Lars

Originally Posted by lars
There is a good thread with good photos over in the C3 General Section about correct plating and appearance of Q-Jet carbs. It's good info for those of you looking for correct, original used carbs, and it gives you a good standard to compare against so you can identify the dreaded "commercial rebuilds" from their appearance.

Lars

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rb-colour.html
Hey there Lars,
I just read the above posting and would like to know why anyone would drill out the bleed hole on the pulloff???? As a matter of fact I am not even sure that I could find that hole????....
Any of your expertise regarding will be appreciated

mk's78 Mike...

And btw my 78's starting after a week or longer has greatly improved since I took your advice and replaced the fuel pump....You were spot on!!!!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:34 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

People drill the bleed hole to make the pulloff "relax" faster for quicker secondary airvalve opening. The bleed is right inside the vacuum nipple, so all you have to do is run a drill bit in through the nipple. There are some pulloffs that have a very slow "relax rate," so a slight increase in bleed hole diameter can be of benefit. But most people doing the drilling simply drill out the bleed entirely, which results in the airvalves opening prematurely, and inducing a bog when transitioning into the secondaries.

Lars
Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I have a carb that was acid tanked before rebuild and even here in dry Nevada it's getting covered with surface rust on all the steel parts. I should have sealed it in a bag when I had the chance. All original carb though. Acid tanking does a darn good job of cleaning though and relatively fast. Wish there was a good eco-friendly dip to replate them. Painting and powder coating takes to much prep work.

Can't have to many spare carbs. And I picked up another q-jet core this summer for ten bucks plus $2 entry fee to the swap meet. Has APT and electric choke too - but only 750cfm. I can live with it though.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:37 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Problem with that is that the carb body is given a final zinc plating, then given a dip in the chromate protective coating that was applied. The acid tank use likely removed all of the chromate and probably removed some or all of the zinc plating. Thus, there is little...or NO..protective coating left on the bare carb body. And that coating is as important on the inside of the carb as it is on the outside.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Color and Plating on Q-Jet Carbs

Quick Reply: Correct Color and Plating on Q-Jet Carbs