C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 tilt tele steering column, how do I remove the turn signal lever?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Default '79 tilt tele steering column, how do I remove the turn signal lever?

I have had to pull apart my column to replace the key switch, so thought while I'm at it I will give the column a paint, but how do you remove the lever? I read Jim Sheas paper but still not 100% on this.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:21 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Others will correct me if I'm wrong as it's been at least 9 years since I replaced mine. I'm pretty sure it just pulls out. I remember thinking it took significant force, and I thought I was going to break something, but it finally pulled out, and the replacement just popped in as I recall. Mine is a 79 tilt/tele without cruise.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The 79 lever is a press fit lever and pulls out.. just be careful when you do, the housing it is pressed into (the dimmer switch pivot) is something that can't be replaced.

Willcox
Old 10-25-2016, 12:59 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Hmm, seeing the pivot is made unobtainium, I will leave the lever in place and work around it!
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Hmm, seeing the pivot is made unobtainium, I will leave the lever in place and work around it!
Thanks for the info.
Smart Man.. because they are mad of Unobtainium... rarer than gold dust in Florida...

Willcox
Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

The links for Jim Sheas site are broken, anyone else have links for how to replace the turn signal switch?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
The links for Jim Sheas site are broken, anyone else have links for how to replace the turn signal switch?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-b...mn-papers.html
Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

is there anyway to adjust the pivot arm to turn signal switch? I cant get my left blinker to engage, or lock.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

is there anyway to adjust the pivot arm to turn signal switch? I cant get my left blinker to engage, or lock.
Adjusting the pivot arm has nothing to do with why your left signal isn't working. I assume the right works fine???

I would bet that your column is not correctly clocked.

DUB
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
Adjusting the pivot arm has nothing to do with why your left signal isn't working. I assume the right works fine???

I would bet that your column is not correctly clocked.

DUB
could be, I cant push the level down far enough to actuate the cam to turn on the signal or make it to the lock position.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

could be, I cant push the level down far enough to actuate the cam to turn on the signal or make it to the lock position.
At the risk of hijacking a thread, my turn lever behaves the same way, in that it will not lock in the left turn position. But, I have to assume that something has "slipped" on the column etc, as it used to work fine and over the years (26) the issue has got worse. Thankfully, it's not a "fail" in the regular "Controle Technique" (roadworthiness test) here.

I looked at the Shea papers detailing how to get at it - and decided I could live with it!

Last edited by Stephen Irons; 01-16-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Turn your steering wheel slightly to one side and try it and see if it works. then if it does not...turn it back and go past 'centered' and go the other way a little bit and try it again.

If it works in either direction...I would bet your column and parts are not correctly keyed and centered so the turn signals are in a neutral state so they can be applied when the steering wheel is straight.

DUB
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

FWIW, on my 79, mine won't stay locked on for left turns either. No problem with right turns. And as mentioned above, I can hold the lever down and it operates normally. I've disassembled the column several times and gotten it to work for few months at a time, but it always gets out of adjustment again. I've never had the motivation to replace the turn signal switch to see if it permanently fixes the problem.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
Turn your steering wheel slightly to one side and try it and see if it works. then if it does not...turn it back and go past 'centered' and go the other way a little bit and try it again.

If it works in either direction...I would bet your column and parts are not correctly keyed and centered so the turn signals are in a neutral state so they can be applied when the steering wheel is straight.

DUB
steering wheel removed to install new switch, old switch and new switch cant be moved far enough to engage left signal.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

steering wheel removed to install new switch, old switch and new switch cant be moved far enough to engage left signal.
Need a photo of your column at this point.

I also need to know if the 'U' clip can be installed by it coming in from the top.

And if your wheels are STRAIGHT when you take the photo of the end of the column shaft.

NOW...if you want to start your own thread....PM me withe the link to it.

DUB
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I feel for ya! The key cylinder in my '79 locked in the "RUN" position. Merely moving the turn signal switch out of the way found some ball bearings of unknown origin. Put it all back together to find no cancels. Bought a switch from AutoZone and it refused to cancel after numerous attempts to get everything right. Bought an OEM switch and cancelling cam and had them installed by a local shop that specializes in Corvettes in a rare instance of giving up. Results:

1) The turn signals STILL only cancel when they want to with right turns (usually) the worst.

2) I reaffirmed that if, despite patience, general skills and research, I am having a vexing problem there's an awfully good chance that the "experts" will encounter the same.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
Need a photo of your column at this point.

I also need to know if the 'U' clip can be installed by it coming in from the top.

And if your wheels are STRAIGHT when you take the photo of the end of the column shaft.

NOW...if you want to start your own thread....PM me withe the link to it.

DUB
actually I picked this thread hoping Willcox would chime in again. No the U clip goes in from the 4 o clock position wheels are straight.

Last edited by Kacyc3; 01-17-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '79 tilt tele steering column, how do I remove the turn signal lever?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

KacyC3.

IF your front wheels are pointing straight....and this is your column. I see the problem right off the bat.

I can not clearly see the notch a the very end of your steering column shaft....but what I can see is that the columns is so badly rotated...the turn signals will never work correctly.

What appears to be a notch looks like it is point towards 10 o'clock which tells me someone had been down in this column rather deeply and got a part out 180 degrees.

The roughly 3/8" hole in the lock plate...that is opposite of the small oval area where the horn contact shows. The 3/8" hole needs to be a 6 o'clock...and the small oval white portion of the horn contact MUST be at 12 o'clock. AND the wheels MUST be pointing straight ahead.

DUB
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
I feel for ya! The key cylinder in my '79 locked in the "RUN" position. Merely moving the turn signal switch out of the way found some ball bearings of unknown origin. Put it all back together to find no cancels. Bought a switch from AutoZone and it refused to cancel after numerous attempts to get everything right. Bought an OEM switch and cancelling cam and had them installed by a local shop that specializes in Corvettes in a rare instance of giving up. Results:

1) The turn signals STILL only cancel when they want to with right turns (usually) the worst.

2) I reaffirmed that if, despite patience, general skills and research, I am having a vexing problem there's an awfully good chance that the "experts" will encounter the same.
The small bearing that looked like chromed B-B's were from either the upepr or lower bearing that are in the main housing.

Unless I am lucky as heck..I have YET to not be able to get turn signals to work correctly.

If you care to..and get back into this an post photos....I would like to help you because if we cannot get this...this would be the very first steering column I could not get the turn signals to work correctly.

DUB
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
KacyC3.

IF your front wheels are pointing straight....and this is your column. I see the problem right off the bat.

I can not clearly see the notch a the very end of your steering column shaft....but what I can see is that the columns is so badly rotated...the turn signals will never work correctly.

What appears to be a notch looks like it is point towards 10 o'clock which tells me someone had been down in this column rather deeply and got a part out 180 degrees.

The roughly 3/8" hole in the lock plate...that is opposite of the small oval area where the horn contact shows. The 3/8" hole needs to be a 6 o'clock...and the small oval white portion of the horn contact MUST be at 12 o'clock. AND the wheels MUST be pointing straight ahead.

DUB
how car into this column will i have to go to fix it?

Quick Reply: '79 tilt tele steering column, how do I remove the turn signal lever?