C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my engine out and tore dowm

Old 11-05-2016, 08:35 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Got my engine out and tore dowm

It has been awhile. I have patiently waiting to get time and money to get my engine repaired. Today I finally pulled it out and disassembled it partially. two of the cam lobes were practically gone and the lifters were hollowed out. It is a Crane cam model 134591. The specs are:

Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 3,000-6,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 246
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236 int./246 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 296
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 306
Advertised Duration: 296 int./306 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.553 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.571 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.553 int./0.571 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 114

I can go with this or if anyone could suggest something better.

I don't want to replace the springs. Just the cam and lifters.

The rest of the engine is pristine. A 454 that looks to be 30 over. The botton of the pistons have 0300 on them. There is no wear on the cylinder walls. So I am going to just do a basic overhaul. New cam, lifters, rings, etc.

Also if anyone can think of any gotchas I need to look out for.

It came out rather easy but I know that putting it back won't be.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd check the bearings since the cam and lifter material went someplace
Old 11-05-2016, 09:11 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

it went into the oil. lots of very fine metal in the pan. It was so fine that I couldn't feel it. I could see it though. Looked almost like silver paint in the oil. I am going to replace the bearings too.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:33 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Admittedly a little more cash outlay, but I'd really think about going to a hydraulic roller cam. End the messing around with what oil to use, break in problems, and wondering if it's going to die again. One and done.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:26 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

They are too expensive and I hope to eventually do an LS swap so I just want it running again. Since I posted this tonight I've been reading and I think I am going back with the same setup. It ran well before the cam failure and sounded pretty good. The lope was mild but still had enough vacuum to run the lights and wiper door. The only upgrade I am considering is a FiTech fuel injection.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:10 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

You'll consider upgrading to FI but not a retrofit roller cam?
Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Originally Posted by SH-60B
You'll consider upgrading to FI but not a retrofit roller cam?
Not crazy. FiTech fuel injection will help with cold starts, fuel economy, dependability. It is also easily removed. Also once I change the engine I can sell it independently of the engine and recoup some of its cost. I don't think the roller cam will be a selling point for the engine that will demand more money. Also the fuel injection is not engine specific so I will have a larger market to sell it to. So who's crazy?

Also I wasn't planning on doing the FI right now anyhow. It is just the only upgrade I might put into this engine. I suppose I assumed everyone knew what was going on with my car. I got this car last December. It had been sitting up for awhile. The PO cranked it every once in awhile but it sat most of the time. Well, when I bought it I couldn't drive it for a couple months. So this spring after I got it registered and insured I started driving it. It ran well but I guess having someone drive it almost daily and sometimes got into it it broke.

My intention is a future LS swap. I come from the C6 world and want the looks of the early C3 but the modern drivetrain of a C6.

Getting into a car that will barely back out of my garage when it is started without waiting 5 minutes is not what I want in a car. To be honest, I wasn't prepared for that. The Fitech is supposed to address that. It will also get rid of the wife bitching about the smell. I kinda like the unburned gas smell but not her.

Last edited by ZAKsPop; 11-06-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If your taking it all apart I would get the block washed and the oil passages cleaned.

That way you know nothing is lurking to cause more damage.
The following users liked this post:
ZAKsPop (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:17 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddawson
If your taking it all apart I would get the block washed and the oil passages cleaned.

That way you know nothing is lurking to cause more damage.
Yes most definitely.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
Not crazy. FiTech fuel injection will help with cold starts, fuel economy, dependability. It is also easily removed. Also once I change the engine I can sell it independently of the engine and recoup some of its cost. I don't think the roller cam will be a selling point for the engine that will demand more money. Also the fuel injection is not engine specific so I will have a larger market to sell it to. So who's crazy?

Also I wasn't planning on doing the FI right now anyhow. It is just the only upgrade I might put into this engine. I suppose I assumed everyone knew what was going on with my car. I got this car last December. It had been sitting up for awhile. The PO cranked it every once in awhile but it sat most of the time. Well, when I bought it I couldn't drive it for a couple months. So this spring after I got it registered and insured I started driving it. It ran well but I guess having someone drive it almost daily and sometimes got into it it broke.

My intention is a future LS swap. I come from the C6 world and want the looks of the early C3 but the modern drivetrain of a C6.

Getting into a car that will barely back out of my garage when it is started without waiting 5 minutes is not what I want in a car. To be honest, I wasn't prepared for that. The Fitech is supposed to address that. It will also get rid of the wife bitching about the smell. I kinda like the unburned gas smell but not her.
Well, I used the because they don't have one for stupid. They have this: , but I'm not with you, HaHa! You won't recoup much of the money spent on the Fitech if you sell it. Why would anyone buy it used, no warranty, when its one of the cheapest systems out there when new?

You're already investing the time and money on your basic overhaul, a retrofit roller cam isn't cheap, but it offers more benefits than a flat tappet, without the potential pitfall of ruined flat tappet lobes.

OK, have fun. If it's not fun, it's not worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Got my engine out and tore dowm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my engine out and tore dowm