C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I replace my heater core----

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I've lived in warm areas most of my life and I have bypassed heater hoses by just re-routing the flow by tying the supply hose to the return hose.
If you can live without heat for testing this is rather easy and maintains the flowpath active such that you can, more or less, do a pretty good evaluation to check where the fluid loss is occurring.

Originally Posted by C3w4sp
You could bypass the heater core buy disconnecting the the hoses and connecting them together. That way you can verify it is indeed leaking and if so, it will stop any additional coolant from getting in the cabin.

In the interim, you wouldn't have heat or defrost but I can't recall the last time I used either.

I replaced mine (75 w ac) it took some effort and patients. At the time (hadent discovered the forum yet) I swore gm started with the core and built the car around it. Just the stuff on this thread would have helped.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Dallasfool
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default heater core

Originally Posted by carriljc

I've lived in warm areas most of my life and I have bypassed heater hoses by just re-routing the flow by tying the supply hose to the return hose.
If you can live without heat for testing this is rather easy and maintains the flowpath active such that you can, more or less, do a pretty good evaluation to check where the fluid loss is occurring.
thanks for your help, that does sound better for now, what size valve do I need to get? both hoses look to be the same size? after watching a you tube video on it (heater core ), it would probably take me a month to do it, while I was replacing my door lock actuator(that wasn't fun), the 300 dollar battery went dead, after I jumped it off, I let my 1980 run for about 30 minutes, then I notice anti-freeze, running on garage floor ,this was on 11/21/17, so on 11/22/17 I jacked up passenger side and looked under it, notice small drip on of them hoses going to heater core, so I started it up, let run again for 30 minutes, turn heat on and off and nothing was leaking? checked again today (11/23/17 with a piece of cardboard I placed underneath the night before, and about an one inch drip on it! I pulled carpet back and its still dry, checked clamps on the hoses they are all tight, one more question, when I place inside control on vent, will it still work? I don't plan on driving the car below 60 degrees or higher than 90 degrees, again I do appreciate every ones help, don't know if I trust my local mechanic shop to replace it, or take it to dealership are they are sponsor for local corvette club, tks! again
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

No need for a valve, just get a PVC or other plastic inside dia nipple / sleeve / connector, and 2 hose clamps. Cut the hoses, connect them to each other, secure it out of the way until you tackle the core replacement.

Last edited by C3w4sp; 11-24-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I would not recommend PVC (I believe it begins distorting at ~140°F ---somebody can check me on that) so just use some metal connector-should be cheap at hardware store. And I agree there is no need for a valve.

Originally Posted by C3w4sp
No need for a valve, just get a PVC or other plastic inside dia nipple / sleeve / connector, and 2 hose clamps. Cut the hoses, connect them to each other, secure it out of the way until you tackle the core replacement.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:46 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

I went and looked it up (I don't like spewing TOO much b.s. ) Here you go, max recommended operating temp is 140°F for PVC.
http://www.heritageplastics.com/tech...ture-pvc-pipe/

Last edited by carriljc; 11-24-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Dorman makes an ABS 5/8"x3/4" connector just for this. About $2.00
Old 11-24-2017, 01:16 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Don't know if the OP finished this HC replacement yet but just wanted to mention I gave up on using the "monkey �� poop" for sealing the A/C boxes and used blue RTV instead. It works.

As for a good heater core I just looked over the replacement at several parts store and bought the one I felt comfortable with. It still had to be tweaked to fit right. I don't think there is an ACDelco replacement anymore.

Good idea once you have the heater core out to replace all the foam seals on the ventilation box under the dash to. I found mine all rotted away and plenty of hot engine compartment air just flowed into the pass compartment all the time.

Hope this isn't too late to help.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Dorman makes an ABS 5/8"x3/4" connector just for this. About $2.00
Correct. Dorman # 47080
5/8 on one end
3/4 on the other.
Coolant temps compatable.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 11-24-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:07 PM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Yikes, my bad on the PVC, yeah, didn't know that. Don't use that.

Quick Reply: Before I replace my heater core----