C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 no elec power in my center gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 PM
zekie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1981 no elec power in my center gauges

Hi all
Went to start the car my key cylinder switch was hard to turn when I got it to crank notice my elec fuel pump and my msd had no power and center console gauges had no power so I replace cylinder switch and ignition switch still no power I ran the msd and fuel pump directly to power car starts but still no power the gauges check all my fuses all r good and notice my acc in my fuse box have no power also

Thanks to all in advance with all of your help
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Did you check your gauges fuse?

Willcox
Old 11-11-2016, 05:53 PM
zekie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Did you check your gauges fuse?

Willcox
Yes I did all the fuses r good just driving me nut because it does crank and start
Old 11-11-2016, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF you have checked the terminal of your GAUGES fuse When the key is ON...and you have 12 volts on one of the terminals when the fuse is OUT...and when you put the fuse in ...you have 12 volts on the otehr terminal of the fuse.

The the only thing I can think of is the connector of your gauge cluster can detached.

IF you have no power at the fuse panel when the key is ON. The it can be the 6 wire connector that GM used to connect your main engine wiring harness to the wiring harness that goes to your starter. This connector is located at the rear of your passenger side valve cover area. They have been known to go bad due the amount of current passing through them.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
zekie (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For any D.C. electrical device to function, it must have +D.C. power getting to that device AND it must have a path to ground. Without either of these, the device will not function. Check both...
zekie (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 11-13-2016, 05:58 PM
zekie
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
IF you have checked the terminal of your GAUGES fuse When the key is ON...and you have 12 volts on one of the terminals when the fuse is OUT...and when you put the fuse in ...you have 12 volts on the otehr terminal of the fuse.

The the only thing I can think of is the connector of your gauge cluster can detached.

IF you have no power at the fuse panel when the key is ON. The it can be the 6 wire connector that GM used to connect your main engine wiring harness to the wiring harness that goes to your starter. This connector is located at the rear of your passenger side valve cover area. They have been known to go bad due the amount of current passing through them.

DUB
Hi Dub
I check the 6 wire connector it's has power so I assume the wire is ok any where else I should check thanks zekie
Old 11-13-2016, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zekie
Hi Dub
I check the 6 wire connector it's has power so I assume the wire is ok any where else I should check thanks zekie
If you checked the wires in the connector i mentioned.

Now I would check and verify that your fuse panel is getting power when the key is on....by checkiung your fuses with a voltmeter If you are getting power on the gauges fuse....then you will need to get into your dash IF the only area you are not getting power is for your gauges.

DUB
zekie (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
zekie
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB

Now I would check and verify that your fuse panel is getting power when the key is on....by checkiung your fuses with a voltmeter If you are getting power on the gauges fuse....then you will need to get into your dash IF the only area you are not getting power is for your gauges.

DUB
thanks i will check but no i also know in the fuse bx acc port there also no power
Old 11-19-2016, 02:02 PM
zekie
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Hi DUB

Was checking the fuse panel all the fuses are fine I'm getting power to the fuse panel on all the fuses but none on my gauge fuse and dir & back-up lamp fuse
I read in one of the post here that behind passager seat compartment there some relay that power the interior but I see 3 which one

Thanks again for all the help everyone is giving me

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 no elec power in my center gauges

Quick Reply: 1981 no elec power in my center gauges