C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: When does a 'Vette go airborne?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Excellent!! 170 anything in the 1/2 mi is moving real good!

Best part of your story was that moment of clarity so to speak of "knowing" when to fold it up and take er home. Live to see another day

Feel bad for all those that have these old cars and only read about what its like getting enjoyment out of them. Youre living.

Last edited by cv67; 11-13-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:08 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Great day Jim!! Good way to keep your heart beating for sure. Love that rush you get from a successful run/race.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:25 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Jim - amazing performance, congratulations. Excellent write-up too.

I was thinking about the numbers. I think you have run over 140 in the quarter, before turbochargers. Now you ran approx. 175 in the 1/2 mile, with turbos. Just approximating here, lets say your 1/4 mile trap speed might now be 155. Lets assume your average speed from 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile point was 165. You cover the second 1/4 mile in 5.45 seconds, at 165 average. But you "only" add 20 mph over that time and distance, 155 to 175. The increase in wind and rolling resistance as speeds increase is brutal.
Glad to hear that you and your car came out unscathed.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

WAY TO GO !!! I'm seriously jealous, I just found out they shut down the Ohio mile. Don't know where to go now. Yes, drag increases exponentially. I try not to laugh when people (mostly kids) tell me the went 165 in their lame street cars.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:41 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Jim - amazing performance, congratulations. Excellent write-up too.

I was thinking about the numbers. I think you have run over 140 in the quarter, before turbochargers. Now you ran approx. 175 in the 1/2 mile, with turbos. Just approximating here, lets say your 1/4 mile trap speed might now be 155. Lets assume your average speed from 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile point was 165. You cover the second 1/4 mile in 5.45 seconds, at 165 average. But you "only" add 20 mph over that time and distance, 155 to 175. The increase in wind and rolling resistance as speeds increase is brutal.
Glad to hear that you and your car came out unscathed.
No doubt it's no where as slippery as the new stuff. Sucker looks like a 4x4 parked amongst the mega-supercars. It IS amazing how fast the new stuff can go out of the box and with some increased boost or N20 it gets crazy,

My next excursion will be to hit the dragstrip again now that I know the engine is happy under load for more than a dyno pass.

The trick with this 1/2 mile stuff on a runway is all about traction/time. My speeds were similar whether I started from a roll or whether I tried to get it moving hard from the start. During the rolling start, I ate up a few hundred feet getting into 2nd gear and then hitting it...but that seemed to help overall traction...plus they had sprayed a lot of VHT in the general area of the "roll start" line. Starting from standing still....I really couldn't apply much power in 1st at all..and then it seemed that when making the shift to 2nd it didn't want to take it anyway. I was well before the "roll start" line and things weren't as sticky...so I was already spinning and trying to get moving before I hit the "roll start" mark.

Either way, I didn't come close to applying full power for the majority of the race. Serious "foot to the floor" stuff didn't happen until I was in 5th gear (1 to 1)...and at that point it was hooking and pulling like a ****. Not sure what I was doing at the 1/4 mile mark....but probably less than what I did in my N/A days since I didn't start hard until a few hundred feet in and I wasn't on true slick to hook it up. It seemed like a long hard pull in 5th. On one run where it was spinning pretty bad in 4th I was well over 7000 RPM before shifting to 5th...the other times I was short shifting to get it lugged down against the boost and so I could get both hands on the wheel.

If I was to do it again, I would probably stick with the "rolling" start and just get into a higher gear earlier. Seems like a lot of the serious bad boys were doing that too. Again, all about traction.

On a longer track, it would be fun to crank up he boost and maybe even run taller tires to get ore traction and see what it could really do!

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 11-15-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I'm looking forward to the quarter mile event for sure.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: When does a 'Vette go airborne?