C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield reveal trim sealant

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Scott Marshall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Windshield reveal trim sealant

What is the recommended sealant that seals the gap between the t-top header trim and the windshield reveal trim?

Scott

Last edited by Scott Marshall; 11-19-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 11-19-2016, 02:41 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

The stainless steel trim should fit flush. Is there sealant behind the trim that is missing? I'd have to look in my AIM. I'm sure its in there. I have 71 vert so on a T-top it may be different.

Last edited by theandies; 11-19-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Scott,
Are you asking about the silver material in the seam between the 2 pieces?
In your photo the reveal molding isn't installed in the 9 clips properly.
The tabs on the molding are in front of the clips instead of behind them. That's what's causing the gap to be so wide.
Are the clips installed properly? (they can be installed backwards), and, were the proper screws used? (too large a head can prevent the tabs from seating in the clips.)
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-19-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree...you molding is not installed correctly.

If you choose not deal with 'drama' that this can involve to correct it...and all you want to do is pump something in the seam.

I would use CR LAURENCE part number CRL 7708.

Keep in mind I DO NOT apply anything in this area...because I have never seen any sealant from the factory. If the moldings are correctly installed and sealed where the factory designed sealant to go...there is not need for sealant across the top. And honestly it is not needed if you look at how the molding and top trim go together. The top molding on the header wraps over the steel frame...thus water can not get in there..And this exposed gap is only allowing water to go down where water is going to get anyway when you wash it or drive it in the rain. But people can do what they want.

Also the product I suggested is black...and it will not harden...because you do not want something in there that gets hard ...because if you have to remove that trim...in some cases...it can get destroyed due to being locked in place. And I write this only becasue I have to fix Corvette windshield frame areas and I have seen about every configuration of crap that someone could use to try to stop a leak that failed.

But once again...of you just want fill it . I know when I worked for Fruehauf Trailers many moons ago. We had silver sealant in a caulking tube that we would use to seal exterior joints and seams that matched the aluminum rather well.

DUB
Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The silver/gray sealant is generally still seen on 68-72 cars which have NOT had their windshields replaced.
It's typically applied between the reveal molding and header trim and also on the a-pillars between the reveal molding and the weatherstrip retainer.
Regards,
Alan

69 Bowtie Convertible

71 Convertible

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-19-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know you would know about the early C3's.

I do apply my black stuff before the exterior top trim goes on. And I mainly focus on the outer header top chrome molding where the screws are used to hold it in place. And when I am done you can not see it.

Running sealant across the entire top molding....I have yet to see that from the factory and I have seen some original cars that still had the LOF windshields in them. But then again....anything is possible...which is why there is a lot variances that can be taken in restoring these Corvettes. Stuff changed and happened on the assembly line when it was needed. Which is an entirely different subject.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield reveal trim sealant

Quick Reply: Windshield reveal trim sealant