C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to? Straighten warped Hard Top Headliner Panels

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default How to? Straighten warped Hard Top Headliner Panels

They stay in place but I have to keep pushing on the plastic clips to keep them in place. I've noticed that the two side panels and the main panel appear warped. I've not taken them off for closer inspection and wanted to get some feedback before messing with them.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:49 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Plastic velcro

Originally Posted by theandies
They stay in place but I have to keep pushing on the plastic clips to keep them in place. I've noticed that the two side panels and the main panel appear warped. I've not taken them off for closer inspection and wanted to get some feedback before messing with them.
If you find out please let me know,that's my next project.the headliner
Seems to be warped, a new one is 600.00 hope I can fingure something out. Maybe a heat gun ? Doesn't seem repairable ,good luck!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:29 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Do you have the elongated J-shaped metal clips that slide into a slot in the headliner and screw to the body of the T-top? I believe there are three of them on each headliner.

I did try to straighten mine out with a heat gun but failed, probably because I wasn't aggressive enough. Regret throwing out my originals which maybe could have been recovered, but they're gone!

Last edited by ignatz; 11-23-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:29 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
Do you have the elongated J-shaped metal clips that slide into a slot in the headliner and screw to the body of the T-top? I believe there are three of them on each headliner.

I did try to straighten mine out with a heat gun but failed, probably because I wasn't aggressive enough. Regret throwing out my originals which maybe could have been recovered, but they're gone!
Apples vs. oranges. Original poster is asking about hardtop--your response is good advice, but for t-tops.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by theandies
If the pads are in great shape and you don't think you'll need to remove them.. super glue gel on the Velcro and they will stay in place. There really isn't a way to re-shape the liner on an original liner, on the reproductions you can heat the back of the ABS and pretty much make them go where you need, then apply a cold rag to "set" them. But on originals the backing is different and it won't work.

But if they are in great shape, put the gel in there... you'll never have to worry about them popping lose again.

Willcox
Old 11-25-2016, 04:46 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If the pads are in great shape and you don't think you'll need to remove them.. super glue gel on the Velcro and they will stay in place. There really isn't a way to re-shape the liner on an original liner, on the reproductions you can heat the back of the ABS and pretty much make them go where you need, then apply a cold rag to "set" them. But on originals the backing is different and it won't work.

But if they are in great shape, put the gel in there... you'll never have to worry about them popping lose again.
I have a t-top liner that droops...apparently my repair job did not take and the metal clips do not want to stick to the liner. Will the super glue gel work for for those?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
I have a t-top liner that droops...apparently my repair job did not take and the metal clips do not want to stick to the liner. Will the super glue gel work for for those?
Hi Tom-

It will work for holding the velcro pads together. Fixing the wafer board pad where the clips are retained is a different subject though. I've used PC7 and another epoxy (I can't remember the name of the other one) on them in the past and had decent luck.

But you have to clean around the clip area with some thinner first, let it dry out and then use the glue. (you have to use a lot of glue around and on top of the clip). I've got a picture somewhere of one we repaired years ago I'll see if I can dig it up and post it for you.

Ernie

Here is the picture I just added to the tech site.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:59 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Hi Tom-

It will work for holding the velcro pads together. Fixing the wafer board pad where the clips are retained is a different subject though. I've used PC7 and another epoxy (I can't remember the name of the other one) on them in the past and had decent luck.

But you have to clean around the clip area with some thinner first, let it dry out and then use the glue. (you have to use a lot of glue around and on top of the clip). I've got a picture somewhere of one we repaired years ago I'll see if I can dig it up and post it for you.
Is this the PC 7...looks like it is two-part and readily available thru Home Depot/Lowe's. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Update

I finally got around to installing my Hardtop yesterday. I have to use is as my son turned 16 and now thinks my daily driver is his (as does my wife but I'm not complaining) and I'll have to take my Vette to work from time to time this winter.

I did try to fix the warped panels but I don't think it's possible. The originals are made of cardboard and it appears that the main panel has some water damage at one point. I tried heat, wetting it (not too wet) and brute force with the plastic clips. I could get the clips to stay but they would only clip for a few minutes before coming loose again.

It's really not that bad (as see in the pictures) I just like everything to be perfect. It was cool to see the markings on the underside.

Markings, the "velcro" clips and the backing material (cardboard).

Where the headliner is warped the most.

Just showing my mounting hardware. I should find shorter bolts for the studs. To keep them from touching the soft-top I put these small foam pads on the nuts.

Maybe this summer I'll come up with a better mounting system other than the "velcro" clips. They hold great but won't hold the warped parts in place. I'm thinking of getting some interior screws and using them where possible.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

If they hold for a few minutes then the super glue gel will hold them. I will say, that while they are very expensive, I installed a new set of pads earlier this year and the fit was perfect... But we still had to use the glue on the two sides.. The velcro is still an area the repro stuff needs work in but I doubt it will ever change.

Willcox
Old 11-27-2016, 11:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Is this the PC 7...looks like it is two-part and readily available thru Home Depot/Lowe's. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
Tom- The stuff in that picture isn't PC-7, I'll have to ask Kevin tomorrow what it is... this was a very old repaired panel and hopefully he'll remember.

Ernie
Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Some two decades ago, when buying my '72 vert, it came with a hardtop, and the liners were grossly warped, what caused it was the silly vinyl had dried out and shrunk, since the backing was some sort of paper/cardboard based stuff, it pulled the shape way in hell outta there, I tried a good bit to fix the 3 pieces, but no go....

I finally pulled the vinyl off and scrapped it, took the paper shells outside and soaked them with water, nice and flexible, left them in shape to dry in the sun a couple daze.....

then bought some nice soft fuzzy black cloth and some thin plastic soft liner material, and glued it all in place with spray adhesive.....lasted over a year up north, and down here in Florida, the hard top hung from the garage ceiling for about 5 years, grew tired of looking at it, sold it.....the guy was shocked in that the paint and interior of it were better than his CAR.....

Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrvette
Some two decades ago, when buying my '72 vert, it came with a hardtop, and the liners were grossly warped, what caused it was the silly vinyl had dried out and shrunk, since the backing was some sort of paper/cardboard based stuff, it pulled the shape way in hell outta there, I tried a good bit to fix the 3 pieces, but no go....

I finally pulled the vinyl off and scrapped it, took the paper shells outside and soaked them with water, nice and flexible, left them in shape to dry in the sun a couple daze.....

then bought some nice soft fuzzy black cloth and some thin plastic soft liner material, and glued it all in place with spray adhesive.....lasted over a year up north, and down here in Florida, the hard top hung from the garage ceiling for about 5 years, grew tired of looking at it, sold it.....the guy was shocked in that the paint and interior of it were better than his CAR.....

Not a bad idea and I actually thought of doing that until I found out how brittle the old vinyl is.

How much did you get for your HT? I'm wondering if it would hurt the value being mine is totally stock.

Willcox - How much different is the finish on the repop liners as compared to the originals. I'm thinking there should be someone who could refinish original panels with new vinyl if they make repops.
Since you're in the parts business maybe you could ask around?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

The issue with refinished panels is the old sub-straight warping. They are impossible to correct so putting new vinyl on on subs isn't a good idea. Plus by the time you spend doing that you could probably pay to just get the new ones.

Willcox
Old 02-28-2018, 09:52 AM
jcnst1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Glue recommendation

Is is there a specific super glue gel recommended that works best with these plastic to plastic adhesions?

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
hunt4cleanair (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I fixed mine,I took a hand saw and cut groves in the headliner
Parallel to the rear window about 1/2 inch apart 2/3 of the way
Through the head liner. Nerve racking but it worked . Along with soaking
The vinyl headliner with conditioner to make it playable. It does work.
Contact cement on the Velcro was not an option to me.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:55 PM
jcnst1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrooke825
I fixed mine,I took a hand saw and cut groves in the headliner
Parallel to the rear window about 1/2 inch apart 2/3 of the way
Through the head liner. Nerve racking but it worked . Along with soaking
The vinyl headliner with conditioner to make it playable. It does work.
Contact cement on the Velcro was not an option to me.
Thanks for sharing. Few questions:

1. Did you cut the back of the headliner through the board material - not the actual vinyl correct?

2. Why horizontal to the back window? Just based on where you were having issues getting the headliner to "stick"?

3. What conditioner did you use?

Get notified of new replies

To How to? Straighten warped Hard Top Headliner Panels

Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The fiber board for ME was fine some 25 years ago.....

the trick was to kill off the vinyl lining, dried out junk....the shrinking of it pulled the cardboard off the shape......

SO to kill the vinyl and prop out the cardboard in the driveway and soak it with water for a day .....let it dry then line it with fuzzy yard good material I chose black with white marks......

it was fine, even here in Florida some 6 years later.....no need for it, so I sold it off.....

the guy who bought it loved it.....in the upper mid west.....

Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jcnst1
Thanks for sharing. Few questions:

1. Did you cut the back of the headliner through the board material - not the actual vinyl correct?

2. Why horizontal to the back window? Just based on where you were having issues getting the headliner to "stick"?

3. What conditioner did you use?
1 not all the way through just enough to get it to bend

2 mine was hanging down all along the glass. This left it go up
And stick.

3. 303,but I think anything like it would work. Heat gun too.
I did have. To use a couple of long Chrome screws on the side
Pieces by the door,looks fine better than 600 plus shipping.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM
JBrooke825
Drifting

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mrvette
The fiber board for ME was fine some 25 years ago.....

the trick was to kill off the vinyl lining, dried out junk....the shrinking of it pulled the cardboard off the shape......

SO to kill the vinyl and prop out the cardboard in the driveway and soak it with water for a day .....let it dry then line it with fuzzy yard good material I chose black with white marks......

it was fine, even here in Florida some 6 years later.....no need for it, so I sold it off.....

the guy who bought it loved it.....in the upper mid west.....

I agree.

Quick Reply: How to? Straighten warped Hard Top Headliner Panels