C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:38 AM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Borgeson leak

Installed a Borgeson steering and a hydro boost brake system. All works well except I have a small leak where the hose attaches on top of the Borgeson box. I've tightened it to the point that I broke one cheap line wrench so I got a better set and tightened it again. However it still leaks. Is there something I can put on the threads or some other trick to stop the leak?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
Installed a Borgeson steering and a hydro boost brake system. All works well except I have a small leak where the hose attaches on top of the Borgeson box. I've tightened it to the point that I broke one cheap line wrench so I got a better set and tightened it again. However it still leaks. Is there something I can put on the threads or some other trick to stop the leak?
If I remember correctly, mine had some small brass bushings to fit against the flare fitting on the hose. Did you install these, and did they seat properly?
here is the pic on Borgeson page http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/image.php?type=P&id=1759
Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM
BLDun
Racer

Pretty sure I did but the only way to make certain, I guess, is to remove the hose and check.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:20 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep. Those bushings need to be there and seated. I made sure they were sitting straight and then took the open end of a 3/8" extension, set it on top of the bushing and gave it a pretty good tap with a hammer. Even after that the fittings had to be reefed down super tight. I've been running it for 3 months without leaks.
You'll get it!
Good luck to you!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 AM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem after installing mine. Even with the brass bushing seated properly I still had a small leak. I ended up using permatex hydraulic sealant. It's expensive, especially since I only needed a few drops, but it did fix the leak. I've been running it a few years now and no leak.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:55 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The reason Borgeson supplies those brass inserts is because the ports in the steering box were designed for this type fitting with an o-ring, not the inverted flare fitting they supply with the kit. If they would supply the correct fitting on the hose, it would work better than the scab type inserts.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Teflon tape worked for me, put a few thousand miles on it that way and not even a drop
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM
BLDun
Racer

I took it apart and found that the small Ferrell was in fact there and seated properly so I put some teflon tape and a small amount of pipe thread dope on it. Tightened it up as much as I could. So far no leaks! Hope it stays that way
Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM
ttoptom1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took it apart and found that the small Ferrell was in fact there and seated properly so I put some teflon tape and a small amount of pipe thread dope on it. Tightened it up as much as I could. So far no leaks! Hope it stays that way
Thanks guys! I noticed when I took mine to storage I had a leak on hi pressure hose. I know sometimes fittings need to be loosened and retightened to seat but if that doesn't work I'll try to teflon tape and also make sure the brass bushings are installed. Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

These adapter fittings should take the place of the brass inserts and cure the leaks.

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...arts/ff01.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-605sol

Last edited by '75; 12-15-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to end up using teflon also, no matter how the brass insert is seated it would still leak on one hose (the one closer to the firewall).
hasn't leaked since doing that but if it does going to look into that fitting above.

Last edited by Ali Vette; 11-29-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

ok so mine starts to leak afer a couple months with the teflon tape or liquid stuff.

has anyone used the above fitting?? or just use the hyrdaulic sealant?

it seems odd to me that Borgeson would include a hose that doesn't go into their steering box properly.. cause they supplied both parts... definitely disappointing after all that work for it to keep leaking, getting tired of this want to find a permanent fix.

Update* I ordered the above fitting from summit, they had it for like $15. if it fixes it that will be awesome, will post an update once I install it.
part number is CLP-605SOL

Last edited by Ali Vette; 12-14-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Two questions

If I may ask; how did you trace this leak?

Secondly: how does your steering feel when cornering during (heavy) breaking?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

in my case you can see a little fluid sitting at the top of the threads on the fitting after a while. and of course there is the small puddle that you find on the floor beneath it.

steering feels great at all times when cornering, the feeling of shooting to one side is completely gone.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:21 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
These adapter fittings should take the place of the brass inserts and cure the leaks.

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...arts/ff01.html

Back order?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

I just ordered from summit they seem to have it in stock, and better price too
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-605sol

getting the old brass ferrule out will be tricky, I had to really tap it in there when I first installed it.
last time I undid the fitting the ferrule did not even budge a little when I tried to take it out to re-seat it.

Last edited by Ali Vette; 12-15-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:26 PM
BLDun
Racer

My leak wasn't hard to trace. As one had already indicated there was a small amount of fluid around the top of the fitting where it screws into the steering box and then a small puddle on the flange just below it and then some that dripped on my header pipe also.

Ali Vette, you are correct about getting the ferrule out. When I redid mine I thought I would just remove it and put another new one in but I could not get it out not matter what I did. I was afraid of damaging the threads so I left it in and used the tape and thread dope.

I'll see how this holds up and if not then I'll opt for the bushings above and figure out how to get the ferrule out.

As for the steering it never has been the dramatic change I was told it would be. However I have also been told that until I rebuild the rear suspension, including trailing arms it will never operate like it should.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson leak

Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

its interesting that you have the same ferrule issue, I am thinking the outer diameter is slightly too large, it never even seemed to fit properly for me. I read about ordering another size ferrule but this adapter piece seems way better.

I'll report back when I figure a way to get the ferrule out, one way or another its coming out... worst case I am thinking I can use one of those reverse extractor bits on it since there is a hole in the middle shouldn't have to drill at all. I find it ridiculous that the kit does not have this simple adapter kit in it, I am sure tons of people have installed it before.

my power steering wasn't ever working before and would dart to the side under breaking, so compared to that its been a huge improvement. I can see the rear suspension playing into it but mine seems in decent shape but I def need new shocks.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

you should not have to tighten the fittings up to where you break a wrench, something is not right there!
Old 12-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Just to update, I used the fitting and hydraulic sealant and all was good for a while, then It started again after a few months. still not sure how it could leak after all that but I am going to take it apart again and have another look. I regret not going with the rack because this leak is really bothering me. not only does it leak on the floor but it leaks right onto the new steering ram thing that comes in the kit and I am afraid its going to wash out the grease and cause issues. I already repacked it with grease once...

Has anyone made a new hose that would work with the o-ring ends. at this point I wouldn't mind running a better hose. for now I am going to open it back up and clean and reseal it and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Borgeson leak