C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first corvette

Old 11-20-2004, 09:18 AM
revRup
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first corvette

hello all. about about 2 months ago i bought my first corvette, a 1977 L-82 with 4 spd manual tranny. it was repainted about 3 years ago so the paint is prety good. the interior is bad but thats not a major problem. the car is basicly unmolested except for aftermarket tape player and there is a battery cutoff switch. i dont have a digital camera so i cant put any pictures of it up. but i realy would like to know what you guys think and any suggestions you might have for me. personaly i dont think its a bad first corvette for an 18 year old. what do u think?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:51 AM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by revRup
hello all. about about 2 months ago i bought my first corvette, a 1977 L-82 with 4 spd manual tranny. it was repainted about 3 years ago so the paint is prety good. the interior is bad but thats not a major problem. the car is basicly unmolested except for aftermarket tape player and there is a battery cutoff switch. i dont have a digital camera so i cant put any pictures of it up. but i realy would like to know what you guys think and any suggestions you might have for me. personaly i dont think its a bad first corvette for an 18 year old. what do u think?

I also have a 77 L82 I installed a ZZ4 crate engine about three years ago. It's a completely different car with the ZZ4 The original engine is sitting on and engine stand in my shop. I have had the 77 since 92 and have basically rebuilt everything on it. I also have a 73 L82 I am restoring still have a ways to go. I love them both and enjoy them immensely. Welcome to the brotherhood and save the wave. I hope you enjoy your 77 as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Boaz99
Intermediate

Default welcome

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the car. You will have a great time with it. I have a 74 convertible (currently in storage) with L48 automatic that I hardly get to drive. 650 mile this year and my 17 year old daughter put most of the miles on it. I have to make a decision this winter to keep or not..

I am new at this game also, there are some guru's on this site that can help with almost anything. Don't be afraid to ask a question.

Good luck with the car.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:43 AM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Congrats on the new car and finding the best forum on the net. Lots of knowledgeable people on here. So any questions you may have, please don't be shy about it.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:45 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome here!!
Sounds like a good project you got there!
Drive it and enjoy and you can work on it alittle at the time
The interior is kinda $$ to fix but you maybe can repair the most of it
and not buy new panels and stuff.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Drousy88
Cruising

Originally Posted by JewliaGoulia
Hey revRup, welcome to the forums. Thought I was one of the youngest Vette enthusiasts here, @ 20. Congrats on the new Vette, and (from what I hear about owning these things, since I don't yet ) You will be addicted to your car! So post pics when you can, and good luck!
i think i have you all beat in the age catagory (im 16) i got my 78' baby three weeks before summer was gone and have been rebuilding it ever since. ive already rebuilt the entire break system with new parts and have rebuilt my entire engine with new parts...all i have lefts is buyin a new set of headers, rebuilding my carburetor, and seeing if my radiator needs to be worked on or replaced. its gonna be a long time before i pay her off but bein emancipated helps.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:51 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, and enjoy your ride! May I suggest that you fix anything wrong with it before you modify stuff that is working? Joe
Old 11-21-2004, 01:45 AM
revRup
Cruising

hey thank you all for the welcome and the input on my car. as for the advise from some of the guru's on here i will definatly be asking questions when it comes out of storage in the spring, but i also am lucky that i am related to corvette historian and "guru" Loren Lundberg (dont know if anybody here has heard of him, he is the owner of the 1960 camoradi team corvette(which is super pimp btw )) plus i think everybody in my extended family is into older cars and most of them have probably owned a vette at one time or another. my father has a 1965 roadster which is amazing. but completely stock. i dont want to modernize mine, but i would like to get more ponies out of her and i want to put side exhaust on her. but your wright about fixing things wrong before tampering w/ things that work.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:24 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by Drousy88
i think i have you all beat in the age catagory (im 16) i got my 78' baby three weeks before summer was gone and have been rebuilding it ever since. ive already rebuilt the entire break system with new parts and have rebuilt my entire engine with new parts...all i have lefts is buyin a new set of headers, rebuilding my carburetor, and seeing if my radiator needs to be worked on or replaced. its gonna be a long time before i pay her off but bein emancipated helps.
I think I even have you beat. I am 15 now and was 13 when I got my '79. Love her to death. I am working on making it into an autocross/drag car, but will still be able to drive her on the street. Good luck with your car. They are tons of fun, but cost a lot.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Clas Lindman
6th Gear

Default Camoradi Corvette

[QUOTE=revRup;1548900495]hey thank you all for the welcome and the input on my car. as for the advise from some of the guru's on here i will definatly be asking questions when it comes out of storage in the spring, but i also am lucky that i am related to corvette historian and "guru" Loren Lundberg (dont know if anybody here has heard of him, he is the owner of the 1960 camoradi team corvette(which is super pimp btw )) plus i think everybody in my extended family is into older cars and most of them have probably owned a vette at one time or another. my father has a 1965 roadster which is amazing. but completely stock. i dont want to modernize mine, but i would like to get more ponies out of her and i want to put side exhaust on her. but your wright about fixing things wrong before tampering w/ things that work.[/QUOTE

Hello,
I see that you are related to Loren Lundberg. I’m conducting research in the Camoradi 1960 Corvette, for a potential magazine article, and would like to get in touch with him. Do you know how to? I can be reached at clas@patinamagazine.com
Thank you.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not going to say when I got my first vette; one to thing add or something to think about. If what you purchase sat for a long time, it means you will face some issues. I say that because of the 70s tech, when left sitting around it will post problems. So, I recommend focusing on the drive train, yes the engine is nice to have one with high HP. What about the trailing arms, the short shaft, the drive shaft, the trans itself and the diff.
I revived a 79 about a year ago with 67K miles, since it needed a new interior, I decided to go through the drive train. it was a good thing I did, the rear bearing had wear, U-Joints were bad, short shaft had play. Not to mention the yoke for this year were know for being half gone.

Don't be in a hurry to get it back on the road or it will cost you even more at the wrong time. Good luck and WELCOME TO THE MADNESS..
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Clas,
Loren is a member of the NCRS…. National Corvette Restorers Society.
He is active on occasion on the Discussion Board that is part of the NCRS web site.
You can contact him through the DB.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
Clas Lindman (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase! We need to get you a camera or smartphone...
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This thread is 13 years old
Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Ha, the op is in 30's, and probably driving a mini van with kids!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Chinaski
This thread is 13 years old

Get notified of new replies

To my first corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my first corvette