C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting rid of electric carb/dist.81 vet

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by prostreeter
forgot to mention when i unplug m/c connecter it dosen.t change anything. bill
When you unplug that, the check engine light should illuminate.

Have you checked the gauge fuse? I believe that is the ECM power source. (Old memory).

Last edited by Big2Bird; 12-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:18 PM
prostreeter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

Originally Posted by DUB
****LONG RELPY****

Bill,

There is no way in knowing if it is in OPEN LOOP or CLOSED LOOP. The O2 sensors is the 'switch' so-to-speak in what makes the ECM go from OPEN LOOP to CLOSED LOOP when it gets hot enough. BUT it can kick out of OPEN LOOP and go back into OPEN LOOP if fuel is dumping into it.....thus cooling down the O2 sensor and make it switch back and forth. And not being able to watch this on a scanner....would be like siting beside glacier and waiting to see it move.

How it is running...better or worse is all a guessing game with you throwing parts at it and hoping for the best....because....IF you can not communicate with the ECM...that is all you are doing. Blindly guessing that something may work.

Do you remember in our conversation when I talked about that customer I had did work at home and replaced LITERALLY every sensor on the 89 Tuned-Port engine. AND it still did not fix his problem UNTIL he brought it to me and I replaced the BOGUS aftermarket ECM in it with A GM one. And the one I recently repaired that is just like yours...no communication.....and I replaced the ECM and chip and that fixed it.

This is not hard to do or fix and get right...because oddly enough I was just like many who may read this. I knew absolutely NOTHING....but now...it is no big deal and there is NOTHING to be afraid of.

And like in our discussion...if you are having someone do this work for you...it will be up to them to TAKE THE TIME and check the wire that I thoroughly explained to you about how I would do it if your Corvette were sitting in my shop. This is so you do not go and put a new ECM and chip in and find out that you had a broken wire like I mentioned CAN HAPPEN.

I do not know what more I can do for you but other than guess....and I really do not like doing that when I know what needs to be done. And this is only from my person experience when working on these Corvettes for my customers. I felt that in our phone conversation I tried to make it clear on what the next step was so you and your tech would not waste time. It is totally up to you on what you choose to do.. Until you decide to check the wire...and find that it is GOOD....then correctly get the ECM/chip installed with a GOOD ECM...I honestly do not know what more I can do. Because IF you can not read data...you know nothing at all to how the ECM is responding to sensor inputs.

Somethings in life are basically set in stone. Kinda like if a person wanted hard boiled eggs. If that person just puts the eggs in water...they will never get hard boiled eggs. They have to boil water. So trying to keep a computer controlled engine running correctly and NOT being able to see what the computer is doing...is as you can probably guess from what i have already stated.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE in this. I will not leave you 'hanging out to dry'. But I can not help you if the steps I advise on are not preformed. the choice is up to you.

DUB
once again i thank you,i do have a buddy who is a mechanic but at his mercy to find time, we still have 5 mo. before snow quits here in the great north. will keep in touch if i need help , thanks,bill
Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by prostreeter
once again i thank you,i do have a buddy who is a mechanic but at his mercy to find time, we still have 5 mo. before snow quits here in the great north. will keep in touch if i need help , thanks,bill

If this thread goes dead due to you not posting and keeping it alive. If you need my thoughts...you will want to PM me if you reactivate it months later....or call me...which is fine also.

DUB
Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
When you unplug that, the check engine light should illuminate.

Have you checked the gauge fuse? I believe that is the ECM power source. (Old memory).
He has no 'check engine' light at all right now...which is beign discussed in another thread he started.

DUB
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

prostreet are you tech savy?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 AM
prostreeter
Instructor

Default tech

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
prostreet are you tech savy?
i,m 78 , give me an old car i,m good .new stuff not so good. bill
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Missed alot of what has been posted up until now.

Like DUB to me it sounds like a problem with your ECM.
But since your engine dies when the m/c solenoid is connected it there must be other problems as well (it must be running lean for this to occur). my guess for these would be vacuum leaks or incorrect carb settings (or both).
Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM
prostreeter
Instructor

Default carb

Originally Posted by Antz81
Missed alot of what has been posted up until now.

Like DUB to me it sounds like a problem with your ECM.
But since your engine dies when the m/c solenoid is connected it there must be other problems as well (it must be running lean for this to occur). my guess for these would be vacuum leaks or incorrect carb settings (or both).
thanks for writing, dub's help with ways to check system but haven,t had time with my mechanic. as I wrote I replaced o2 sensor and everything seems to be working great,but as dub says there probable another thing to be checked.
to all have a great holiday, bill

Quick Reply: getting rid of electric carb/dist.81 vet