C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows 82 Collector rear Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Default Who knows 82 Collector rear Glass?

I have a local guy who is parting an 82 Collector. Needless to say the first part sold was the rear Glass. He sold it by it self with out all the hardware. So besides the Hinge holes whats the difference between a standard Glass and a Collector ? In other words can I just cut the Holes in a standard window ? This is not for a restoration, it will be for a custom car so no need for originality. Since the 78-82 standard Glass is probably the last part sold when a car is parted out I can probably afford to screw up a time or two. I'm sure its probably not this easy and I'm not the first one to think of this.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a friend with a 79 that has the hatch glass on his car.it was an aftermarket thing done by the previous owner. the only thing I can say is I've seen it done before. my recommendation would be consult someone that fabricates windows for custom cars about drilling holes in the glass. I wouldn't rely on your local safelite franchise.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

no idea about the differences but it isn't that hard to drill a hole in glass with the right bit, lots of water, and going very slowly.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Yes, there is a difference.

The hatch (besides the holes) is designed to set on top of the rubber trim and make a seal.

The "hard top" is designed to sit in a channel with a rubber gasket and is slightly longer to accommodate sitting in the deep well of the channel.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 12-13-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I have a local guy who is parting an 82 Collector. Needless to say the first part sold was the rear Glass. He sold it by it self with out all the hardware. So besides the Hinge holes whats the difference between a standard Glass and a Collector ? In other words can I just cut the Holes in a standard window ? This is not for a restoration, it will be for a custom car so no need for originality. Since the 78-82 standard Glass is probably the last part sold when a car is parted out I can probably afford to screw up a time or two. I'm sure its probably not this easy and I'm not the first one to think of this.
Be aware I know of NO supplier for 80-81 rear glass. Used is it. It is one part of the car I am super careful about. Same with the SS rear window trim. Hens teeth.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Yes, there is a difference.

The hatch (besides the holes) is designed to set on top of the rubber trim and make a seal.

The "hard top" is designed to sit in a channel with a rubber gasket and is slightly longer to accommodate sitting in the deep well of the channel.
OK, run out and find somebody willing to let me make a Pattern using there CE rear Glass. Then Drill the Holes for the Hinges and the ones for the Pistons, then cut around the Pattern to shorten and shrink the overall size to fit the CE Weather Strip. So its still not impossible, but I think it is rapidly exceeding my desire to have a window that opens.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:19 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The good news is all 82 corvettes have the bracket for the pull release handle inside the car from what I understand. I never checked mine.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Be aware I know of NO supplier for 80-81 rear glass. Used is it. It is one part of the car I am super careful about. Same with the SS rear window trim. Hens teeth.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/glass...date-code.html

Looks like Ecklers lists the rear glass but is on national backorder....
Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have an original back glass for a Collectors Edition.

But I SERIOUSLY doubt you can drill it due to being tempered glass. It will more than likely shatter into million pieces.

I would like to know the guy parting this CE out..I am interested in all the parts associated with the back glass if there is any way of me being able to contact this person.

If you want a template..I can make one for you if interested.

DUB
Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
I have an original back glass for a Collectors Edition.

But I SERIOUSLY doubt you can drill it due to being tempered glass. It will more than likely shatter into million pieces.

I would like to know the guy parting this CE out..I am interested in all the parts associated with the back glass if there is any way of me being able to contact this person.

If you want a template..I can make one for you if interested.

DUB
Keep in mind that somebody drilled that Glass at the factory, it wasn't molded that way. I sent You a PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Keep in mind that somebody drilled that Glass at the factory, it wasn't molded that way. I sent You a PM.
They cut glass for chopped tops on custom cars as well, several different methods. Sometimes they break while cutting...
Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

One glass is tempered there is no way to cut or drill it. The holes had to be drilled prior to the tempering. The glass that is cut for chopped tops is laminated glass.

Get notified of new replies

To Who knows 82 Collector rear Glass?

Quick Reply: Who knows 82 Collector rear Glass?