C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968-1972 vacuum storage tank repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:15 PM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Not deaf ears here DUB.
I have my vacuum tank sitting on my shelf wondering how I will test (repair if required) and reinstal. Prior to you saying that, I was looking at my master cylinder that I installed saying ##$%^#$, looks like that will have to come out, (AGAIN!!!!), to put in the vacuum tank. At least my machine has no power brakes.
I believe most of us very definitely appreciate your posts!
Thank You,
Pete
Old 12-17-2016, 04:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverL71
Not deaf ears here DUB.
I have my vacuum tank sitting on my shelf wondering how I will test (repair if required) and reinstal. Prior to you saying that, I was looking at my master cylinder that I installed saying ##$%^#$, looks like that will have to come out, (AGAIN!!!!), to put in the vacuum tank. At least my machine has no power brakes.
Thank You,
Pete
Pete,
Testing it is rather easy...in case you were wondering. I used compressed air and soapy water in a pump bottle.

I sealed off all of the ports but one. Taking my pencil blower I have where I can regulate how much air comes out. I had a light stream of air and put it to the open port and looked for bubbles.

Keep in mind I have really good torch skills.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
See 3 (01-17-2018), wp100 (05-01-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 PM
bailys
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torch?

Originally Posted by DUB
Pete,
Testing it is rather easy...in case you were wondering. I used compressed air and soapy water in a pump bottle.

I sealed off all of the ports but one. Taking my pencil blower I have where I can regulate how much air comes out. I had a light stream of air and put it to the open port and looked for bubbles.

Keep in mind I have really good torch skills.

DUB
Hey Dub,great thread! I have three leaking holes in my 69 tank. I'm going to try the silver solder on it. What type of torch did you use?

Update 7/14/18, I used 56% silversolder, Stay-silv black flux, and generic propane torch. Worked like a charm! Holding vacuum nicely. Time for some primer and paint.

Last edited by bailys; 07-14-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: update post
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (06-27-2021)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ha,DUB,that book better include pics by ''ALAN 71'' too

and it should be 5 volumes
1.basics of corvette repair
2.corvette body panel replacement
3.painting
4.reassembly
5.finished car pics [by alan 71]
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverL71
Not deaf ears here DUB.
Thank You,
Pete
I have one that is good sitting on my shelf. It needs a home if you're interested.

Last edited by flyeri; 07-08-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
ha,DUB,that book better include pics by ''ALAN 71'' too

and it should be 5 volumes
1.basics of corvette repair
2.corvette body panel replacement
3.painting
4.reassembly
5.finished car pics [by alan 71]
My problem is that I have already exceeded 5 volumes. And it seems to be a never ending task to try to get things all in place so the book can be understood. This such as advanced electrical up grades and repair.

The problem I am running into is that we all know that not all cars are a 1971 like Alans car is. So having photos for a 1982 or a 1977 need to also be included because I kind of have to break this book up into year designs where things DID change and not group it all into one book that can be as huge as the book of 'War and Peace'.....And with the thousands of photos I have getting them organized takes a lot of time . I do not want to leave anything out if at all possible and make this book be as close to inclusive as possible.. I have photos from start to finish including the phoots during the process.

DUB
Old 07-17-2018, 11:01 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
My problem is that I have already exceeded 5 volumes. And it seems to be a never ending task to try to get things all in place so the book can be understood. This such as advanced electrical up grades and repair.

The problem I am running into is that we all know that not all cars are a 1971 like Alans car is. So having photos for a 1982 or a 1977 need to also be included because I kind of have to break this book up into year designs where things DID change and not group it all into one book that can be as huge as the book of 'War and Peace'.....And with the thousands of photos I have getting them organized takes a lot of time . I do not want to leave anything out if at all possible and make this book be as close to inclusive as possible.. I have photos from start to finish including the phoots during the process.DUB
DUB, have you ever considered starting a YouTube channel? I know the successful ones are making decent money out there, whether it's a side gig for them or not. Even more importantly, there is a big void out there as there are not enough C3 Corvette repair videos to be found. A void that I'm hoping someone (like you) will fill. Those videos are usually interesting to watch whether or not a person needs help with that particular issue. Just a thought.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:37 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Summit and Jegs both carry a pretty basic vacuum canister (~$35) that may even prove easier to R&R than and original one for those not worried about originality.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...iABEgKex_D_BwE

Back in the 70's Ford (and others) installed a sealed, 1 gallon 'tomato can' in their cars as a vacuum reservoir. At that time there were still a lot of vacuum operated windshield wiper systems on the road. By "T-ing" one of these into the vacuum line to the wiper motor, you didn't lose your wipers when stepping on the gas any longer.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
DUB, have you ever considered starting a YouTube channel? I know the successful ones are making decent money out there, whether it's a side gig for them or not. Even more importantly, there is a big void out there as there are not enough C3 Corvette repair videos to be found. A void that I'm hoping someone (like you) will fill. Those videos are usually interesting to watch whether or not a person needs help with that particular issue. Just a thought.
VERY INTERESTING thought.

DUB
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Another option. An electronic book. Publish one volume at a time. Maybe PDF format. Publish it here, or Amazon if you want to go that way. But I still really like the video you-tube channel idea.

Last edited by leigh1322; 07-18-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by leigh1322
Another option. An electronic book. Publish one volume at a time. Maybe PDF format. Publish it here, or Amazon if you want to go that way. But I still really like the video you-tube channel idea.
That has been taken into consideration. But some people still prefer to have a paper book to hold in their hands and flip pages.

DUB
Old 01-06-2023, 05:49 AM
piste
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Book

Appreciate this thread. Any updates on said book?
Old 01-06-2023, 07:25 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Unfortunately Dub passed away a few months ago.

Quick Reply: 1968-1972 vacuum storage tank repair