C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have any exhaust suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Gules
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any exhaust suggestions?

I just bought a 71 that needs some work. The exhaust is way too loud. I thought about side pipes, but the thought of burning my legs is kind of a turnoff. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes: Buy a complete, tuned-length exhaust system in one shot; full length, appropriate diameter (for your application), x-pipe, high-flow mufflers, the whole nine-yards and just get it over with.

If you don't need to worry about emissions, then keep off the cats and don't worry about exhaust gas recirculation and pull the AIR pump off and sell the original manifolds and air pump to someone in California who needs it.

You'll improve fuel economy, heat (if you go with coated headers), sound (the X pipe will dramatically reduce the amount of noise and get rid of drone; the mufflers will determine exactly what sound you get), and performance a LOT -depending upon what you have now.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 12-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gules (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Side pipes will just make things louder; they won't make it quieter.

For a torquey Street build up to 400hp go with 1 5/8" diameter headers (the FlowTech coated headers from Holley fit our C3's perfectly and are very high quality); if you're shooting for more like 500hp or more or are going with a huge cam then go one step bigger on the header diameter.

Adam
Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Gules
I just bought a 71 that needs some work. The exhaust is way too loud. I thought about side pipes, but the thought of burning my legs is kind of a turnoff. Anyone have any suggestions?
Are you wanting new mufflers or complete exhaust system?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Gules
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking I'm better off replacing the whole system.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Gules
I'm thinking I'm better off replacing the whole system.
It really comes down to personal preference, I have pypes violators on my truck and dyno max vts on my vette, neither are loud at idle or cruising at wot the vts become straight pipe and the violoators make noticeable sound.

Pypes offers a kit for your car and they are stainless steel, i dont know it dynomax offers a kit.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:45 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a stock 2 1/2 in on my 71 a little rumble and i can listen to the radio and talk to the wife
Old 12-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Side pipes will be louder. What kind of power are you making. If it is a mild SB than one of the pre bent stock systems will work. If you are pushing 400 or more HP than a custom designed system is the way to go. Mufflers are a matter of preference. What you like someone else may not. Try to listen to other peoples cars and see what you like.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have any exhaust suggestions?

Quick Reply: Anyone have any exhaust suggestions?