C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PB Blaster & Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:53 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts
Default PB Blaster & Fiberglass

Received a response to my question today regarding, PB Blaster Penetrating Solvent affecting Fiberglass from Ted H Smith, /Safety/Quality Control.

He states: There is no concern that the PB will damage fiberglass structurally, but there is a strong possibility that prolonged contact will cause a stain on it.

Hope this helps someone else as it has put my concern to rest.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi cg,
What about it causing a lingering problem with short or long term paint adhesion on fiberglass?
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi cg,
What about it causing a lingering problem with short or long term paint adhesion on fiberglass?
Regards,
Alan
Good question Alan. You can pose that question to:
tsmith@blastercorp.com

Regards,
Brian
Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts

That will contaminate the fiberglass and paint adhesion could definitely be affected. PB Blaster contains petroleum and solvents

Last edited by 69FASTFUN; 12-21-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
That will contaminate the fiberglass and paint adhesion could definitely be affected. PB Blaster contains petroleum and solvents
I suppose you could argue your point with the horses mouth with safety & quality control at Blaster Corp.
Not saying your wrong but I had concerns, which I feel they answered. You can use the product or choose not too.

Last edited by caskiguy; 12-21-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I actually control the amount and where it goes when using any product like PB blaster so I'm not worried about it.

Who's spraying PB Blaster like a spray paint rattle can? Not me. Reduces cleanup time as well. Work smarter not harder.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by caskiguy
I suppose you could argue your point with the horses mouth with safety & quality control at Blaster Corp.
Not saying your wrong but I had concerns, which I feel they answered. You can use the product or choose not too.
I work for an industrial supplier and we sell PB Blaster and we were told not to get it on items that would be painted because there could be an adhesion problem I was just telling you what I had been told.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
I work for an industrial supplier and we sell PB Blaster and we were told not to get it on items that would be painted because there could be an adhesion problem I was just telling you what I had been told.
Fair enough. I'll just state the reason I ran this by a PB rep was for the concern of damaging the fiberglass. It has been mentioned recently in a post and I wanted to get the answer from the company. If accidentally sprayed on an area which will get painted, wiping it off and neutralizing the area with a mild detergent should mitigate the issue I'd think, but I'm not a painter. Your point is well received.
Best,
Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful with solvents and cleaners on fiberglass. What can happen is the solvent will eat through the paint over time and can actually cause delamination with the fibers and resin. Best bet is to keep the abrasive stuff off of the fiberglass.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I believe unfinished fiberglass is porous and will soak up anything that hits it. Once its painted or gel coated, all you have to worry about is the finish.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:29 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ipmtim
I believe unfinished fiberglass is porous and will soak up anything that hits it. Once its painted or gel coated, all you have to worry about is the finish.
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by comments regarding paint being affected or somehow fiberglass that's unpainted being affected, last time I checked the PB Blaster used for rusted bolt, screw removal was used on "rusted screws and bolts". Not sprayed haphazardly without concern.
A statement was made in a post that said it would delaminate fiberglass, it does not. It may, stain paint if left on a finish.
"As always one should be careful with any solution on any surface".

Get notified of new replies

To PB Blaster & Fiberglass

Quick Reply: PB Blaster & Fiberglass