C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Book / Reading List for new C3 Corvette owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Book / Reading List for new C3 Corvette owners?

What are the most valuable resources that you constantly go back to when working on your C3?

Everyone keeps mentioning the AIM, so that seems to be a given.

I'm also looking for a really good "how-to" resource for common tasks; I don't know what's involved in actually performing many tasks and I'd love to have some resources to go to other than just spamming CF for every project I try to undertake.

I definitely need a book that covers the "how to" of a top-end replacement of the engine. I've got my new heads, lifters, RRs, springs, studs, and cam. -But I don't know how to degree the cam or determine when cylinder 1 is at top-dead center, or the order of assembly or what I need to get oil back in the system before I turn it on- how to not completely screw up the distributor adjustment when I take it out/ put it back on. The process and order for torquing down head bolts/studs. -These kind of things are what I most need. (Something that covers the tools required, the process and order and tips and things to avoid.)

Personally, I'm not interested in "restoration", but I know some people are.

What are your top 3 go-to resources you keep returning to over and over again as the years pass?

Adam
Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Mine,...

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
What are the most valuable resources that you constantly go back to when working on your C3?

Everyone keeps mentioning the AIM, so that seems to be a given.

I'm also looking for a really good "how-to" resource for common tasks; I don't know what's involved in actually performing many tasks and I'd love to have some resources to go to other than just spamming CF for every project I try to undertake.

I definitely need a book that covers the "how to" of a top-end replacement of the engine. I've got my new heads, lifters, RRs, springs, studs, and cam. -But I don't know how to degree the cam or determine when cylinder 1 is at top-dead center, or the order of assembly or what I need to get oil back in the system before I turn it on- how to not completely screw up the distributor adjustment when I take it out/ put it back on. The process and order for torquing down head bolts/studs. -These kind of things are what I most need. (Something that covers the tools required, the process and order and tips and things to avoid.)

Personally, I'm not interested in "restoration", but I know some people are.

What are your top 3 go-to resources you keep returning to over and over again as the years pass?

Adam
Mine:
Assembly Instruction Manual (as you said)
Haynes (and the motor books/SA books for engine rebuilds)
Chevrolet Service Manual for your year
And a couple more, & likely the best: this forum and google internet search for your area of interest

IMHO, there is so much great resource "how to" stuff on the internet it is unbelievable (guess you have to be an old fogy to appreciate it )

Have fun!!

Last edited by 20mercury; 12-22-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:37 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The the AIM and the internet, you can learn to do pretty much anything on the C3.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

The aim will show you part #s and exploded diagrams.

The dealers shop manual for your year will tell you how to do it.

If you want a #3, look for a copy of the GM Power Performance book.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/

&

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...performance-3/
The following users liked this post:
SciVette (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

World Wide Web!!!

Wish it had existed back in the day.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:24 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
The dealers shop manual for your year will tell you how to do it.
The shop manual was more valuable to me than the AIM.

Just Sayn...
Old 12-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I find it surprising how may folks appear not to have an owner's manual or having never taken the time to read through it if they have one.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy

Adam
1) A.I.M.

2) GM service manual

3) Internet

Old 12-23-2016, 10:23 AM
rberman999
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've found the Chevrolet Corvette parts manual very handy to also have. Mine is both sections, the parts manual (part numbers) and the exploded diagrams. I picked it up on eBay cheap (~$25 with shipping). That would be the dealership parts manual.

Last edited by rberman999; 12-23-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:21 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Top end replacement ? Hmm. It depends on what parts you install. For degreeing the cam most cam mfr's cover than on their w/s and tech tips. I know Comp does and I think Crane does to - Isky maybe.

Pushrod length? Modest lift cam I use just a p-rod length checking tool. Big lift cams gonna take complicated procedures and special tools. End game is with the rocker arm at 90 degrees to valve stem at 50% lift. And rocker tip contact patch is over valve stem center.

Valve guide seals installation is mostly mfr instructions but sometimes you have search the internet. Never read this in any assembly books that I recall.

Gaskets and seals always follow mfr instructions. Helps to reference the service manual but mfr may have specifics for their products.

General assembly of big parts? Service manual, D Vizard how to's, John Beachtel, Jim Richardson. Even Chevy performance manual is helpful.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cardo0; 12-23-2016 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 PM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on task but for me a good manual is first, then internet where it will be the MFG website for instructions, tech tips etc. Then forums such as this or people I know personally who are proficient in the area I am needing information. I have the AIM and do use it every now and then. I think it or a good document showing exploded view is a must. One day you WILL need it. Having a friend or trusted go to expert is crazy helpful. I spent time developing friendships with a body/paint shop guys and can now do a pretty decent job. Same is true for twisting wrenches.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

In priority order, these are what you NEED:

1) Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual; this is an absolute necessity if you are going to work on your car.

2) Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your model year; depicts all of the final assembly actions on the vehicle with drawings.

3) Chevrolet Chassis Overhaul Manual: no longer in print, but can be found on eBay, etc.; this details how to disassemble, test, and rebuild nearly all of the complex components in your car. If you are going to do any 'deep dives' into engine, trans, starter, alternator, differential, power steering, power brakes, A/C, this is the book you need.

4) Owner's Manual; it has basic operating instructions and maintenance info....and it's just nice to have one.

5) Corvette Black Book; this little book has all the production info on every Corvette model year: options, colors (int/ext); VIN range; engine codes, etc, etc. It's a nice little book to have for reference info.

836) the Chilton's manual; very basic maintenance stuff; useless, unless this is the ONLY book you have.

837) the Haynes manual; absolute waste if you have those listed above.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 12-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I like the comprhensive list given by 7T1vette.

In addition to those may I recommend this book. I think it's an excellent addition to a Corvette library. It helped me work out and understand the shortcomings of the ac system.

Last edited by Street Rat; 12-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Book / Reading List for new C3 Corvette owners?

Quick Reply: Book / Reading List for new C3 Corvette owners?