C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 alarm relay removal, put fuel pump relay in its place?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 74 alarm relay removal, put fuel pump relay in its place?

I'm waffling on where in the jack compartment to put the fuel pump relay, Ford Taurus intertia switch, circuit breaker. It's these details that I probably put far too much time into; however I'm trying to avoid having to do it over.

So: in my '74 coupe, in the jack compartment behind the passenger seat, is a flasher and relay looking thing. A google search and AIM say its for the stock alarm system. I've removed the key for the alarm (long story for another post...involves front wheel coming off and replacing fender). I'm also removing the alarm horn tucked up where antenae is. I plan to "fold the wires back" and tape them up, as the saying goes.

In it's place i'd like to put electric fuel pump relay, mostly because if I put it there, even thought the angle stinks to work in the installation, I will still be able to put the insert/basket thing back in the compartment without hitting anything. The only design flaw i see here is if somehow i hit a big bump and the inertia switch is triggered off, i have to lift the basket out to reset it. It might make more sense to just mount the inertia switch on the rear wall of the compartment instead of front. If i do that, i can't put the basket-thing back in the compartment. I'm not putting the spare tire back in, so I really don't need the jack. Triple AAA is for that. :-)

What have you done, what would you do?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I think I found the answer in this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3815072-auxiliary-fuse-block-install-in-74-a.html

Quick Reply: 74 alarm relay removal, put fuel pump relay in its place?