C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness identification help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring harness identification help

Good evening everyone! I have been working on a 1968 convertible that I bought in pieces for about a year now. I am about to start engine and transmission installation but wanted to get the wiring harness situation sorted out first.

Could someone help me identify the wiring harnesses in the pictures below? One has the fuse box (so I assume would be the main) and one is labeled "1968 rear".

This is one of those situation where I feel like I am in over my head. Are these all the wiring harnesses that go in a 1968 and should they be installed before the engine is put back into the car?

Also since this is a total restoration would it be in my best interest to purchase new harnesses instead of using the ones that came with the car? Not money I planned to spend but if it saves hours of work down the road...
Attached Images   
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Brian,

So much depends on if you plan in doing a THOROUGH inspection of these harnessed to MAKE SURE that they are OK. I have customers who bring me in harnesses like this and I tell them that THEY need to do the inspection...and this is because by the time I check it all out...the costs would exceed the cost of some of the harnesses.

With that said...you time is 'free' so-to-speak. AND if you have an ohmmeter and a wiring diagram.....it can be done.

If the vinyl wire insulation is able to be bent and it cracks...then get a new harness.

If you are doing a restoration and want the harnesses to look good....then it is up to you if it is worth your time to clean them up or buy a roll or two of the special wire harness non-stick tape and re-wrap them.

Check your fiber optics and make sure they work if you want them to work.

And often times the only major difference in the new wiring harnesses versus a facotry one is that some of the wires on a facotry harness have a colored stripe on them that matches the wiring diagram...and the aftermarket harnesses may not have this stripe on the wire. So it depends if you are worried about what 'others' may think.

Also you want to make sure that all terminals that mate with each other have a good grip to them when they are joined....and the terminals that hold your fuses are CLEAN as a whistle so you do not have any issues in the future.

DUB
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 AM
vettz73
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Mathews
Could someone help me identify the wiring harnesses in the pictures below? One has the fuse box (so I assume would be the main) and one is labeled "1968 rear".
Dub has good advice that you should follow.

To answer your question concerning the wire harnesses in your pictures:

Top picture: The wire to the right of the fuse block goes under the dash while the wires on the left of the fuse block is installed in the engine compartment. The fuse block can be separated and is installed on the firewall.

Bottom picture: The wire to the right of the large grommet is the rear lamp harness. The grommet is installed through the front of the rear wheel well behind the driver. The connector on the wire to the left of that grommet runs to a connector from the fuse box by the driver kick panel. The wires that has remnants of the under carpet matting run along the back wall behind .the seats.

The AIM will show you the routes for proper harness installation.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Mathews (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

In your pic, fuse block and associated wire bundle is the dash main harness. It mounts inside the car and has to be routed correctly or it will affect the fit of the dash.

Top center harness is the engine harness. It mounts under the hood.

Bundle on the left is the forward lamp harness. It mounts under the hood.

These two plug together, then plug into the engine compartment side of the fuse block and are held in place with a bolt.

Rear harness is labeled.

The AIM helps. It shows the factory installation of the various harnesses.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Brian Mathews
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies and information. Just what I needed. You confirmed what I was thinking after looking at some pictures and manuals. Time to start carefully checking conditions and decided if I have to spend more money!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 AM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you decide to replace your wiring harness's,look up Lectric Limited brand,their products have correct connectors and color coding and they fit.I have installed these front to back complete,quality is A/plus.
On a side note,if you are on the fence about replacement it is a lot easier now then when the car is completed.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Another vote for Lectric limited. I replaced all the wire harnesses on my 68 and can attest to the quality of their product. They come with excellent diagrams and aren't difficult to install.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You might think I am CRAZY...but I would NOT throw away the harnesses you have. They can be bagged up and would not take up that much space...you might find that...they might have a use in the future. And I know you might ask"...."If I am getting new harnesses why do I need to save these harnesses?" Because wiring harnesses with the correct connectors are PRICELESS when you need it. AND that is coming from someone who has many old harnesses and I pick through them all the time when I need that specific connector.

If not...then sell them to someone who could use them if you feel you do not the need to keep these old harnesses.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-12-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I also bought Electric Limited wiring harness, bought thru WILLCOX parts/

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring harness identification help

Quick Reply: Wiring harness identification help