C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can front diff mount be removed with suspension loaded?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Can front diff mount be removed with suspension loaded?

I'm getting ready to do an in-car pinion seal replacement and it looks like time well spent to remove the front diff mount to gain better access. I plan to do this on my 4 post lift with the weight of the car on it's wheels. Can you remove the front diff mount with the suspension fully loaded or will the diff rotate up and possibly tweak the crossmember? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil B
I'm getting ready to do an in-car pinion seal replacement and it looks like time well spent to remove the front diff mount to gain better access. I plan to do this on my 4 post lift with the weight of the car on it's wheels. Can you remove the front diff mount with the suspension fully loaded or will the diff rotate up and possibly tweak the crossmember? Thanks.
I just did this on my 69 about 2 weeks ago. No problem whatsoever. Just make sure the car is out of gear with the wheels blocked so there is no pressure on anything and it doesn't move when you unbolt the driveshaft. The diff will not rotate at all.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I just did this on my 69 about 2 weeks ago. No problem whatsoever. Just make sure the car is out of gear with the wheels blocked so there is no pressure on anything and it doesn't move when you unbolt the driveshaft. The diff will not rotate at all.
Thanks. If you had to do it again, would you remove the front mount to get better access to the yoke and seal or try to work around it? I've only done this on live axle cars with lots of room in that area.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Why not just take a few minutes ahead of time and jack up the frame at the rear (just ahead of the wheel wells), and put some wood blocks there to take the weight (and twisting force) off the rear spring?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
I would not.
It seems like the load would be on the crossmember, but I do agree that the crossmember is slightly behind the axle plane.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:47 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Thanks. If you had to do it again, would you remove the front mount to get better access to the yoke and seal or try to work around it? I've only done this on live axle cars with lots of room in that area.
I was removing the driveshaft for balancing and u joints but the front diff mount should be removed. It is only a 10 min job and gives you easy access to everything. Check your rubber mount cushions for wear at the same time and don't forget a couple of new cotter pins for the 2 horizontal bolts.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69427
Why not just take a few minutes ahead of time and jack up the frame at the rear (just ahead of the wheel wells), and put some wood blocks there to take the weight (and twisting force) off the rear spring?
I'm on a 4 post lift with no good way to jack the rear and place jack stands. I really don't want to do this job off the lift if I can help it. I do have pole jacks but that seems like a Darwin award winning move.

Last edited by Neil B; 01-13-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

I'm on a 4 post lift with no good way to jack the rear and place jack stands. I really don't want to do this job off the lift if I can help it. I do have pole jacks but that seems like a Darwin award winning move.
I currently have my '69 on my four post lift, on a couple 4x4s on the rear frame corners, and have the rear end out of the car for some repairs.

Did your C3 come without a scissor jack, cuz they're incredibly handy for lifting a Corvette up by the frame.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69427
I currently have my '69 on my four post lift, on a couple 4x4s on the rear frame corners, and have the rear end out of the car for some repairs.

Did your C3 come without a scissor jack, cuz they're incredibly handy for lifting a Corvette up by the frame.
You have to block it up anyway to keep it from moving or rolling on your hoist when you disconnect the driveshaft so a couple of blocks at the rear frame pockets is a very good idea.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
You have to block it up anyway to keep it from moving or rolling on your hoist when you disconnect the driveshaft so a couple of blocks at the rear frame pockets is a very good idea.
On my Camaro, when I remove the driveshaft, I chock the wheels and set the parking brake. For the Corvette, I'm gonna take another look at how the frame aligns with the lift to see if I can get some jack stands under it.

Last edited by Neil B; 01-13-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

On my Camaro, when I remove the driveshaft, I chock the wheels and set the parking brake. For the Corvette, I'm gonna take another look at how the frame aligns with the lift to see if I can get some jack stands stands under it.
The frame pockets just in front of the rear wheels line up with the tires so if the tires are on the lift, jack stands will fit no problem too.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Contributor

On my Camaro, when I remove the driveshaft, I chock the wheels and set the parking brake. For the Corvette, I'm gonna take another look at how the frame aligns with the lift to see if I can get some jack stands stands under it.
Your car, your labor, but you don't have to lift the car up as far if you use wooden blocks, and the stability and movement friction of the blocks are going to make the car more stable than taller jack stands.

But, your call.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I did it on my car, on jack stands, no problems.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Thanks for talking me through it. Worked like a charm...

Old 01-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for talking me through it. Worked like a charm...

How can you work in such dirty conditions?

Just looks like a good excuse for some gratuitous photos of an unfeasibly clean Corvette underside and garage to me. I'm soooo envious!

Get notified of new replies

To Can front diff mount be removed with suspension loaded?

Quick Reply: Can front diff mount be removed with suspension loaded?