C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Transmission Removal

Has anyone replaced a clutch in a 79 Corvette with a completely original exhaust, this car has a Borg Warner Super T10. I know the exhaust is in the way on the true dual exhaust cars, my question is will this transmission come out with out moving the exhaust and has any one did this? Thanks in advance, AL.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Transmission Removal Question

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
Has anyone replaced a clutch in a 79 Corvette with a completely original exhaust, this car has a Borg Warner Super T10. I know the exhaust is in the way on the true dual exhaust cars, my question is will this transmission come out with out moving the exhaust and has any one did this? Thanks in advance, AL.
Really! no one???
Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Really! no one???
The most produced Corvette made and no replies to this thread? Is this post being posted?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I don't know the answer, but I would be surprised if the original exhaust is in the way. Someone with first hand experience will chime in soon!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:54 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

For what its worth, I've pulled the automatic trans out of my 77 a few times. That required removing the trans crossmember which required dropping the exhaust. I have headers so that wasn't too bad. I don't think you can get a manual trans out without dropping the crossmember either.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
For what its worth, I've pulled the automatic trans out of my 77 a few times. That required removing the trans crossmember which required dropping the exhaust. I have headers so that wasn't too bad. I don't think you can get a manual trans out without dropping the crossmember either.
The crossmember is not removable on cars that originally came with a manual transmission. (I currently own a 79 with a 4 speed and a 75 with an automatic.)

As for if the exhaust is in the way, I'm not sure.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 79 4 speed vette without the original exhaust. My crossmember is welded in. When I remove my transmission I have to first remove the shifter and all linkage, the little mount bolted to the crossmember and all bolts, cables, etc all. Push the tranny as far back as you can and the front input shaft will just clear the bell housing and you can drop the front down and the tranny will slip right out. Installation is the reverse.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
IDOXLR8 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 74 4 speed car, and assume that your set up is the same or very similar to what mine was. I suspect that as someone else mentioned, your crossmember is not removable, the same as earlier years.

If you've been considering side pipes, and a hurst shifter, now is the time.
I can't imagine any way that the trans can come out without disturbing the exhaust.

You are going to drop the exhaust, enjoy disconnecting the factory shifter from the crossmember [if someone hasn't already done you the favor of putting in a Hurst], and then pulling the unit back, rotating it, getting the input shaft to angle towards the passenger side, and then maneuver it out.

Do yourself a HUGE favor, and cut the crossmember out of the car, and have mounting tabs welded on.

I did my clutch back in 2010, and recently swapped in a Richmond Overdrive... this time I cut the crossmember out.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 259 Likes on 207 Posts

i understand your issue.. original exhaust means that the manifold studs WILL break when you try to remove the exhaust.
When I have removed a corvette transmission 4 speed, everything was removed and up out of the way.. makes the removal/reinstall an easy one man operation..
... so, I don't know your answer so I whipped out my '70 chassis service manual.
It says to remove the right and left exhaust pipes....
not sure if the same procedure for applies to your 79. I expect it does.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rebel542
I have a 79 4 speed vette without the original exhaust. My crossmember is welded in. When I remove my transmission I have to first remove the shifter and all linkage, the little mount bolted to the crossmember and all bolts, cables, etc all. Push the tranny as far back as you can and the front input shaft will just clear the bell housing and you can drop the front down and the tranny will slip right out. Installation is the reverse.
Hope this helps.
Helps? Greatly! So in short you were able to remove the Borg Warner Super T10 with out removing the exhaust? I read the Super T10 is a bit longer then the Muncie. As I posted the car still has the factory Cat on it with muffler deletes pipes. I took the center console out and ready when the new clutch comes in, some one told me GM used all large clutches in 79, not sure, thanks, AL.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:40 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

You might be able to fish it out in pieces. Unbolt the shifter and separate the trans from the bellhousing. I had a similar problem with a GMC truck and I cut the pipes about a foot down from the manifolds. I used stainless steel band clamps to resecure the pipes. You can also get a competent welder to weld them in place.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:34 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hugie82
You might be able to fish it out in pieces. Unbolt the shifter and separate the trans from the bellhousing. I had a similar problem with a GMC truck and I cut the pipes about a foot down from the manifolds. I used stainless steel band clamps to resecure the pipes. You can also get a competent welder to weld them in place.
Did not get any real direction on this one so for anyone removing a Borg Warner super T10 from a 79 Corvette it can be removed with out disturbing the the factory exhaust system.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Did not get any real direction on this one so for anyone removing a Borg Warner super T10 from a 79 Corvette it can be removed with out disturbing the the factory exhaust system.
Thanks to all on this one! Exhaust was not even a issue!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by rebel542
Hope this helps.
From my experience, if you don't do it this way, you'll have nothing but grief. Some recommend rotating the tranny and it will come out. Well, that doesn't work on my '76 and probably won't on a '79. I can't speak to your exhaust pipes. I have sidepipes and this alleviates alot of undercar headaches.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:13 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Glad to hear it. Did it really take six months to change a clutch?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Free Corvette

Originally Posted by drwet
Glad to hear it. Did it really take six months to change a clutch?
LOL No, have a Day job, to kids that have cars wife's ride home repairs, Work on the 79 when I have the patients
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by resdoggie
From my experience, if you don't do it this way, you'll have nothing but grief. Some recommend rotating the tranny and it will come out. Well, that doesn't work on my '76 and probably won't on a '79. I can't speak to your exhaust pipes. I have sidepipes and this alleviates alot of undercar headaches.
Rotating the transmission is the only way it will come out, the service manual shows this.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Removal

Old 11-06-2017, 11:48 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Maybe I was rotating mine the wrong way because it didn't work for me. It literally fell out when using the method described. It also slipped right back in when using two guide bolts.

Last edited by resdoggie; 11-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:48 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Maybe I was rotating mine the wrong way because it didn't work for me. It literally fell out when using the method described. It also slipped right back in when using two guide bolts.
The tail shaft is off set, and when rotating it clockwise allows the tail shaft to go back more into the tunnel.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:55 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Mine didn't. It was catching up on the shifter bracket. So, I removed all that stuff. I'm not the only one who has run into this problem. That said, doing this alone under the car on 18" jacks at 62 yrs old maybe a contributing factor.

Last edited by resdoggie; 11-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Removal