C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will aftermarket chip allow bigger cam in 82 CFI?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Will aftermarket chip allow bigger cam in 82 CFI?

Not talking BB solid rollers, but cams in the 110-112 centerline and sub 220 durations ?

Like the CompCams XFI series or Lunati 60101?

Intake already ported or Renegade installed.

Last edited by Fast81; 01-27-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Years ago, I was working on a Camaro the owner had stuffed a way too big of a cam in. I called around and found someone that could custom burn a PROM based on the desired base and total timing and the engine idle vacuum. That car went from a PITA to drive to a beast- with a decent idle.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast81
Not talking BB solid rollers, but cams in the 110-112 centerline and sub 220 durations ?

Like the CompCams XFI series or Lunati 60100 ?
The problem with the 82 CFI is that the manifold runners are VERY restrictive. You may get something from the cam change and custom prom BUT, physically you can't get enough air into the cylinders to get kind of power that would justify the work and expense of the change.

FYI, I started with a TPI unit changing EVERYTHING (from comp ratio to heads to manifold, runners plenum, throttle body, cam, custom chip, headers & exhaust) before it got to where I was satisfied.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotonda
The problem with the 82 CFI is that the manifold runners are VERY restrictive. You may get something from the cam change and custom prom BUT, physically you can't get enough air into the cylinders to get kind of power that would justify the work and expense of the change.
True, but an outfit called 'Eddie Motorsports' has recently released a "high performance" version of the CrossFire manifold, just for this type of application. They're listed in the Summit Racing catalog.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

If your talking the Jet Performance chip, then no. Due to EPA regulations, it only changes the WOT settings. The smog settings remain the same.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:37 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Even with a different intake the throttle bodies become a restriction. Your spending alot to keep something that isnt what it was . I know people think they look cool but you dont drive with your hood open.
Id suggest doing what a friend of mine.did, he polished his crossfire intake then put it on the shelf so people that didnt know better thought it was some experimental part.
​​​​​
Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
Even with a different intake the throttle bodies become a restriction. Your spending alot to keep something that isnt what it was . I know people think they look cool but you dont drive with your hood open.
Id suggest doing what a friend of mine.did, he polished his crossfire intake then put it on the shelf so people that didnt know better thought it was some experimental part.
​​​​​

Eddie Motorsports Renegade Crossfire intake manifolds have been specially-developed for vehicles equipped with the dual throttle body GM Crossfire fuel injection. They're the only true OEM/high performance manifolds produced for these engines. Manufactured in the USA, their advanced runner profile design, increased plenum area, and flow enhancements provide improved power, torque, and gas mileage. The Eddie Motorsports Renegade Crossfire intake manifolds will accommodate modified throttle bodies up to 2 1/4 in. bore and accept all of the stock accessories and brackets--as well as EGR, PCV, and stock vacuum fittings. They will also fit under the stock hood of all Crossfire equipped vehicles with no modifications necessary. These manifolds include stainless steel fasteners for the top plate, throttle body base gaskets, and air horn gaskets.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast81

Like the CompCams XFI series or Lunati 60101?

Intake already ported or Renegade installed.

I recall Comp Cams has a special category for EFI friendly cams. Other mfr's have them to. Did you look?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You will WASTE YOUR MONEY on a cam without changing the intake manifold.

Don't worry about the computer as you will adjust the timing and fuel pressure independently and your computer will then adjust.

Get yourself a Renegede manifold and pop in your cam. You will run well.

Hit up Buccaneer on the CF and he will steer you straight.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd upgrade to a better ECM that you can actually program so you get the most gains from any engine modifications you do. Use a early TBI computer with an emulator so you can do real time tuning or use an early TBI computer modified with a dynamic-EFI upgrade so you can flash program it. The earlier TBI computers like the '7747 can easily be programmed and will swap in and pretty much all the wiring is in place you just have to change the connectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Will aftermarket chip allow bigger cam in 82 CFI?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will aftermarket chip allow bigger cam in 82 CFI?