C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV valve in passenger side valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Whether the breather for the PCV is open or a tube going to the air filter housing is of no difference......it is doing the exact same thing......

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
Omegaspeedy (03-07-2024)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

How much pressure is in the crankcase with a pcv system or without? Its a positive crankcase ventilation system rather than a pressure control valve. I use two breather caps. No crankcase pressure because the blow by escapes through the breather caps and can't build pressure. No oil leaking past gaskets and seals. No oil mist all over the engine either. The filter media in the breather cap and valve cover baffles prevent that. I only drive the car a few thousand miles a year and change the oil once a year so I'm not to concerned with contaminants in the oil eating away at engine components. Also, I don't have to worry about oil mist carry over into my intake. Running an engine without a pcv system is not doom, gloom and messy engine bay. And it doesn't matter which side the pcv valve is installed as long as their is a supply of fresh air through a breather of some sort.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Vogast
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Could a wrong PCV valve be a reason for my high oil consumption? Everytime I step on the gas my oil seems to vanish. Today I checked and the markings on the PCV says 774C which is SB 74-88 PCV valve. https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...alve-774c.aspx. The setup of my engine is supposed to be close to 470 HP (not verified though), isn't the valve pulling oil at WOT?

Last edited by Vogast; 05-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogast
Could a wrong PCV valve be a reason for my high oil consumption? Everytime I step on the gas my oil seems to vanish. Today I checked and the markings on the PCV says 774C which is SB 74-88 PCV valve. https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...alve-774c.aspx. The setup of my engine is supposed to be close to 470 HP (not verified though), isn't the valve pulling oil at WOT?
Probably not due to the wrong valve, but possibly due to ineffective baffling in line before the valve. You should do an experiment with some clear tubing to temporarily replace the line between the valve and the manifold. Create a low spot that will act as a reservoir, and take it for a spin. Drive gently for a short distance. If you see oil pooling in the low spot, you're sucking too much oil out and you either need to improve the baffling or install a catch can to keep the oil out of the intake. If there is no oil visible, try a couple of WOT runs and check again.

On the other hand, if there is no oil pooling in the low spot at all then you can turn your attention elsewhere.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Vogast: your profile says you have a 69 350/350 but you say 470 HP which means it's modified. The high performance PCV valve for that time period is 746C. Not saying that will solve your problem.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
You can put the PCV valve on the passenger side.
NO... you can, but it will not work properly.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi DS,
On occasion I've read that the direction the crankshaft rotates may determine which valve cover the PCV valve should be in but there doesn't seem to be anything to actually back that up.
Having the proper valve and having it be properly baffled appears more important.
Regards,
Alan

This^^^ the rotating assembly while turning will create a small vacuum on one side and positive pressure on the other,,, cars that run 2 breathers on each side usually notice more oil on the drivers side due to the nature of the vacuum being created by the assembly turning.

Originally Posted by Silvertone
Probably not due to the wrong valve, but possibly due to ineffective baffling in line before the valve. You should do an experiment with some clear tubing to temporarily replace the line between the valve and the manifold. Create a low spot that will act as a reservoir, and take it for a spin. Drive gently for a short distance. If you see oil pooling in the low spot, you're sucking too much oil out and you either need to improve the baffling or install a catch can to keep the oil out of the intake. If there is no oil visible, try a couple of WOT runs and check again.

On the other hand, if there is no oil pooling in the low spot at all then you can turn your attention elsewhere.
This^^^^^^ is also a major problem... this will fix a lot of problems.

Last edited by pauldana; 05-25-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Whether the breather for the PCV is open or a tube going to the air filter housing is of no difference......it is doing the exact same thing......

Jebby
Except under WOT, there is no low pressure, and the blow by exits via the air filer housing, thus still being burned.
Also why there is a baffle on both valve covers.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 05-25-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV valve in passenger side valve cover