C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing Rod Bolts??

Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fxd
The engine shops here say that when a rod bolt is installed it is a a slight interference fit in the bolt hole which likely will slightly distort the big end hole. When rod bolts are installed they are torqued to 95% and the big end hole is re-sized. They are adamant on this. Race engine guys believe that rod bolts can only be re-torqued 2-3 times before changing bolts and re-sizing. High end guys measure bolt stretch instead of torquing. I believe that if you have removed a bolt, you will need to resize that hole after re-installing the bolt. It looks to me like you have high end bolts and would have just re- installed them. But if they have been disturbed I would buy new bolts and have the big ends re-sized. For peace of mind you you should call ARP tech line and have a conversation. Let us know what you find out, it has been many years since I dealt with this stuff.
Great point, I had forgotten about that...it's an important thing to have forgotten too.

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
For many years I conducted engineering environmental stress testing on military gun and missile systems. Standard procedure was to torque any fastener one time, if removed, throw it away and replace with a new one. Even in our test hardware. A fasteners torque specification is rated by the fasteners material, diameter, length and thread pitch. The torque specs are the maximum torque that can be applied to the fastener before the material yields or breaks. If you go to home depot and buy a 1/2" grade 5 bolt used for assembling a work bench you can twist them with a 3/8" drive socket, while a 1/2" grade 10 bolt can be torqued to 180-200 ft. lbs. of torque without it yielding. If you cannot verify your rod bolts material and look up the torque specification on a chart, (or specified in an assembly instruction sheet) don't use them, let alone re-use them. Even though they may appear to be in perfect condition to your naked eye, they may have been yielded and may fail. I would never reuse any fastener that has been torqued. An easy test is, if you have a good dye set, you can thread the fastener through the proper diameter and thread pitch dye with your finger tips. If you have to apply much more force to run the threads through the dye, then the threads are probably stretched and or the fastener has yielded. Just my .02 cents.
I believe that the theory behind the ARP rod bolts is that you're not approaching their load limit at the stretch recommended therefore you can reuse them. They actually recommend you torque them several times before putting into service to burnish the threads and seating surface of the bolt head & cap.

I did read that the oem rod bolts were one time use which was news to me, as so much is.

From ARP FAQ:
Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?
Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php

Last edited by jimvette999; 02-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
So i'm struggling to understand something here.... If (as some have said) rod bolts are only good for one 'torquing', how then do you check bearing clearances? I assume you have to bolt the big end of your rods together at full torque, then use a caliper to check size, and compare to your measurements on the crank and make sure your in spec, correct? If you do this, then aren't your bolts already stretched and no good anymore? What am i missing here? If I use my old bolts when I measure for clearance, then use new, stronger, ARP 2000 bolts (for example), will my tolerances not change? This is the question I originally started this thread about because I read some horror stories about things going south quickly on guys that did nothing but change rod bolts and ended up burning bearings, cranks, etc. Again, maybe this is just being over-thought, I tend to do that, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. OH, and here is a pic of my bolts. Anyone recognize and know the mfg??
Those bolts are CAT power products probably along with the rods......
I would buy a new set of 8740 ARP bolts and torque them to 47 ft/lbs. with moly paste. This is the backyard way to do it....but it works at this level.......when you start getting into 7000 rpm engines, you need a stretch gauge.......
If you can afford it...buy one....they are a neat tool.....but the 47 ft/lb. number is a good one and is what Eagle specs out of the box for small block rods. Skip the ARP 2000......not needed here....and when you get the new bolts....torque them to spec and measure for out of round....I really doubt they will be.......but anything can happen.

Jebby
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

That is why I torqued to 90-95% when I checked clearances. Full torque on final assembly.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodnick
Although my experience as a counter person is mostly with diesel engines. It is not recommended using rod bolts over. Those bolts have already been torqued which stretches the bolt. I am assuming gas would be the same,

Another for NEW rod bolts. Bolts are CHEAP in comparison to the expense and labor rebuilding the motor all over again, it only makes sense. It's your motor and your wallet.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

That is why I torqued to 90-95% when I checked clearances. Full torque on final assembly.
Same here...although I assumed 100% torque was expected...just wanted to leave a little margin.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
For many years I conducted engineering environmental stress testing on military gun and missile systems. Standard procedure was to torque any fastener one time, if removed, throw it away and replace with a new one. Even in our test hardware. A fasteners torque specification is rated by the fasteners material, diameter, length and thread pitch. The torque specs are the maximum torque that can be applied to the fastener before the material yields or breaks. If you go to home depot and buy a 1/2" grade 5 bolt used for assembling a work bench you can twist them with a 3/8" drive socket, while a 1/2" grade 10 bolt can be torqued to 180-200 ft. lbs. of torque without it yielding. If you cannot verify your rod bolts material and look up the torque specification on a chart, (or specified in an assembly instruction sheet) don't use them, let alone re-use them. Even though they may appear to be in perfect condition to your naked eye, they may have been yielded and may fail. I would never reuse any fastener that has been torqued. An easy test is, if you have a good dye set, you can thread the fastener through the proper diameter and thread pitch dye with your finger tips. If you have to apply much more force to run the threads through the dye, then the threads are probably stretched and or the fastener has yielded. Just my .02 cents.
Yes, good food for thought. Seems crazy that rod bolts cost what they do when they are potentially one-time-use items.

Thanks OCB
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Jebby, are you saying that you have replaced rod bolts without resizing with good results?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by jimvette999
Great point, I had forgotten about that...it's an important thing to have forgotten too.

I believe that the theory behind the ARP rod bolts is that you're not approaching their load limit at the stretch recommended therefore you can reuse them. They actually recommend you torque them several times before putting into service to burnish the threads and seating surface of the bolt head & cap.

I did read that the oem rod bolts were one time use which was news to me, as so much is.

From ARP FAQ:
Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?
Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php
Great info and link Jim, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Those bolts are CAT power products probably along with the rods......
I would buy a new set of 8740 ARP bolts and torque them to 47 ft/lbs. with moly paste. This is the backyard way to do it....but it works at this level.......when you start getting into 7000 rpm engines, you need a stretch gauge.......
If you can afford it...buy one....they are a neat tool.....but the 47 ft/lb. number is a good one and is what Eagle specs out of the box for small block rods. Skip the ARP 2000......not needed here....and when you get the new bolts....torque them to spec and measure for out of round....I really doubt they will be.......but anything can happen.

Jebby
Thanks for the info Jebby, good stuff. I want so badly to take the "backyard" approach, like the boys from Car Craft with their budget builds, but even they eventually upgrade EVERYTHING they build to push out sick power. It may take them until the 3rd or 4th build, but they do it. I have a little dough to throw at this, but part of me kind of wants to push this motor until I push too hard. How the heck else are you really going to learn the limits of these parts, and know what to do different next time? I have no experience pushing engine parts, and while learning the hard way can be costly, they are the experiences that build the opinions and advice each of us have to share here. I figure if I build this motor to be bullet proof now, what the heck am I going to do next winter when I need a project to keep me from losing my mind, (I live in Wisconsin)!!!

Thanks Guys
Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Wow...this has gone on a long time. I agree those are not ARP bolts....but they are going to be much better than OEM. With experience you can "feel" when a bolt isn't taking torque. Engines are rebuilt every day with old OEM bolts and they do fine if they haven't been stretched to yield. Same with ARP bolts....they are re-used constantly. Take a look at a Top Fuel engine that is rebuilt several times in a weekend....bolts aren't changed constantly. They take care but they torque them fast. These type bolts are not a one time use by design. My 540/555 has been apart numerous times in the last 15 years. I added a new set of ARP 2000's to it somewhere along the line just for fun...but no reason to suspect the old ones were going to fail. I later changed to Oliver rods with ARP 625 bolts. They've been apart once when I converted it to a turbo configuration. They had been torqued with a stretch gauge and readings recorded. They were fine and I stuck them right back in. And even with ARP lube it took a lot more than the TQ spec to get them stretched to the right measurement.

Worst case....I'd order a new set of 8740 bolts from ARP and put them in. I wouldn't worry about re-sizing the rods. They'll be fine as long as bearings looked good when you took it apart.

JIM
Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Wow...this has gone on a long time. I agree those are not ARP bolts....but they are going to be much better than OEM. With experience you can "feel" when a bolt isn't taking torque. Engines are rebuilt every day with old OEM bolts and they do fine if they haven't been stretched to yield. Same with ARP bolts....they are re-used constantly. Take a look at a Top Fuel engine that is rebuilt several times in a weekend....bolts aren't changed constantly. They take care but they torque them fast. These type bolts are not a one time use by design. My 540/555 has been apart numerous times in the last 15 years. I added a new set of ARP 2000's to it somewhere along the line just for fun...but no reason to suspect the old ones were going to fail. I later changed to Oliver rods with ARP 625 bolts. They've been apart once when I converted it to a turbo configuration. They had been torqued with a stretch gauge and readings recorded. They were fine and I stuck them right back in. And even with ARP lube it took a lot more than the TQ spec to get them stretched to the right measurement.

Worst case....I'd order a new set of 8740 bolts from ARP and put them in. I wouldn't worry about re-sizing the rods. They'll be fine as long as bearings looked good when you took it apart.

JIM
Thanks Jim, appreciate hearing your first hand experience. Regarding your last comment about "as long as the bearings look good"..... Mine did, with the exception of the #4 piston. That bearing was badly scored, as well as having signs of slight "friction wear". The scoring was pretty deep, like something got in between the bearing and the journal and just tore it up. Perhaps a bit of my grenaded valve tips. Anyway, the rod journal on that piston looked just fine which I thought was odd, but I suppose the journal is harder than the bearing. My concern is that the tolerances when originally assembled weren't right, and slapping a new set of standard size bearings in there and bolting it back together may result in the same issues.

My #1 journal did have a very slight score in it. You can feel it ever so slightly if you run a fingernail over the journal side-to-side. No idea if this is OK, or if I need to get it polished out? Grinding would seem like overkill for what it is, but again, I am no expert on this.

If I need to get the crank polished, might I need to up-size the bearings, or is polishing not going to remove enough material to require that?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Jebby, are you saying that you have replaced rod bolts without resizing with good results?
I have in the past.....but only with bolts. I have replaced bolt with success......with the big end not distorting but I only recommend it if you have the means to check it.......

Now with stock rods and nuts....no way.

A bolt comes out and goes back in.....there is no stud to press in and out and minute differences in straightness at the stud can cause lopsided clamping forces...

On a 500-600 horse 6500 rpm engine the bolts are almost overdesigned anyway......never seen one come apart due to fatigue but they will cycle fatigue and stretch after a few torques......

I say no problem on a second usage but a third is pushing it.....

Jebby
Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Probably shouldn't admit it...but many years ago I swapped many bolt/nut setups out by knocking them out and the new ones back in. Never checked for any out of round and never had a problem. Just gotta be careful.

Got any pics of the damaged bearing? If something got in there...it would be grooved....but is there any signs of the bearing burning up or flaking? At this point, you've raised enough questions about the previous builder it couldn't hurt to ck things. You can buy a cheap dial bore mic and an outside Mic and do well enough at home pretty easily to check everything. Polishing the crank doesn't remove measureable metal (not enough to worry about). If someone removes that much by polishing it will likely be out of round when done. If there is a scratch or divot in a journal that is not raised above the surface, I wouldn't grind it just for that. It won't hurt a thing. Think of it as a tiny oil reservoir! You can polish it at home with a shoe string and a piece of 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper if it's like what you described.

Yes...bearings are softer than the crank. Especially stock replacement style. "Race" type bearings are harder and are less likely to allow something to embed into them. I typically don't use the harder race bearings on a cast crank. It's good that whatever got in there damaged the bearing and not the crank.

JIM
Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

I would never reuse rod bolts!They stretch are one and done IMO.If you reuse them your motor MIGHT grenade!!! Why take a chance?

Last edited by gjohnson; 02-02-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:39 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Probably shouldn't admit it...but many years ago I swapped many bolt/nut setups out by knocking them out and the new ones back in. Never checked for any out of round and never had a problem. Just gotta be careful.

Got any pics of the damaged bearing? If something got in there...it would be grooved....but is there any signs of the bearing burning up or flaking? At this point, you've raised enough questions about the previous builder it couldn't hurt to ck things. You can buy a cheap dial bore mic and an outside Mic and do well enough at home pretty easily to check everything. Polishing the crank doesn't remove measureable metal (not enough to worry about). If someone removes that much by polishing it will likely be out of round when done. If there is a scratch or divot in a journal that is not raised above the surface, I wouldn't grind it just for that. It won't hurt a thing. Think of it as a tiny oil reservoir! You can polish it at home with a shoe string and a piece of 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper if it's like what you described.

Yes...bearings are softer than the crank. Especially stock replacement style. "Race" type bearings are harder and are less likely to allow something to embed into them. I typically don't use the harder race bearings on a cast crank. It's good that whatever got in there damaged the bearing and not the crank.

JIM
Hey Jim, pics of the bearings below. Obviously it's scored, but the darker color along the scoring looks like journal to bearing contact? So, I'm thinking I get a new set of bearings, spend some time measuring clearances, and either bolt it back together with some new bolts, or take to a machine shop to true things up if need be.

Something else.... I reached out to SCAT yesterday asking for recommendations on rod to journal clearances, and the guy said "we don't make recommendations, try Youtube....." YHTBFKM was my first thought. Apparently even if I were to provide significant information about my build and intended use, they still would not make recommendations as there are "too many variables".. Seriously?? So, what should I be looking to get for clearances with a ~500 hp, 5w-20 oil, naturally aspirated, ~6500rpm max, street car....
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just setup my BB with .003 clearance on the rods. Eagle H-beam with ARP bolts. And that is measured clearances. Bearing diameter-crank diameter=.003 I don't have much faith in plastigage.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

You had some trash go through there. Could have happened during the original assembly. From those pics I don't see anything that scares me about it not having enough clearance.

The rule of thumb is .001" for each inch of journal diameter. So for a small block you've got a 2.45" main and a 2.100" rod. You're looking at around .0025 for mains and .002" for rods. A little looser is better than a little tighter especially if you're going to spin it up hard. Especially on mains. You have to account for any crank runout and if it's a little tight it will make contact especially if it flexes a little.

The old joke is if it's a little looser...you'll know it....if it's a little too tight...everyone will know it when it comes apart!

If everything is dead on perfect "NASCAR" style...you can tighten things up....but this stuff ain't that good.

JIM
Old 02-03-2017, 09:27 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

BTW= flip the bearing over and take a pic of the numbers/codes on the back of it.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Reusing Rod Bolts??

Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

when building a engine you assemble the rods in a rod vise and torque to spec and measure the inside diameter of the bearing. then you measure the diameter of the crank pin to find the clearance. you do NOT throw out those rod bolts when you assemble the engine so don't worry about using them over. only if the bolts will not pull up to spec either using a torque wrench or a bolt stretch gauge do you need to replace them
The following users liked this post:
gbarmore (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

You had some trash go through there. Could have happened during the original assembly. From those pics I don't see anything that scares me about it not having enough clearance.

The rule of thumb is .001" for each inch of journal diameter. So for a small block you've got a 2.45" main and a 2.100" rod. You're looking at around .0025 for mains and .002" for rods. A little looser is better than a little tighter especially if you're going to spin it up hard. Especially on mains. You have to account for any crank runout and if it's a little tight it will make contact especially if it flexes a little.

The old joke is if it's a little looser...you'll know it....if it's a little too tight...everyone will know it when it comes apart!

If everything is dead on perfect "NASCAR" style...you can tighten things up....but this stuff ain't that good.

JIM
Once again I agree with Jim here......although I prefer to be on the loose side. I like .003 on mains and .0025 on the rods.....
Why 5w20 oil? I like something a little heavier.......and not for the bearings.....for the rest of the engine......

Jebby
Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM
gbarmore
Pro

JIM
Once again, great info Jim, thank you! Sounds like I just need to invest in some measuring tools and make sure to apply some simple rule of thumb, and go from there. Who doesn't love new tools.

BTW= flip the bearing over and take a pic of the numbers/codes on the back of it.

JIM
The bearings are standard King units. I was considering upgrading to the HP series, but with a 4x cost premium, I figured I'd ask for an opinion here...
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reusing Rod Bolts??