C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tripower electric choke possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tripower electric choke possible ?

Hi

I try again. Is there a possibility to install an electric choke to a tripower ?
I blocked the intake exhaust crossover , lifted the carbs higher to eliminate the carbs from becoming hot with all the issues then with hot fuel and boiling carbs.

Therefore the bimetallic choke doesn't function anymore.

It's not a big deal to start it, but I do need to hold down the gaspedal for 15 seconds or so to keep the engine running before it idles correctly, hence a electric choke would be great.

Last time I asked, many years ago, I got told that electric chokes work opposite to the tripower's choke linkage.

A manual choke is not considered by me.

Rgds Günther
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

are you willing to replace the complete center carburetor, if so clink on the link below

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/0-80683
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Wow, didn't know those are available.
It says for SB tripower, but I guess it is the same as the BB tripower ctr carb except for the choke, isn't it ?

Will the throttle linkage hook up to it as normal ?

Thanks so much for your info.

Brgds Günther
Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

I would contact Holley with your specific questions
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Yes, I will do.
I will also ask them if this choke can be fitted to my original carb.

Wbrgds Günther
Old 02-18-2017, 08:18 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It appears in the photo the fuel line goes in on the passenger side. Be sure to verify which side of the float bowl the fuel goes in. Also will the Chevy outer carb linkages hook up correctly to this carburetor? That almost looks like a center carb for a 340 Mopar tri-power.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

All this questions are already with Holley, including if the choke alone can be installed to my original carb. Will post replies from them.

Rgds Günther
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Listed for SBC because of this...

https://www.holley.com/search/?q=300-521

In the 80683 pic, this carbs fuel inlet is on passenger side if bowl is to front. GM BBC tripower fuel bowls go to the front, with fuel inlets on drivers side.
The pic also shows what appears to be "dual inlets"... but the other inlet may not be open or threaded.

My guess is that the BBC 427 reference is sales hype just to get you interested in tripower, not because this carb will necessarily fit BBC tripower. Interesting to see what Holley says.

I wonder also if the carb has the vac port for the BBC outboard carb vac controls since the 300-521 has mechanical linkage.

Maybe you can just swap out the fuel bowl.

Last edited by Tom454; 02-21-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:46 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Still waiting for Holley's reply.
I would really prefer to only install the electic choke control to my existing carb.

Rgds Günther
Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 AM
MelWff
Race Director

The main body casting of your carburetor has no provisions for the screws that attach the electric choke to the main body. Compare the passenger side of your carburetor to images of the 80683.
Did you block off the exhaust crossover with a metal plate in the center port of the gasket? If so drill one small hole, 1/4", in one side only and fabricate a longer choke rod from the coil to the choke mechanism on the carburetor.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Holley replied:

Your current center carburetor is a divorced choke setup and there is no electric choke conversion for those.
The 0-80683 center carb will not work with the setup you have.
Was worth a try , but there seems to be no hope.

Will have to check if I open the crossover up again with a longer link as you described when I replace the intake.

rgds Günther
Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Gunther.....I think I have a new Echlin solid state electronic choke conversion in my storage somewhere, I bought it for my 69 Z/28 Camaro....it should be the same unit for a Tri-power Holley. These were marketed to replace the bi-metallic choke thermostat on a Holley equipped Chevy....the electronic choke mechanism mounts on the old chokes boss on the intake manifold. If I can find it....$125 and it yours, let me check my parts in storage latter this week.

Last edited by Solid LT1; 02-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Thanks so much for the offer and I am very interested.

Shipping could stay within the US , to Houston to a working colleague who will visit Luxembourg in March for refresher training.

Brgds Günther
Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 PM
martaroony
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Choke

Hi Gunther, I don't know whether this is of any use to you , but I too were experiencing choke issues with a Tri -power and fuel percolation in hot conditions.
So what I did was install the 1/4 resin/fibre spacer plates , and then the obvious same problem arose as you have, that the choke linkage rod was to short.
So I bent a new one up with the old one side by side lengthening it by the 1/4 inch needed.
Now here's the kicker, you have to make sure that when you replace the original thermo coil element back on the new bar , that in fact you have wound it up the amount that is needed to work properly .
As , they usually flip around 1 turn when you remove the linkage bar.
Also you dont want to wind it too far as it will have the opposite effect by never releasing the choke.
It usually takes some playing with to get it spot on.
But when you do , it will function perfectly , just like the day it rolled off the line.
Mine will start immediately and run up to 1200 RPM, then if I blip the throttle, will come back to 1050 RPM, then after approx 30 secs, blip it again , it will settle to a nice idle..
Bearing in mine there are 3-4 toothed idle settings on the Green Plastic Cam wheel that controls the idle settings, and as the Thermo coil heats up and expands , it will click to the next tooth , but only when you blip the throttle.
I find it works perfectly , just as long as you understand fully how it works, and how to properly adjust it .
Good luck , hope that helps somewhat....
Kind regards Marty..
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Thanks, every info is welcome.
My other issue is that I blocked off the crossover, so the bimetall doesn't receive any heat anymore.

Will see if I can get this electric shoke and if it fits, if not I try the original setup again.

Rgds Günther
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Gunther,

I am trying to remember if I blocked the crossover on my Tripower setup. I do know that when I swapped to the mechanical secondary setup and 1/2" spacers, I had to fabricate a longer rod for the choke. Just can't remember about the crossover.

I do know that they make divorced electric choke conversions for Q-Jets. May be adaptable depending on direction of pull/push of the rod.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Default electric choke

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

Thanks, every info is welcome.
My other issue is that I blocked off the crossover, so the bimetall doesn't receive any heat anymore.

Will see if I can get this electric shoke and if it fits, if not I try the original setup again.

Rgds Günther
Get the part number before you do anything to see exactly what this conversion kit looks like

Get notified of new replies

To Tripower electric choke possible ?

Quick Reply: Tripower electric choke possible ?