C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 center gauge re-installation specifically lining up ac vents to ductwork

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 PM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1978 center gauge re-installation specifically lining up ac vents to ductwork

I am completing an interior restoration and am having difficulty in the re installation of the center gauge console. I cant seem to get the center top ac vents to line up properly with the ac duct work. any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisviktorjakematt
I am completing an interior restoration and am having difficulty in the re installation of the center gauge console. I cant seem to get the center top ac vents to line up properly with the ac duct work. any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
I have my console dangling out of its cradle but the vent is in place. I'll take a couple of photos and post. I suspect its with the ductwork alignment.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

The ductwork "floats" within the console cavity so it looks like the ductwork must be in place first. Then, and you can see the notches on the backside of the console where the vents sits, the grooves and side clips where the ductwork slips into place.

See if this works!

Name:  DSC04316.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  2.08 MB
The following users liked this post:
chrisviktorjakematt (02-21-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh, this one can certainly be a PITA. My '78 center duct wasn't even aligned properly from the factory, and anytime I've ever had the center gauge cluster bezel out it always puts up a good fight to return to the wrong shape it still "remembers". Sorry, not much help here, but I feel your pain.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I generally reach in from the drivers side and grab on the MAIN DUCT. It allows me to force it where I need it to go...BUT...not so much force that I actually bust out the small metal bracket that is holding the main duct to the heater box as it should be.

Now...keep in mind I already have the center gauge cluster held in place by the four screws that hold it to the speedo/tach panel and also the map pocket panel. Then I can install the center vent assembly that has the wiper switch mounted to it and get the two machine crews that hold it in place and then the two sheet metal screws that hold it to the center air duct metal bracket...and then finally the sheet metal screw that is used to secure it top the top dash pad.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
chrisviktorjakematt (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by DUB
I generally reach in from the drivers side and grab on the MAIN DUCT. It allows me to force it where I need it to go...BUT...not so much force that I actually bust out the small metal bracket that is holding the main duct to the heater box as it should be.

Now...keep in mind I already have the center gauge cluster held in place by the four screws that hold it to the speedo/tach panel and also the map pocket panel. Then I can install the center vent assembly that has the wiper switch mounted to it and get the two machine crews that hold it in place and then the two sheet metal screws that hold it to the center air duct metal bracket...and then finally the sheet metal screw that is used to secure it top the top dash pad.

DUB
I took out the glove box and was able to reach in and guide the ductwork into the vents. 6 screws and problem solved. Thanks
Chris
Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisviktorjakematt
I took out the glove box and was able to reach in and guide the ductwork into the vents. 6 screws and problem solved. Thanks
Chris

Glad that you found your own way of getting this. Same idea...but form a different direction. GOOD JOB!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 center gauge re-installation specifically lining up ac vents to ductwork

Quick Reply: 1978 center gauge re-installation specifically lining up ac vents to ductwork