C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Coil Bracket(s) for SBC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 AM
condor7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS Coil Bracket(s) for SBC

I currently am using the Holley Terminator and it is controlling my timing. I would like to go with the DIS and use LS2 coils. Found everything I need except brackets for mounting the LS coils. I don't want to "relocate" the coils to another location. I want to use them over the valve covers along with the LS2 short plug wires. So my dilemma is that all the brackets I have found so far for perimeter bolt pattern of early SBC covers require drilling into the covers to mount the brackets. I really do not want to do this. I thought about looking for adapter plate from early bolt pattern to LS valve covers but have not found any. May not be a do-able thing anyway. Anyone know or can point me in the right direction to find over the valve cover LS coil brackets that don't require drilling into the valve covers?
Motor is a GEN 1 with Dart heads, roller cam and so on. Heads use perimeter bolt valve covers. Not vortec. thoughts anyone?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

What kind of coils are you going to use?

I'm running LS2/3 round type- and the way they are set up- leaves several options to making your own brackets.

Some threaded rod and aluminum tubing is one way-- then just use the valve cover bolts to hold the rod by making up a bracket. Just measure the distance between spark plugs and cut the tubing to space them.

not a SBC- but you get the idea

Then the thought was to use a Big bock valve cover to hide them

But after going to several car shows- I decided hiding them looked best-

Still used threaded rod- Only 12 coils to relocate!!!

Plenty of room on the firewall- running Vintage Air- and will make a fiberglass cover for them-

I definitely like the clean valve cover look-

Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM
condor7
Instructor

Thank you for the input. I certainly have to think this through. I like the coils not showing like you have your set up. I have thought about mounting them just under the cylinder head and running the plug wires up instead of down (if the coils were on top of the valve covers). I am also running headers so have to weigh in the heat factor. The plan is to try and use the normal 7 or 8 inch LS type plug wire, meaning as short as possible with the DIS. Seen where coil mounts are on the very front of the cyl head, won't work for me, on top of the valve covers, in the fender wells (means longer plug wires, and some on the firewall. Firewall not an option as I think there might be to much EMI. I can fabricate mounts and so on if need be. I like a challenge. Might be time for a trip to the Home Depot once I get it figured out. Coils will be LS 2 or newer. Want to stay with GM stuff in the event of failure on the road as it will be easier to find/replace. Again thanks. Awesome motor you have there!

Last edited by condor7; 03-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Thanks-

When buying the coils- be careful as there are a lot of Chinese knock-offs out there!!!

The threaded rod is just a standard 5/16-18. For the sparkplug wires, I just got a roll of 8MM Taylor wire and boots from Summit. Do get a hold of a sparkplug crimping tool- will make life so much easier.

Richard
Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Should be easy enough to make up some brackets to mount them over the valve covers if you want. Just bend up some 2mm material to go over the covers and use some flat material between them to mount the coils? Though I personally prefer the clean look too.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM
condor7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard454
Thanks-

When buying the coils- be careful as there are a lot of Chinese knock-offs out there!!!

The threaded rod is just a standard 5/16-18. For the sparkplug wires, I just got a roll of 8MM Taylor wire and boots from Summit. Do get a hold of a sparkplug crimping tool- will make life so much easier.

Richard
Hey thanks for the input. I've read where the factory LS 2/3 coils are just fine unless one has a monster motor and needs additional spark. I know MDS has some but way to pricy and I most likely don't need that much coil anyway. I had not thought about making the wires myself. I have the crimping tool so would not be a problem. just concerned about heat from headers. Set up I have now I have the thermal sleeves on the wires down at the plug. The wires hold up just fine with them. Still in the planning stages. I like the idea of your coil covers. Looks very nice and clean.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by condor7
I currently am using the Holley Terminator and it is controlling my timing. I would like to go with the DIS and use LS2 coils. Found everything I need except brackets for mounting the LS coils. I don't want to "relocate" the coils to another location. I want to use them over the valve covers along with the LS2 short plug wires. So my dilemma is that all the brackets I have found so far for perimeter bolt pattern of early SBC covers require drilling into the covers to mount the brackets. I really do not want to do this. I thought about looking for adapter plate from early bolt pattern to LS valve covers but have not found any. May not be a do-able thing anyway. Anyone know or can point me in the right direction to find over the valve cover LS coil brackets that don't require drilling into the valve covers?
Motor is a GEN 1 with Dart heads, roller cam and so on. Heads use perimeter bolt valve covers. Not vortec. thoughts anyone?
what are you running in the distributer hole ? why I ask is I have an idea to put the coils in a BB chrome box that went over the distributer back in the day , have the wires running out the sides as normal looking. You would have to be running just the short oil pump drive plug unit for enough room though , and not sure that box would even fit without mod on a small block . Just an idea that I will be doing/trying eventually .

Or ,what about welding onto your rocker covers ? I have an alternate plan to mount those (LS coils) on rocker cover by getting some aluminium rod and drill n tap a hole in the middle and weld onto rocker cover to mount those coil brackets .(my covers are alloy ) then get them powder coated . fiddly but doable.

Last edited by bazza77; 03-22-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bazza77
what are you running in the distributer hole ? why I ask is I have an idea to put the coils in a BB chrome box that went over the distributer back in the day , have the wires running out the sides as normal looking. You would have to be running just the short oil pump drive plug unit for enough room though , and not sure that box would even fit without mod on a small block . Just an idea that I will be doing/trying eventually .
Here's a thought-

This would solve the oil pump problem and give you a cam sensor-

http://www.compu-tronix.com/DIS8.htm

Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Here's a thought-

This would solve the oil pump problem and give you a cam sensor-
Damn ,I already have one , not the same as that its smaller and gives just the cam signal .That looks a lot cooler and I certainly wouldn't try and hide that

I was suggesting a way to the O.P as he didn't actually say what he was running

Get notified of new replies

To LS Coil Bracket(s) for SBC

Quick Reply: LS Coil Bracket(s) for SBC