C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Ride height high

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:12 AM
ace_cobra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

70 Sting:
What coils are in there now, the stock coils for a 350? Do you have any aluminum mods on your engine? The ride height looks great
Old 03-23-2017, 02:48 PM
70 Sting
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, stock coils.
Everything on the car is to original specs.
Car height matches AIM except for 1/2" too high on rear driver side.

I should note: The previous owner ran 235's on the front which didn't fill the wheel well as nice. I replaced them with 245's (second photo).
Old 03-23-2017, 03:21 PM
JD77
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70 Sting
Hey ace_cobra, having the wrong size springs is also a possibility. The attached photo show what was installed in my 70 coupe. My mechanic said they looked like they came from a Ford van! You can certainly see the difference in the before and after shots.
Those are what the stock springs look like, unless mine also were from a Ford van. I just swapped in 550 springs last weekend and when I laid my new springs next to my old, they looked just like your picture.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 PM
ace_cobra
Racer

So there's one thing I still cannot quite grasp. If I get lower springs, the car will sit lower, yes, but the frame vs body will stay the same. Right now. my frame is to specs, but my body is 2 inches higher than it should be...
Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by ace_cobra
So there's one thing I still cannot quite grasp. If I get lower springs, the car will sit lower, yes, but the frame vs body will stay the same. Right now. my frame is to specs, but my body is 2 inches higher than it should be...
you only posted one pic of a body mount and that amount of shims with that puck is OK , if you want to check the others , the easy way is to look in the engine bay at the 2 at the base of the firewall, they should have a similar amount of shims/puck.

just looking at your side pic and just seeing the small amount of trans cross-member peeking out from under the rocker trim tells me your body to frame is distance is.............normal .

what/where are you measuring to say your frame is in spec?

Last edited by bazza77; 03-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

As I recallair conditioning springs were different than non AC cars. The F41 springs were larger diameter along with stiffer. I have a set of original AC springs that I can get a photo of if you want. When we autocrossed we got a set of the GM over the counter F41 replacements and cut a coil with a saw (less heat transfer). This brought the front end down.

The rear springs were 7 leaf for F41, 9 leaf base suspension, 6 leaf "Daytona". The more leaves had a greater arch and smoother ride. I have had some factory springs with the bands on them as well.

If you're going after ride height and all that give Van Steele or Vette Brakes a call. They can likely get you a combo that will meet your needs.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:13 AM
ace_cobra
Racer

bazaa77,
I was following the frame measurements in the CSM. I will get the page number once I get out to the garage.

Quick Reply: 1970 Ride height high