C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire help/advice

Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 PM
BigD1963
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help/advice

Hello all, I am new here, so first, thanks for having a a place that I saw had a lot of people offering good tech and experience based info (why I signed up) and a low volume of BS that doesn't really offer help.

I have 15x8 wheels, and am in dire need of tires. I am not replacing my wheels any time soon, but I am looking for good rubber, I do not care if it is in the relatively low lifespan area of 7k-15k as this is a weekend car.

I have a BB with a little over 500lb/ft and HP (on a dyno) with a VERY low torque curve, might not be your preference, but I love the stump pulling torque at hardly above idle.

The tires I have are over 10 years old, partially because the car has sat for a couple years both due to money and some repair issues that are now in process. What I ran on it before, when it was the daily driver was 235/60r15 front and 275/60r15 rear and they were Yokohama Avid T/A's (no longer made), which were about the best gripping thing in the 35k-50k mile tire.

I do not drag race it, sometimes I go hard off the light, but I am trying to keep a classic muscle car stance but have something that is descent (as long as I don't mash the peddle from the stop) off the line but more that will handle in the curves. I am talking mountain and coastal roads, not a closed race course. And from my experience across the web, and in my years of being around muscle cars from stangs to camaros to chargers, the Corvette and their community seem to get that driving style the best, good off the line but corner better, and still look like a muscle car.

So here are some I have looked at. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Maxxis Marauder MA-S1. These were recommended to me, but I do not personally know anyone who has used them, so opinions and experience would be great.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R. I know those are meh at best off the line, but how to they wear and how do they corner?

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. Heard good things across several car threads, however MOST are on cars I know don't handle (stock) or weekend warrior dragrace guys.

Firestone Indy500. I heard nothing but good things about these, however I cant find them in my size, or even close, but they were recommended all over the internet, so thoughts? Was my size dropped?

Toyo R888. These look AMAZING, however they would be a front tire only. They are in 235/50, and front I can definitely drop to 50 series, rear I can if there is a good tire, but rear I would prefer some sidewall as well. Thoughts on mixing the Toyo front with something else rear?

Hankook Ventus H101. I have seen these recommended at various places online that sell tires for musclecars, but I know ZILCH about these. The A/T Hankooks on my 4x4 are awesome though.

IMHO, BFG T/A's are not great, maybe they were in the early 70's but the old T/As I have seen nothing but marginal at best performance out of, beaten by plenty of others that are cheap to mid grade tires, my dad loves them, but they were the best in 73 apparently, but he and some of his friends never moved on. Unless they have changed DRASTICALLY those will only be on my car if there is NOTHING else for my rims, then im looking for new rims.

Cooper Cobras, I have not heard terribly good things about them, they seem to be a slightly modernized version of the old BFG's. I would go with them over the BFG, but I assume something above is going to be better

ANY OTHER TIRE I MAY HAVE MISSED? I hope that the combined experience of these forums can help me with a solution.

Thank you guys in advance for ANY help you an send my way, take care and waiting for some advice.

PS. This is a S. Cal car, so no snow EVER and not much rain except for this year.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If you're willing to live with short life, want real performance, and are not too worried about rain, consider Avons or Hoosiers. Otherwise when I was looking 18 months ago the Maxxis Marauder looked to be the best performance option... But it's still not a good modern performance tyre. I ended up buying new wheels (I bought 17"s, 18"s offer better choice but I prefer the look of the 17"s) in order to be able to get decent rubber.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 03-22-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maxxis

I have no idea how the Maxxis would compete on the skid pad with the couple of other 255/15 tires available.

But I don't care. I'm not planning on competing on any tracks with them.

They're H rated, unidirectional, and black walled. I'm perfectly happy with that. By the way, remember that speed ratings are maximum average continuous speed for an hour, not burst maximum. My skinny Continentals didn't seem to have an issue with my short burst to 148 in my E Jag in 1969.

Last edited by FlyLS6; 03-22-2017 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I had the Cooper Cobras on my '81. The date codes all expired and I changed them out for the Mickey Thompson STs.

I thought the Coopers were fairly good tires. I do like the MTs better for their looks and wet traction.

I don't race or anything just very spirited street driving. Just my .02.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD1963
Hello all, I am new here, so first, thanks for having a a place that I saw had a lot of people offering good tech and experience based info (why I signed up) and a low volume of BS that doesn't really offer help.

I have 15x8 wheels, and am in dire need of tires. I am not replacing my wheels any time soon, but I am looking for good rubber, I do not care if it is in the relatively low lifespan area of 7k-15k as this is a weekend car.

I have a BB with a little over 500lb/ft and HP (on a dyno) with a VERY low torque curve, might not be your preference, but I love the stump pulling torque at hardly above idle.

The tires I have are over 10 years old, partially because the car has sat for a couple years both due to money and some repair issues that are now in process. What I ran on it before, when it was the daily driver was 235/60r15 front and 275/60r15 rear and they were Yokohama Avid T/A's (no longer made), which were about the best gripping thing in the 35k-50k mile tire.

I do not drag race it, sometimes I go hard off the light, but I am trying to keep a classic muscle car stance but have something that is descent (as long as I don't mash the peddle from the stop) off the line but more that will handle in the curves. I am talking mountain and coastal roads, not a closed race course. And from my experience across the web, and in my years of being around muscle cars from stangs to camaros to chargers, the Corvette and their community seem to get that driving style the best, good off the line but corner better, and still look like a muscle car.

So here are some I have looked at. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Maxxis Marauder MA-S1. These were recommended to me, but I do not personally know anyone who has used them, so opinions and experience would be great.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R. I know those are meh at best off the line, but how to they wear and how do they corner?

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. Heard good things across several car threads, however MOST are on cars I know don't handle (stock) or weekend warrior dragrace guys.

Firestone Indy500. I heard nothing but good things about these, however I cant find them in my size, or even close, but they were recommended all over the internet, so thoughts? Was my size dropped?

Toyo R888. These look AMAZING, however they would be a front tire only. They are in 235/50, and front I can definitely drop to 50 series, rear I can if there is a good tire, but rear I would prefer some sidewall as well. Thoughts on mixing the Toyo front with something else rear?

Hankook Ventus H101. I have seen these recommended at various places online that sell tires for musclecars, but I know ZILCH about these. The A/T Hankooks on my 4x4 are awesome though.

IMHO, BFG T/A's are not great, maybe they were in the early 70's but the old T/As I have seen nothing but marginal at best performance out of, beaten by plenty of others that are cheap to mid grade tires, my dad loves them, but they were the best in 73 apparently, but he and some of his friends never moved on. Unless they have changed DRASTICALLY those will only be on my car if there is NOTHING else for my rims, then im looking for new rims.

Cooper Cobras, I have not heard terribly good things about them, they seem to be a slightly modernized version of the old BFG's. I would go with them over the BFG, but I assume something above is going to be better

ANY OTHER TIRE I MAY HAVE MISSED? I hope that the combined experience of these forums can help me with a solution.

Thank you guys in advance for ANY help you an send my way, take care and waiting for some advice.

PS. This is a S. Cal car, so no snow EVER and not much rain except for this year.
I am going through a mid life crisis.......wanting new wheels and tires, and have been looking myself for what's the best overall look and performance. The majority of guys have gone over to the dark side, and went with 18's and hi perf tires.......My beer budget, and personal taste have been a huge issue. I guess I'm old school, and like the taller sidewall tires that came on the car.

So when looking, I tried to find combinations that still had some sidewall,...17's, and filled up the wheel well. Limits tires to 255/50-17, and if you can find it,...275/50-17. After finding tires that might work,...I found custom wheels cost waaaaaaay more than I was willing to pay. Which left me with the obvious stock optional size 255/60-15.

My 406 puts down about 540 horse, and with 295/50-15's could smoke them after the second gear shift, buy nailing the gas around 45 mph. So I tried 295/55-15 MT drag radials. This fits on my 9 inch wheels, but I think they look

a bit too big for the car. I kind of like them, but this round I am considering MT 255/60-15's for a better "fit", and still have that R-2 sticky compound. These will fit your 8 inch wheels like stock.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default or you can go to 18"

my new project or rabbit hole, 15" are S rated = 118 top mph, 18" newest, latest, sticky tires. so what if they last 15 to 20k, that would be 3 to 4 years for me
Old 03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Like Money Pit, I'm also going through my mid life crises. My wife would rather me dump $$ into the 72 vette than a new girl friend. I like the Nitto's and MT drag radials. I have 15x8's and plan on ordering AR TT's custom rear wheels 15x9's this summer.

Front 235/60/15. Back 275/60/15

Last edited by ENCSDOUG; 03-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire help/advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire help/advice