C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Power steering fluid heavy leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C3 Power steering fluid heavy leak

The car is a '72 big block, with a manual transmission. In 2014, I replaced the pump, control valve, and the 4 hydraulic lines that connect the pump to the control valve and the control valve to the cylinder. The system has dripped a little fluid since then, but nothing major (just annoying).

Last week, I noticed that the drops of fluid had been replaced by a large puddle on the floor. As a test, I topped off the reservoir and took it for a test drive. Within 10 minutes, I could feel the telltale signs of fluid loss. After it cooled down, I took the cap off the reservoir, and it was almost empty. The back of the pump looks clean and dry, as do the high pressure and return lines. Underneath though, it's a complete mess. There's fluid all over the control valve, and my new lower control arms just got some added rust protection. Kinda has a "sprayed" look. I ran out of time last night, so in an effort to diagnose the problem, ...

1. Will a control valve fail so badly that it leaks all the fluid (under pressure) in 10-15 minutes?

2. Is it more likely a failed hydraulic hose? If so, the pressure hose, return hose, or one of the left/right hoses?

3. Of those 4 hoses, is there a specific hose that is notorious for failure? I ask because I'd like to keep a spare on hand, and I wouldn't need to buy the entire hose kit ($12 vs $70).
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM
twofast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc9889
The car is a '72 big block, with a manual transmission. In 2014, I replaced the pump, control valve, and the 4 hydraulic lines that connect the pump to the control valve and the control valve to the cylinder. The system has dripped a little fluid since then, but nothing major (just annoying).

Last week, I noticed that the drops of fluid had been replaced by a large puddle on the floor. As a test, I topped off the reservoir and took it for a test drive. Within 10 minutes, I could feel the telltale signs of fluid loss. After it cooled down, I took the cap off the reservoir, and it was almost empty. The back of the pump looks clean and dry, as do the high pressure and return lines. Underneath though, it's a complete mess. There's fluid all over the control valve, and my new lower control arms just got some added rust protection. Kinda has a "sprayed" look. I ran out of time last night, so in an effort to diagnose the problem, ...

1. Will a control valve fail so badly that it leaks all the fluid (under pressure) in 10-15 minutes?

2. Is it more likely a failed hydraulic hose? If so, the pressure hose, return hose, or one of the left/right hoses?

3. Of those 4 hoses, is there a specific hose that is notorious for failure? I ask because I'd like to keep a spare on hand, and I wouldn't need to buy the entire hose kit ($12 vs $70).
1. Mine did.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Marc-

The first thing I'd do is try to isolate the leak.

About 1 in 1000 times when we rebuild a valve here we can cut the main seal when putting the two halves together. When this happens the valve will leak. So anything in the valve is possible

But before you tear something apart... sometimes the hoses don't seat in the valve when you tighten them up... so what we like to do here is tighten them down, then back them off a 1/2 turn, then tighten them again. I'd do this at the cylinder and the valve.

I'd also make sure the return line clamp is tight.

-Willcox
The following users liked this post:
marc9889 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It was the control valve! It cleaned everything with hot soapy water in a spray bottle, then added just a little bit of fluid to the reservoir. Even with the engine not running, I was getting a steady drip from the bottom of the valve. I broke out the pickle fork and had it removed in about 40 minutes. Advance Auto Parts is sending me a new one under warranty, so this repair shouldn't cost me much. Hope the new valve lasts longer.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by marc9889
It was the control valve! It cleaned everything with hot soapy water in a spray bottle, then added just a little bit of fluid to the reservoir. Even with the engine not running, I was getting a steady drip from the bottom of the valve. I broke out the pickle fork and had it removed in about 40 minutes. Advance Auto Parts is sending me a new one under warranty, so this repair shouldn't cost me much. Hope the new valve lasts longer.
I used to change those things every 3 years or so. I think all the cores are worn out. I bought a brand new Lone Star unit 2 years ago. Not a drop since.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Power steering fluid heavy leak

Quick Reply: C3 Power steering fluid heavy leak