C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusible link in starter wire (69)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:12 AM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fusible link in starter wire (69)

Going through my engine bay harnesses to tidy up things and remove all of Bubba work. The factory fusible link in the starter wire looks awful - melted & soft - what is the best repair? Original type fusible link (14 ga?), a buss type glass fuse in-line, a modern snap in fuse in-line? Or can it even be eliminated? If going with actual fuses, what amp?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 68,
The engine/ignition harness is often the harness that's in the poorest general condition.
It tends to be especially bad in the area of the starter and where it runs across the rear of the engine.
I think this is because of it's environment…high heat and the hot oil and gas fumes in some compartments.
If the fusible link at the starter has deteriorated I'd be wondering about the condition of the rest of the harness too.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I have replaced with a new fusible link, using soldered butt-joint connectors on each end to join the wires. Follow with two (2) layers of heat shrink insulation on each butt connector.

Good as new.

Larry

PS: I DO NOT recommend crimping these connectors.........solder only.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Use a new fusible link. Also, use dual wall heat shrink tube over the connection because it's the only type that actually seals a joint.

Get notified of new replies

To Fusible link in starter wire (69)

Quick Reply: Fusible link in starter wire (69)